News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dabs may not survive this season,

Started by Ed Vette, November 12, 2023, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StompYouOT

I can't imagine they will fire Daboll if for no other reason that they don't want to go through another search.  He knows offense and we have a chance to draft a franchise QB next April so I think the prevailing thought from ownership would be to give this GM/Coach a chance with their own QB and see if we get back to "Coach of the Year" days.

However it's not the 2-8 record that is the problem, it's losing by 40 points every week.  I don't know if any coach can survive that, they just look lifeless and pathetic.  How do you justify retaining that? I don't ever remember days this bad and I was around for the Kent Graham days. 

Gmo11

Quote from: StompYouOT on November 13, 2023, 03:41:35 PMI can't imagine they will fire Daboll if for no other reason that they don't want to go through another search.  He knows offense and we have a chance to draft a franchise QB next April so I think the prevailing thought from ownership would be to give this GM/Coach a chance with their own QB and see if we get back to "Coach of the Year" days.

However it's not the 2-8 record that is the problem, it's losing by 40 points every week.  I don't know if any coach can survive that, they just look lifeless and pathetic.  How do you justify retaining that? I don't ever remember days this bad and I was around for the Kent Graham days. 

You could easily justify it by saying there's nothing they can do.  They're going to lose by 30 points every single week regardless of who's coaching or what the situation is because they don't have a QB.  And because of that, the offense is going 3 and out or turning it over every possession and the defense can hold their own for a while but eventually it'll all unravel and they lose by 30.  Nothing can or will change that except for the opponent inexplicably doing some incredibly stupid things to keep the game close.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 13, 2023, 03:35:21 PMThat wasn't a wisecrack; it was my effort to try and keep things respectful.  To suggest that people who were "on the DJ bandwagon" are flawed or don't know what they are talking about is, as I suggested, inappropriate, especially in light of injury issues.  We always preach to be respectful and allow all viewpoints, and that comment seemed to be the antithesis of what we preach.
So now you're going to attempt to control content based on observation of other sites? It wasn't meant to be disrespectful and you know it. It's a fact. Getting back to the point here, their followers will vote according to how they were influenced by their content. If another site that wasn't supportive all season took a vote, they would get different results. The lack of Daboll support may be a vocal minority but it's certainly not less than 10%. Among his followers it is. If this keeps up, less than 10% will go up and up.

Right now they support Daboll. They are on the Daboll bandwagon. That can change. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

As I said, Daboll most likely will be back and should be back barring a series of upcoming lopsided losses to mediocre teams. But he has done a poor job of coaching this year and deserves to be chastised for it.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 13, 2023, 03:24:43 PMYou are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to my different opinion.   We can disagree, but it's not appropriate to put others down for having a different opinion.

Does that just apply to football or does it apply to all things?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Painter

Quote from: Painter on November 13, 2023, 10:45:51 AMThere is zero chance that Brian Daboll will not be the Giants HC in 2024. I repeat: zero, no chance, nil, Ney!, negative, nada. The reason should be obvious.

Even with the absence or unavailability of essential players at QB and throughout the roster, the team's performance, and outcomes are inexplicable to the owners, staff, players individually and as a whole, to the media, and to us chickens.

And to be sure, there is nothing to gained other than catering to our personal conceits by now concluding that last season's COTY was and is a fraud. Even if that was so, it does nothing to explain the facts of this otherwise inexplicable season nor will anything which occurs for better or worse over the remaining 7 games.

The tragedy of this season is that we now have even more unanswered questions and face greater challenges than we might have imagined. Still, there is nothing to be gained by indulging our frustration when otherwise guided by the evil twins, Rush and Rash.

Cheers! 

Philosophers

There is talk sometimes of coaches ho wear out their welcome with players agter 6-7 years as their personalities grind on players.

Dabs has come across as a player's coach not a task master.  If he is losing the team in terms of not getting them to listen to him, what does that say about him or the players in the team?

The team has quit. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on November 14, 2023, 11:30:31 AMThere is talk sometimes of coaches ho wear out their welcome with players agter 6-7 years as their personalities grind on players.

Dabs has come across as a player's coach not a task master.  If he is losing the team in terms of not getting them to listen to him, what does that say about him or the players in the team?

The team has quit. 
Brings to mind that there is a difference in losing the locker room and not risking injury by the level of intensity on the field. You make a good point.

When I see a complete turnaround in Run Blocking from one week to the next and two consecutive abysmal showings by the Defense and a steep decline from their peak, it's an indication that it's more than just talent. Watching the Bills last night with all their mistakes I saw a high level of intensity. They have to show enough not to hurt their market value but there are situations where it's contested passes, gang tackling and getting blindsided where it becomes a business decision.

I'm not as sure as you are but it's something to watch.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin