News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Old coaching axiom

Started by Giant Obsession, November 12, 2023, 08:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

one which John Madden, George Allen and other lived by.....get that ZERO off the scoreboard.

Now we all know the disaster that was coming and those 3 points really would not matter in the grand scheme cuz we weren't winning this game once if they played 100 times.

BUT for the psyche of his team and especially his defense why not kick the gimme FG in the first period.  Especially after having been backed up in our own end for most of the period.  It was a miracle we only trailed 7 - 0 at the point of the game.

Of course it was nice he did kick it when we trailed 42 - 7.

Every game for the last month Pillsbury defies to me common football logic.

I believe our OC was hired because he won a Madden tournament.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

ozzie

I agree. After getting shutout in their first meeting,  GET SOME POINTS ANY WAY YOU CAN!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

TONKA56

At that time it was still only 0-7. I'm the guy that always wants to go for it and even I thought it was right just to take the 3 and kick off. 

jgrangers2

Completely disagree. Unless you're playing for moral victories, a field goal there gets you nowhere.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on November 12, 2023, 08:18:02 PMCompletely disagree. Unless you're playing for moral victories, a field goal there gets you nowhere.

I'm with you. I had no problem with the decision to go for it there. When it's only 7-0, you're still playing to try to win the game, and there is no way you're winning this game kicking field goals instead of going for touchdowns.

Once that decision was made however, I think they could have come up with a better offensive play call than they did.

TDToomer

Quote from: Giant Obsession on November 12, 2023, 08:03:48 PMone which John Madden, George Allen and other lived by.....get that ZERO off the scoreboard.

Now we all know the disaster that was coming and those 3 points really would not matter in the grand scheme cuz we weren't winning this game once if they played 100 times.

BUT for the psyche of his team and especially his defense why not kick the gimme FG in the first period.  Especially after having been backed up in our own end for most of the period.  It was a miracle we only trailed 7 - 0 at the point of the game.

Of course it was nice he did kick it when we trailed 42 - 7.

Every game for the last month Pillsbury defies to me common football logic.

I believe our OC was hired because he won a Madden tournament.

Enough knocking Daboll for his weight. His body has nothing to do with his coaching and you've done it in multiple thread. Does it make you feel better? What's your BMI? :boooo:
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Woody

Quote from: TONKA56 on November 12, 2023, 08:11:21 PMAt that time it was still only 0-7. I'm the guy that always wants to go for it and even I thought it was right just to take the 3 and kick off.
On the road you take the points ....period.
Instantly gave momentum by to Dallas with the stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gmo11

This was never going to be a game won by FGs.  At that time they still have hope to keep it close enough to steal it late.  They don't expect to be down there deep in Cowboys territory all that often.  Going for it is the right decision.  Giving it to Barkley up the middle without any sort of misdirection... may not have been the right decision.