News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants May Not Be Ready to Move On From DJ

Started by Ed Vette, November 13, 2023, 09:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

My two cents:

1) They aren't throwing in the towel on DJ - like him or not, he is not a dog and has NFL talent

2) If Schoen feels strongly that there is a "Mahommes/Brady/Herbert" type of QB in this draft, he will probably do whatever it takes to grab him and let him get his feet wet behind DJ, with the plan to hand the new QB the ball in 2026

3) A likely (or "most likely") scenario IMHO, is we draft Harrison and a QB (fairly early) to groom whilst concentrating on fixing (trying to fix) the O-line with early pics (2nd-4th round)
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 14, 2023, 11:35:29 AMIf Jalin Hyatt was drafted by the Bills, he would have ten TDs and over 1000 yards by now. He would be one of if not the top Receiver in the NFL with several other teams. The Giants don't have a Receiver problem. They should not draft MHJ.

If they truly believe in Daniel Jones, and they have one of the top two picks they should trade down and get a king's ransom. They should have done that instead of drafting Barkley. SB has not helped the team win just like Hyatt hasn't. They can get a second in 2025 plus their first and a first in 2025 minimum. Fix that Offensive Line so it make's Tommy look like Tom Brady and get a shut down corner and an edge rusher.

Of course they would most likely pick the QB.
Ed: It's a great argument that did not elude me. 

As of today I don't yet see "elite WR" in Hyatt. Harrison does it all better than Hyatt right now (blocking included). I see the two on the same team as deadly. I'm thinking of his dad's days with Kurt Warner and that cavalcade of WR's.

Although your remarks about the Bills are correct, IMO, I just don't think it's an an apt comparison, and that comparison includes all 21 other starters in addition to the QB. Team sport.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 14, 2023, 12:12:37 PM3) A likely (or "most likely") scenario IMHO, is we draft Harrison and a QB (fairly early) to groom whilst concentrating on fixing (trying to fix) the O-line with early pics (2nd-4th round)

Is this based on something you've read or just something you feel?

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 12:23:53 PM"elite WR" in Hyatt.

Part of the problem is that he doesn't have a QB that get him the ball.

There's been a number of posts from people explaining that he's open.

In my opinion, if he had competent QB play, I think he would be mirroring Addison's production in Minnesota.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: T200 on November 14, 2023, 11:37:01 AMBringing in a rookie QB into a stable offensive environment will most definitely set the player up to be successful.

In the case of the Giants, I have no doubt that continuing to improve the offensive line is a top priority. I know you aren't suggesting it, but they don't have to wait to have stable environment before getting their QB. They can do both if the opportunities present themselves.

To improve the O-line they have to start with coaching.  I'd bet the Giants have put as much or more draft capital into the O-line as any team in the league.  I've said it before, but they need to do a deep dive into who is the best evaluator of online and online coaching talent  and do whatever it takes to hire them.  Because the Giants have had their heads up their butts for more than 10 years on the O-line.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 13, 2023, 10:31:56 PM2025 QB Draft Class
The first two will declare 2024

https://walterfootball.com/QBRankings2025.php
All but 4 likely come out this year. 2025 will be a horrible draft for Qbs. likely a 1 man show with Aller as none of those other guys are any good.

Bob In PA

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 14, 2023, 12:28:09 PMPart of the problem is that he doesn't have a QB that get him the ball.

There's been a number of posts from people explaining that he's open.

In my opinion, if he had competent QB play, I think he would be mirroring Addison's production in Minnesota.

ED: True, but he also has to learn how to block and read defenses better so he picks the very best option on every play where he's running an option route. I agree competent QB work would do wonders for his stats, but so would having just ONE QB to work with. The injury situation, as much (or more) than the level of QB play, IMO, is what I believe to be holding him back, if anything other than just being a rookie is indeed holding him back. Bob

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 12:57:07 PMbut he also has to learn how to block and read defenses better so he picks the very best option on every play where he's running an option route. I agree competent QB work would do wonders for his stats, but so would having just ONE QB to work with. The injury situation, as much (or more) than the level of QB play, IM
Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 12:57:07 PMED: True, but he also has to learn how to block and read defenses better so he picks the very best option on every play where he's running an option route. I agree competent QB work would do wonders for his stats, but so would having just ONE QB to work with. The injury situation, as much (or more) than the level of QB play, IMO, is what I believe to be holding him back, if anything other than just being a rookie is indeed holding him back. Bob

Very true - but he's ten games into his career. I'd be focussing on the things he can do rather than what he cant - that can be taught.

Speed can't be taught. They ought to have been using it.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 14, 2023, 12:26:12 PMIs this based on something you've read or just something you feel?

I prefaced my post with "my two cents"...in otherwise, an "opinion"...and like assholes, we all have one.

I try to get into the head of Schoen and how he thinks. I take all comments from fans with a grain of salt, as should all fans take my opinions. I have nothing for anyone to read to back up what I said, I just have a "hunch"
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 14, 2023, 01:01:35 PMI prefaced my post with "my two cents"...in otherwise, an "opinion"...and like assholes, we all have one.

I try to get into the head of Schoen and how he thinks. I take all comments from fans with a grain of salt, as should all fans take my opinions. I have nothing for anyone to read to back up what I said, I just have a "hunch"

That's fair enough, I wasn't digging you out. I was simply interested if you had any grounding around the third point. That's all.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 14, 2023, 12:55:39 PMAll but 4 likely come out this year. 2025 will be a horrible draft for Qbs. likely a 1 man show with Aller as none of those other guys are any good.
That's the way it looks. This year there should be 5 QBs that appear to be the real deal. I haven't seen this since 2018. There were 5 that year and all were first-round picks. Only two lived up to the hype and they were the ones that most pundits picked apart. Rosen had character flaws and wasn't willing to put the work in. Darnold never got past his weakness. Mayfield's character issues carried over and became a distraction.

This QB Class looks to be an even better class but surely at least two will bust. Either through injury or their flaws exposed against much better players at the higher level.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 12:57:07 PMED: True, but he also has to learn how to block and read defenses better so he picks the very best option on every play where he's running an option route. I agree competent QB work would do wonders for his stats, but so would having just ONE QB to work with. The injury situation, as much (or more) than the level of QB play, IMO, is what I believe to be holding him back, if anything other than just being a rookie is indeed holding him back. Bob
Bob, you really should get the all-22.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 14, 2023, 12:53:47 PMTo improve the O-line they have to start with coaching.  I'd bet the Giants have put as much or more draft capital into the O-line as any team in the league.  I've said it before, but they need to do a deep dive into who is the best evaluator of online and online coaching talent  and do whatever it takes to hire them.  Because the Giants have had their heads up their butts for more than 10 years on the O-line.
You get no disagreement from me whatsoever. 💯
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 14, 2023, 01:10:12 PMBob, you really should get the all-22.
Ed: I think you know I already have it. lol

Regardless, on 95% of the plays when Hyatt is open, breaking into the open, or about to break into the open, the QB has already been sacked, or flushed out of the pocket, or has his first reads on the other side of the field.

There have been very few situations in which none of that was true and a golden opportunity was missed SOLELY due to QB error, QB reluctance, or QB ineptitude.  In short, if all three QB's are missing golden opportunities it says more about mindset implanted in the QB by the coaching than the identity of the QB.

Bob

Jclayton92

Jones has done nothing but set this franchise back. Us drafting him and then resigning him has done nothing but harm this franchise.

I was speaking with a group of friends last night and one said that he almost 100% guarantees that the Jones fans won't be behind us drafting a new Qb or if we do draft a new one and that Qb is successful then the narrative will be look what they did for QBA that they never did for Jones etc. I really hope that's not the case but a ton of people really were all in on Jones being the answer and when he continued to let all of us down as he has it just got worse. Now that a journeyman backup Qb has outplayed him and we are on injury #7 I think, hopefully we can close the door on the ridiculous notion that Jones will ever be anything but a serviceable backup.

It's time to move on, it doesn't matter if you thought he was the next Tom Brady or the next Brock Osweiler. He is clearly not the answer, it is just disappointing that it took 60+ games and we are still at a point were people think it's a good idea to continue trotting that kid out to play.