News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How Bad Are The Giants?

Started by Philosophers, November 13, 2023, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

By end of last year we thought we might be a +\- 0.500 team with a clear path to getting to the playoffs say in 2024.

Are we a full on reconstruction project now with virtually no pieces to build on and a management/coaching staff on a seat hearing up quickly?

It's one thing to lose but not quit but there seems to be no fight left with the team.  That's on the head coach.  Is Dabs too much of a player's coach?

DaveBrown74

This year we're as bad as anyone in the league. We're dead last in DVOA, but you don't need any metric to see how bad we are if you watch the games. I think injuries are part of the equation, but I also think last year's record belied reality with our team.

I certainly think we're in need of a "rebuild", but we have some foundational pieces I would prefer not to part with. Thomas, Lawrence, and Thibodeaux are among them. It's not a very long list.

I am inclined to give Daboll/Schoen at least one more year after this year, but I think there are potentially some coordinators and other staff members (training/medical) who need to be replaced.

I think there is a hell of a lot more to playing winning football than the QB position, but I think no single player is more important than the QB, and I am hoping we are able to address that issue in the offseason. I do not believe Jones is the QB of this team's future, and I don't need another season to see that. If they like a QB in this draft that they are able to obtain (either by picking him directly or by moving up to do so), I very much hope they do it. If they get that pick right, while that obviously will not solve all this team's problems, I believe it will help the franchise immensely over the longer haul.

Gmo11

Get a real QB on this team and the turnaround will be fast and furious.  The Texans won 3 games last year and are heading to the playoffs thanks to Stroud.  I don't know if there are going to be any QBs THAT good right out of the gate next season, but if the Giants get even 75% of that from their new QB they'll be in wild card contention.

T200

How bad are the Giants? The Giants are so bad that skunks hold their noses when the Giants 'play'.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

brownelvis54

How Bad Are The Giants?

So bad I rather watch Gease 2, than an entire Giants game.
The KING is in the building

ralphpal1

Grease 2 was not that bad
Who's thar guy
Were going to bowl tonight
Girl for all seasons

nb587

Granted I don't watch much college football but I'm not convinced that the current Giants team with DeVito at QB would beat a Georgia or Michigan or Ohio State.  One or more of them may have more overall talent especially if Andrew Thomas and/or Thibs are out.  I have never thought a college team could compete with a pro team.

MagicRat

I fully expected a drop off this season after last, but I didn't expect this wholesale collapse.
But right here, right now, from what I've seen, we're the worst team in the league and one of the worst Giants teams ever.
Judge/Glennon/Fromm bad.
Granted, we've suffered an "everything that could go wrong did go wrong" level of injuries, but our lack of depth and, it appears, poor preparation for the season, have been horribly exposed.
We need an overhaul of epic proportions and the worst thing that is currently happening is the success of Houston.

This will give us some wholly unrealistic, dhort term, expectations if/when we draft a QB in 24.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Ed Vette

The Giants have scored the least amount of points and have given up more points than any other team in the League. That's bad.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 15, 2023, 10:11:35 PMThe Giants have scored the least amount of points and have given up more points than any other team in the League. That's bad.

Commanders have given up more but in no way does that negate your point.

The Giants' point differential is by far the worst team in the league. We're last in DVOA and have been all year.

We're the worst team in the NFL. And by a very significant margin.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 15, 2023, 10:31:03 PMCommanders have given up more but in no way does that negate your point.

The Giants' point differential is by far the worst team in the league. We're last in DVOA and have been all year.

We're the worst team in the NFL.
You're right. They have us beat by 8 points.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

spiderblue43

So bad they make Leon Spinks seem verbose

Plan 9 from Outer Space reasonable

Milli Vanilli look genuine

Amy Fisher the girl next door

Liberace button-downed.  :doh:

files58

Giant Obsession

Quote from: files58 on November 16, 2023, 12:05:15 AM1966 bad.

With all due respect, this team is much worse.  It is unwatchable.

The 1966 Giants had NO 3rd string QB who spent all of training camp and every day of the regular season practicing with the final roster.  His name was Tom Kennedy and he was plucked from the minor leagues and signed in early November.

The offense never went into hibernation and they were downright competitive in most games.

With 3 weeks to go in their abysmal season they played the defending Eastern Conference Champion Cleveland Browns on the road, leading until the last 2 minutes before falling 49 - 40.

Their last game of the season was against the Dallas Cowboys, the Eastern Conference Champions that year.  The last game of a miserable season.  They lost 17 - 7, a game not decided until the last 7 minutes.

I see no such fire in this years team.

The 1966 Giants had a 40 man roster and lost 13 players alone during the year.  They suffered terribly from putrid drafts of the past. 

The very next season, 1967, with the addition of basically Fran Tarkenton and the return of the injured players they righted the ship and finished 7 - 7.

Right now, at this point in time, the 2023 are alone as the absolute WORST Giant team in history. 

We shall see with the softer side of our schedule ahead just how good Mr. Daboll and his 22 assistant coaches are in reality.  Can we be competitive ??  Will the youth on this team develop and show a glimmer of being real NFL talent ??  Do they offer any hope for the immediate future with their play ??

The 1966 Giants and their season was frustratingly depressing.

The 2023 Giants and their HC and his mysterious decisions in very winnable games have reached a level so low I can not think of a word for it.

An added fact, the 1966 Giants had a HC and 6 assistant coaches, all on the sidelines.  Wellinton Mara himself from his box would take Polaroid snapshots of opposing teams formations and send them to the sidelines in a weighted sock.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon