News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How low do you think the Giants can draft and still get an elite QB prospect?

Started by MightyGiants, November 13, 2023, 11:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

How low to draft one straight up with their first-round pick?

How low to be able to trade up and acquire an elite QB prospect?

This question is most focused on the early draft followers and college football watchers.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Not long.

I am not bullish on this class as everyone seems to be.

Williams and Maye are my clear top 2 QBs.

Daniels seems to flying up the boards with his huge year and traits. Very fast, quick release. However, the SEC defenses stink this year and I question can he make the tight throws in the pockets.

McCarthy is still a huge question mark based off Michigans schedule and style of play that is not open to QBs.

Penix, Nix are not franchise QBs. Their success is dependent on horrible defensive play in the Pac 12 and the have been in college forever. Nix has serious mobility issues and injury history. Nix just seems to be a very good college QB who really struggled in the SEC.

Ewers is interesting but he has been hurt a lot and has been inconsistent.

If we have a top 2 pick, take WIlliams or Maye. Ifyou fall in love with Daniels - so be it. He is interesting and has some really nice traits.

Bob In PA

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 11:51:50 AMI am not bullish on this class as everyone seems to be.
JT: Right there with you.  We are in the distinct minority here (subject to change from us or them).

I think a hot hand will emerge between now & season's end; that guy will become a consensus high 1st-round pick.

Then we'll have the pre-draft stuff pro-days, bowl games, etc., and IMO Daniels will shine.

Regardless of the accuracy of my predictions, I have no doubt there will be one (and IMO only one) guy in this class who will prove eventually to have been worth a high first-rounder. 

Others may do well (probably by getting on better teams than the top one or two QB's selected) but in the long run, IMO it's not a good draft for QB-desperate teams. IMO the Giants are NOT one of them.  Jones is still under contract, so I can't see the Giants eating his salary. Anyway, I'm hoping (not so secretly) for Drew Allar from Penn State in 2025, after the Giants maneuver into position to get this year's best "elite WR" prospect who (right now) I believe is Harrison, Jr.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

files58

Everyone is talking Williams and Maye, probably rightly so. All the hype though does cloud the picture. I'm looking for college QB's that have the skills, raw material that can be refined/developed into a starting/winning/franchise type QB. I've taken notice of Brady Cook from Missouri.

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 13, 2023, 12:51:35 PMJT: Right there with you.  We are in the distinct minority here (subject to change from us or them).

I think a hot hand will emerge between now & season's end; that guy will become a consensus high 1st-round pick.

Then we'll have the pre-draft stuff pro-days, bowl games, etc., and IMO Daniels will shine.

Regardless of the accuracy of my predictions, I have no doubt there will be one (and IMO only one) guy in this class who will prove eventually to have been worth a high first-rounder. 

Others may do well (probably by getting on better teams than the top one or two QB's selected) but in the long run, IMO it's not a good draft for QB-desperate teams. IMO the Giants are NOT one of them.  Jones is still under contract, so I can't see the Giants eating his salary. Anyway, I'm hoping (not so secretly) for Drew Allar from Penn State (in 2025, after the Giants maneuver into position to get this year's best "elite WR" prospect who (right now) I believe is Harrison, Jr.

Bob

I don't think you're in the minority, Bob. I believe there's broad consensus that Williams and Maye are the only two top 5 QBs, with three others being 1st round talent.  I'm bullish on starting Devita for the remainder of the season to give us the best opportunity to draft the aforementioned top 5 QBs.

SlotCorner

I think this is not the right way to look at it. If Schoen has a QB he thinks can be the franchise guy, draft slot shouldn't matter -- he has to go get him and spend whatever it takes to get there.

When he was in Buffalo, they ID'ed Allen. They didn't have to move up too much, but they did end up trading some guys and moving some picks to get in position. They have to do the same here.

We are going to be picking top 4, I would guess. Getting up to 1 may take a haul, but what is a franchise guy worth?

Philosophers

Guys - please look back over the past 5-8 years and for each draft when there were QB prospects, ask yourself and be honest, "how many did you think would be good NFL QBs that did not turn out that way?"

This whole Drake Maye and Caleb Williams are can't miss is pure hooey.  99.9% are can miss these two and wvery other 2024 QB prospect included.  Why?  Much faster NFL defenses and decensive players, tighter windows to throw into, less time to identify the defensive scheme for that play and where trouble is.

DaveBrown74

I have not seen a single person say or even vaguely suggest that either Maye or Williams are "can't miss."

Both are highly rated QB prospects. That does not mean (and never has meant) "can't miss." Everyone knows QB prospects can and do bust fairly frequently. So do other positions, like offensive tackle (see Evan Neal).

That doesn't mean you shouldn't take one of Maye or Williams if you have done your due diligence and hold the prospect in high regard.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on November 13, 2023, 03:06:30 PMGuys - please look back over the past 5-8 years and for each draft when there were QB prospects, ask yourself and be honest, "how many did you think would be good NFL QBs that did not turn out that way?"

This whole Drake Maye and Caleb Williams are can't miss is pure hooey.  99.9% are can miss these two and wvery other 2024 QB prospect included.  Why?  Much faster NFL defenses and decensive players, tighter windows to throw into, less time to identify the defensive scheme for that play and where trouble is.

Joe, I'm not aware of a single post that suggest either prospect is guaranteed to succeed, akin to Elway or Luck; of course there's risk. What exactly are you proposing?  Do you want to give DJ another year, and hope he can avoid another bottom 7 passing performance?  We already know DJ is a bust; however, Willams and Maye futures are a mystery.  I much rather take a chance on the latter than endure one more season of the former.

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on November 13, 2023, 03:13:17 PMJoe, I'm not aware of a single post that suggest either prospect is guaranteed to succeed, akin to Elway or Luck; of course there's risk. What exactly are you proposing?  Do you want to give DJ another year, and hope he can avoid another bottom 7 passing performance?  We already know DJ is a bust; however, Willams and Maye futures are a mystery.  I much rather take a chance on the latter than endure one more season of the former.

I am not proposing DJ at all.  All I am saying is that we temper our enthusiasm a bit about prospects.  We need a new QB for sure.

I know I can find some posts here by some folks who have touted Williams as a generational type talent especially posts from a few weeks ago.

MightyGiants

@Philosophers and @DaveBrown74

I think your views represent both sides of the spectrum.  The reality is many first-round QBs bust at an alarmingly high rate.  It's likely a combination of scouting being less than an exact science, many of the most talented QBs going to the teams least equipped to develop their talent and put QB prospects in the position to win, and the reality that the college game is significantly different than the NFL game.

Still, drafting a QB (usually in round one) is still the best way to acquire a franchise QB.  In terms of the Giants, the play by DJ puts his ceiling in serious doubt, but more importantly, DJ's health (mainly his neck and ACL is still a major injury) would seemingly make riding with DJ ill-advised.  This is even more true when you consider the financial advantage of a QB playing on a rookie contract (Which will overcome even the sunk costs in DJ's current contract)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

3rd overall most likely but if you want one of those two guys you're going to have to trade up to prevent someone else from doing so. Chicago, Carolina, Arizona and NE are the most likely teams to finish as bad or worse than us this year. Chicago is going to take a quarterback either with their pick or the pick they got from Carolina last year. Because of the contract Arizona is pretty much married to Murray unless they can convince someone else to take him off their hands and New England is quarterback needy.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on November 13, 2023, 03:20:20 PMI am not proposing DJ at all.  All I am saying is that we temper our enthusiasm a bit about prospects.  We need a new QB for sure.

I know I can find some posts here by some folks who have touted Williams as a generational type talent especially posts from a few weeks ago.

Fair enough, my friend.  From the macro perspective, I agree with your overall point.  Regardless, I'm hoping we're afforded an opportunity to draft either player.

SlotCorner

The draft is a crapshoot, and every year QB prospects that are promised to be all pros never make a second contract. Many more misses than hits.

We have to trust Schoen knows how to scout QBs that will fit in and do well in Daboll's system. The only other ways are drafting a bunch of QBs until you find a good one (taking draft picks away from other positions), or getting one through free agency (tying up all your cap room). The terrible thing is, rarely are one of these guys outright busts. The team usually waits a couple years before it decides.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 13, 2023, 11:47:07 AMHow low to draft one straight up with their first-round pick?

How low to be able to trade up and acquire an elite QB prospect?

This question is most focused on the early draft followers and college football watchers.
Very Comparable to 2020. I think you'll have 2 guys top 5, 3 total in the top 10, and 6 total by the end of the 1st round and 10 picks into the 2nd.