News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thoughts on the early challenge by Daboll

Started by MightyGiants, November 14, 2023, 11:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have heard quite a few podcasts call out that early challenge and Daboll trying to rescind the challenge.

I can't help but feel like it's part of a pattern we have seen play out this season where it appears Daboll is letting his emotions get the better of him (like when he told the sideline reporter he couldn't think straight going into the half because Tyrod switched the play to a run).

While head coaches being firey on the sidelines is pretty normal, I think most of the successful ones learn how to take advantage of that passion rather than the passion getting the better of them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

As much as I am in the "this season shouldn't count too much against Daboll camp" that was a very Judge-like thing to do.  I'm just not sure why he even considered it.  Was one of the DBs in his face adamant it was a fumble?  Did somebody on the headset scream at him it was a fumble?  Because it's hard to find any sort of explanation for something that dumb.

EDjohnst1981

I can't remember, but did he get a clear view of this i.e. was the cowboy facing the Giants' sideline? If not, the call must have come from upstairs and that person absolutely crapped the bed.

katkavage

I didn't see the game, but Daboll has been bad on the sideline during games and hasn't done a good job getting the team prepared to compete. As of now his grade is a D minus. Only a lack of a quality QB has saved him from an F.

PSUBeirut

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 11:07:36 AMI have heard quite a few podcasts call out that early challenge and Daboll trying to rescind the challenge.

I can't help but feel like it's part of a pattern we have seen play out this season where it appears Daboll is letting his emotions get the better of him (like when he told the sideline reporter he couldn't think straight going into the half because Tyrod switched the play to a run).

While head coaches being firey on the sidelines is pretty normal, I think most of the successful ones learn how to take advantage of that passion rather than the passion getting the better of them.
I think most of these challenges come from upstairs and I think that was the case here. As for the antics, I mentioned this in another thread. He truly is angry to the point where it unsettles him and he loses focus. Some coaches make this an act to show they are visibly upset to intimidate the officials on the next close call. Although I felt the sideline reporter should have backed off in a live broadcast, his response to her was clearly out of frustration and he was still frazzled at that point. What's troubling to me is that he has decades of experience and this is a flaw he has in his makeup. It's very hard to correct this or control it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JT39

Hadron

I was sitting in the stands at Jerry-World and saw the same things the coaches saw: that Giant screen.

Nobody understood why he challenged that play. Cowboys fans, Giants fans, etc.