News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT-Drake Maye

Started by spiderblue43, November 13, 2023, 02:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

I haven't seen him play but obviously the sophomore UNC Tar Heel is highly rated. Only a sophomore..his production has been very good (14th Qbr). Is listed as 6'4"..classic size

He seems to be a likely top 5 pick..would be the next chapter in franchise history..but is he worthy of such merit?

Thoughts?

JT39

Yes. Has a lot of great traits. His team isnt very good this year. But he has a strong arm. Mobile. A lot of Josh Allen to his game.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on November 13, 2023, 02:54:25 PMI haven't seen him play but obviously the sophomore UNC Tar Heel is highly rated. Only a sophomore..his production has been very good (14th Qbr). Is listed as 6'4"..classic size

He seems to be a likely top 5 pick..would be the next chapter in franchise history..but is he worthy of such merit?

Thoughts?

I like him plenty. He jumped off the screen for me last year in a big way. I actually haven't watched him as much this year because I just haven't seen many UNC games, but he appears to be doing well. He is the consensus number two prospect in the class behind Williams at this point in time. It's possible that that could change at some point between now and the draft, but the college regular season is not far from being over and opinions seem pretty firm that he and Williams are the clear top two QB prospects, followed by a drop-off. I struggle to see us getting either of them without a top two pick or a trade-up.

DaveBrown74

Here is a clip from an article in The Athletic today about him:

Before the season, NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah compared Maye to Carson Palmer, the No. 1 pick in 2003. ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky said that Maye has "Big Ben" in his game, referencing former Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, on "The Dan Patrick Show" last month after calling some of Maye's games.

"I think he's a superstar in the NFL," Orlovsky said. "I do."

Tim Hasselbeck, an analyst for ESPN and the ACC Network, said earlier this month that he would select Maye over Williams, calling him as "perfect of a prospect (as) I have ever seen in 15 years at ESPN."

Dane Brugler, the draft analyst for The Athletic, rated Maye as the top player in his updated list of the top 50 prospects. Brugler compared him to Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert.

"Cut from the same cloth," Brugler told the "Hoge & Jahns" podcast in October after evaluating two months of tape from this season. "Good-sized quarterback, great feet, big-time arm. You love the command of the offense. And when you evaluate the quarterback position, you always want to see the full inventory of throws, right? So not every college quarterback can give you that. Drake Maye can."

brownelvis54

IMO he will be the number one quarterback taken in this upcoming draft
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 13, 2023, 03:49:51 PMIMO he will be the number one quarterback taken in this upcoming draft

Maybe. There is still some football to be played. Neither of these men will be in the college playoffs so it's unclear if they'll play in a bowl game. Neither has any really tough games left. The combine/pro day type stuff will matter but not in a major way.

Most mocks (to the extent that they mean anything) have Williams going first, but I think it's absolutely possible Maye could.

I know some fans have already decided they don't like Williams (for whatever reason), but I would be delighted if either became a Giant. I am high on both. Obviously there are never any guarantees — far from it — but as far as QB prospects go both of these two are on the high end.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 04:09:56 PMMaybe. There is still some football to be played. Neither of these men will be in the college playoffs so it's unclear if they'll play in a bowl game. Neither has any really tough games left. The combine/pro day type stuff will matter but not in a major way.

Most mocks (to the extent that they mean anything) have Williams going first, but I think it's absolutely possible Maye could.

I know some fans have already decided they don't like Williams (for whatever reason), but I would be delighted if either became a Giant. I am high on both. Obviously there are never any guarantees — far from it — but as far as QB prospects go both of these two are on the high end.
The only real issue I have with Caleb is his height. 6'1 makes me nervous

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 03:07:49 PMHere is a clip from an article in The Athletic today about him:

Before the season, NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah compared Maye to Carson Palmer, the No. 1 pick in 2003. ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky said that Maye has "Big Ben" in his game, referencing former Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, on "The Dan Patrick Show" last month after calling some of Maye's games.

Tim Hasselbeck, an analyst for ESPN and the ACC Network, said earlier this month that he would select Maye over Williams, calling him as "perfect of a prospect (as) I have ever seen in 15 years at ESPN."

Dane Brugler, the draft analyst for The Athletic, rated Maye as the top player in his updated list of the top 50 prospects. Brugler compared him to Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert.

"Cut from the same cloth," Brugler told the "Hoge & Jahns" podcast in October after evaluating two months of tape from this season. "Good-sized quarterback, great feet, big-time arm. You love the command of the offense. And when you evaluate the quarterback position, you always want to see the full inventory of throws, right? So not every college quarterback can give you that. Drake Maye can."

I haven't thought who I would compare him to but Herbert is a closer fit than Big Ben. I think he may wind up going number one. This past Duke win highlighted all his attributes. I would love to have seen him face stiffer competition and as @Bob In PA pointed out that's a talking point. He faces a Clemson team this weekend that is a shell of its former dominant self.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 04:39:48 PMI haven't thought who I would compare him to but Herbert is a closer fit than Big Ben. I think he may wind up going number one. This past Duke win highlighted all his attributes. I would love to have seen him face stiffer competition and as @Bob In PA pointed out that's a talking point. He faces a Clemson team this weekend that is a shell of its former dominant self.
The one good thing about Clemson is they have a really good secondary that will get drafted pretty high so at least that's something. 

The one thing that scares the hell out of me is that Maye thrived last year in Phil Longos offense before he left and his numbers dipped this year. Longos offense is extremely Qb friendly, like make an XFL Qb have 4000 yards 20 tds and 6int in his sleep kind of offense. It's the only worry I have with maye outside level of competition.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 04:39:48 PMI haven't thought who I would compare him to but Herbert is a closer fit than Big Ben. I think he may wind up going number one. This past Duke win highlighted all his attributes. I would love to have seen him face stiffer competition and as @Bob In PA pointed out that's a talking point. He faces a Clemson team this weekend that is a shell of its former dominant self.

He threw for 301 yards, 5 TDs, and zero picks against a pretty respectable ND team last year, so it's not like there is zero data against quality opponents. No doubt Clemson is not the program they were five years ago, but they don't suck either. They just beat ND two weeks ago, and their D looked pretty solid to me in that game. UNC's upcoming game with them is in Death Valley, so it won't be any sort of picnic. If Maye looks good in that game that's another good data point IMO. I appreciate it would be great to see him play at Alabama or something, but he just hasn't had that opportunity. The Clemson D has day one and day two NFL talent in it. So does Miami, whom he lit up earlier this year.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 03:07:49 PMHere is a clip from an article in The Athletic today about him:

Seems he's the more classic type of QB, rather than williams who is more a russel wilson type of "magic" play guy. idk. its a tough call. williams is obviously rated the best for a reason. but i feel like he is kind of falling apart lately.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 13, 2023, 04:18:33 PMThe only real issue I have with Caleb is his height. 6'1 makes me nervous

especially with his play style. he is going to get killed if he doesnt change it up, and the fumbles also are a MAJOR concern.