News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How low do you think the Giants can draft and still get an elite QB prospect?

Started by MightyGiants, November 13, 2023, 11:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgrangers2

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 13, 2023, 04:27:53 PMVery Comparable to 2020. I think you'll have 2 guys top 5, 3 total in the top 10, and 6 total by the end of the 1st round and 10 picks into the 2nd.

We're still six months away. Not sure how many people would have had Anthony Richardson going 4th overall or Will Levis dropping to the 2nd round at this time last year. Not to mention how CJ Stroud improved his stock in the Georgia playoff game last year. There's no telling what can happen over the next six months. Right now, it does feel like Williams and Maye are locks to be the top 2 QBs off the board, but someone like Jayden Daniels can certainly shoot up boards.

SlotCorner

I'm not a big college football dude, so I won't have a strong opinion one way or another. But why isn't anyone talking about Jayden Daniels? Has LSU not played anyone? Dude's highlights are ridiculous. He put up 500 total yards by himself against Florida.

If we want insight into what Schoen / Daboll are likely looking for remember that Josh Allen was a physical freak with accuracy issues.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 13, 2023, 04:27:53 PMVery Comparable to 2020. I think you'll have 2 guys top 5, 3 total in the top 10, and 6 total by the end of the 1st round and 10 picks into the 2nd.

Jess,

I appreciate this answer.  This was exactly what I was looking for.   I have one more question, how many, in your opinion, of these prospects have the ceiling of being elite QBs?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 13, 2023, 02:51:39 PMIf Schoen has a QB he thinks can be the franchise guy, draft slot shouldn't matter -- he has to go get him and spend whatever it takes to get there.

When he was in Buffalo, they ID'ed Allen. They didn't have to move up too much, but they did end up trading some guys and moving some picks to get in position. They have to do the same here.

We are going to be picking top 4, I would guess. Getting up to 1 may take a haul, but what is a franchise guy worth?

My thoughts exactly.

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 13, 2023, 04:20:46 PMThe draft is a crapshoot, and every year QB prospects that are promised to be all pros never make a second contract. Many more misses than hits.

We have to trust Schoen knows how to scout QBs that will fit in and do well in Daboll's system. The only other ways are drafting a bunch of QBs until you find a good one (taking draft picks away from other positions), or getting one through free agency (tying up all your cap room). The terrible thing is, rarely are one of these guys outright busts. The team usually waits a couple years before it decides.
Daboll is no slouch either when it comes to identifying QB talent. Remember, he coached both Hurts and Tua at Alabama. We know his history with Allen.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 13, 2023, 02:51:39 PMI think this is not the right way to look at it. If Schoen has a QB he thinks can be the franchise guy, draft slot shouldn't matter -- he has to go get him and spend whatever it takes to get there.
Slot: I believe my previous post (just above) but also AGREE with your statement. 

My warning (not to you; you already know) is: I do not see "that guy" and I'm assuming the Giants don't either.

Your post is dead-on correct. You don't get "QB desperate" (as many fans tend to do).  You take the best player available with the pick you have -or- you KNOW a guy's gonna be good and you do everything you can to get him.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

SlotCorner

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 10:14:38 AMSlot: I believe my previous post (just above) but also AGREE with your statement. 

My warning (not to you; you already know) is: I do not see "that guy" and I'm assuming the Giants don't either.

While I appreciate that, I don't think we know what Schoen / Daboll think. I keep coming back to what happened in Buffalo. Josh Allen was seen as a flawed prospect with tools, and his pick at 7 was a surprise. The Buffalo admin thought it could make something out of him. There may be a similar guy coming out, and I am not sure we know.

Bob In PA

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 14, 2023, 11:36:55 AMWhile I appreciate that, I don't think we know what Schoen / Daboll think. I keep coming back to what happened in Buffalo. Josh Allen was seen as a flawed prospect with tools, and his pick at 7 was a surprise. The Buffalo admin thought it could make something out of him. There may be a similar guy coming out, and I am not sure we know.
Slot: While you're again correct about all that IMO, remember the crap-shoot aspect of the draft.

It is true that those who see "The Guy" are sometimes correct (your point).

It is also true that those who take a "shot in the dark" & come up winners often appear to be brilliant although in reality they were just plain lucky. lol

Bob

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 11:44:05 AMSlot: While you're again correct about all that IMO, remember the crap-shoot aspect of the draft.

It is true that those who see "The Guy" are sometimes correct (your point).

It is also true that those who take a "shot in the dark" & come up winners often appear to be brilliant although in reality they were just plain lucky. lol

Bob
And for those who take a "shot in the dark" with a high draft pick and it doesn't work out, they should themselves be shot in the dark!  :laugh:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on November 14, 2023, 12:01:15 PMAnd for those who take a "shot in the dark" with a high draft pick and it doesn't work out, they should themselves be shot in the dark!  :laugh:
Tim: Good one! Bob

Uni

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 14, 2023, 09:48:32 AMI'm not a big college football dude, so I won't have a strong opinion one way or another. But why isn't anyone talking about Jayden Daniels? Has LSU not played anyone? Dude's highlights are ridiculous. He put up 500 total yards by himself against Florida.
It was 606!

I would be quite happy with Maye, Williams, Daniels, or Penix, in that order. All of them bring multiple elite traits to the table, Penix's arm is ridiculous. He was ripping frozen ropes into the wind against Utah. I'm looking forward to the OSU Michigan game to see if McCarthy has the goods or not, so he's TBD. But the way the draft order is shaking out, the Giants should be able to select on of the top four. If they traded down from #1 or #2 and selected Penix or Daniels and picked up another first round pick I would be ecstatic.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 09:50:27 AMJess,

I appreciate this answer.  This was exactly what I was looking for.  I have one more question, how many, in your opinion, of these prospects have the ceiling of being elite QBs?
I would say 3 right now. Rather that's Maye, Daniels, and Mccarthy, or Williams, Maye and Daniels it's hard to tell right now.

Williams has been an elite prospect since he stepped on the field but his height and mental toughness are huge question marks.

Maye has been elite since he walked in the door behind Sam Howell. The real problem with Maye Is a watered down ACC and the offense that he plays in being really simplistic.

Mccarthy was a guy coming into college but not heralded one. He had to earn everything but his mechanics are beautiful and he processes and moves really well in the pocket with deadly accuracy. The knock on him is that he has an amazing team around him and while he has full command of a pro offense he doesn't have to do it all himself and is typically sat in the 3rd quarter because they've dominated someone.

Daniels is putting up video game numbers passing and rushing. People don't realize it because his birthday is later on in the year but he's been in college 5 years and will be 23 before the draft. While he's putting up amazing numbers I personally would comp him to Hendon Hooker the Tennessee Qb that came out last year.

Bo Nix and Micheal Penix are having absolutely elite years but they have the same question marks in that they are both old and often injured despite elite years this year and really good years last year.

Quinn Ewers and Jaxson Dart both are absolute gunslingers with moxy, and confidence. They can make all the throws and Dart can run like a RB. They are just really raw and would take time to develop but could possibly be something great in the right situation.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 14, 2023, 12:49:54 PMI would say 3 right now. Rather that's Maye, Daniels, and Mccarthy, or Williams, Maye and Daniels it's hard to tell right now.
J: Really nice post.  As of today I agree completely, but there is a lot of time between now and draft day. Bob