News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How Bad Are The Giants?

Started by Philosophers, November 13, 2023, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 13, 2023, 01:59:34 PMGet a real QB on this team and the turnaround will be fast and furious.  The Texans won 3 games last year and are heading to the playoffs thanks to Stroud.  I don't know if there are going to be any QBs THAT good right out of the gate next season, but if the Giants get even 75% of that from their new QB they'll be in wild card contention.

It is not a guarantee that drafting a so called  franchise QB that the team will turn around so quickly. The Panthers had the first pick in last year's draft and drafted what they thought was the best choice at QB. They have the worst record in the NFL and gave up their first pick this up coming draft.

The 49ers QB was the last person drafted last year

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Philosophers on November 13, 2023, 01:26:39 PMBy end of last year we thought we might be a +\- 0.500 team with a clear path to getting to the playoffs say in 2024.

Are we a full on reconstruction project now with virtually no pieces to build on and a management/coaching staff on a seat hearing up quickly?

It's one thing to lose but not quit but there seems to be no fight left with the team.  That's on the head coach.  Is Dabs too much of a player's coach?

I don't think the players have quit yet. I just think they are that bad. The only murmurs around quitting/losing the dressing room stem from McKinney, a guy who decided to go ATVing during the offseason and injury himself. So I'm not 100% convinced I trust his judgement/opinion.

I think there is a great deal of frustration on both sides of the ball. When (and it's not happened in the last two weeks) the D gets a stop and get off the field, the offense puts them right back in. The offense can't get their play makers the ball, Barkley can't pick up short yards - so I think both sides of the ball are utterly frustrated.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 16, 2023, 01:08:56 AMIt is not a guarantee that drafting a so called  franchise QB that the team will turn around so quickly. The Panthers had the first pick in last year's draft and drafted what they thought was the best choice at QB. They have the worst record in the NFL and gave up their first pick this up coming draft.

The 49ers QB was the last person drafted last year

Yes, I think everyone understands the perils of the draft. But what's the other option, stand pat and hope that Jones a) kicks on and finally progresses into something more than middling to average and b) can stay on the field?

The Giants have made their bed. They now have to get out of it as soon as possible. Nobody is saying a new QB fixes anything. What most can realise is that Jones isn't the answer and things need to improve.

Torus34

A quick check shows the New Jersey Giants rank 29th in offense, 31st in defense, 32nd in passing and, wonder of wonders, 12th in rushing. Rushing = Barkley. One man.

I don't think it matters where the Giants start in trying to improve those figures. Any improvement would be welcome.

Any.

Go, Big Blue!

Messiah717

They're flat out playing at a level that's the worst in the NFL.  You don't need to look at stats or rankings to know this. 

fromthebside

They're so bad that birds fly upside down over the Meadowlands.

TDToomer

Quote from: Torus34 on November 16, 2023, 06:12:10 AMA quick check shows the New Jersey Giants rank 29th in offense, 31st in defense, 32nd in passing and, wonder of wonders, 12th in rushing. Rushing = Barkley. One man.

The Giants are dead last in offense. You need to sort by YPG not total yards with other teams already having their bye week.

With that we are 14th in rushing and 27th in total D.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Quote from: TDToomer on November 16, 2023, 10:37:47 AMThe Giants are dead last in offense. You need to sort by YPG not total yards with other teams already having their bye week.

A head coach who cannot get them to compete and play hard and now with Schoen has no plan to replace DeVito at QB.  It is time to stop being a player's coach and start kicking some a$$.

Gmo11

Quote from: Philosophers on November 16, 2023, 11:00:42 AMA head coach who cannot get them to compete and play hard and now with Schoen has no plan to replace DeVito at QB.  It is time to stop being a player's coach and start kicking some a$$.

Devito should start every single game the rest of the way regardless of if Taylor gets cleared to play.  He's the easiest path to Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.  That is not the one and only focus/goal of the season.  Making SURE they end up in position to get to the top of the draft.  If Thomas wan't to rest his ankle even better.  If Dexter Lawrence has cramps...get him outta there.  2023 is a lost season but 2024 doesn't have to be.

TDToomer

Quote from: Philosophers on November 16, 2023, 11:00:42 AMA head coach who cannot get them to compete and play hard and now with Schoen has no plan to replace DeVito at QB.  It is time to stop being a player's coach and start kicking some a$$.

Not sure what this has to do with my post that you quoted.  :what:
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Torus34

Quote from: TDToomer on November 16, 2023, 10:37:47 AMThe Giants are dead last in offense. You need to sort by YPG not total yards with other teams already having their bye week.

Hi, TDToomer.

I agree. Even with that adjustment, though, the Giants don't come off as all that good. Thus far, they've a QB who has taken sack after sack and remained ready for the next snap. That's progress of a sort.

Regards.

Go, Big Blue!

TDToomer

Quote from: Torus34 on November 17, 2023, 06:36:44 AMHi, TDToomer.

I agree. Even with that adjustment, though, the Giants don't come off as all that good. Thus far, they've a QB who has taken sack after sack and remained ready for the next snap. That's progress of a sort.

Regards.

Go, Big Blue!

Not all that good?  Yeah it's worse than bad. This is a historically inept offense.