News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ice Hockey Player Death - Arrest Made

Started by EDjohnst1981, November 14, 2023, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

A few weeks ago, Adam Johnson, a former NHL player was playing for UK ice hockey team and unfortunately, a coming together ensued and he died in a tragic accident.

Today the other player was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter.

This case has a number parallels to the Alec Baldwin case (i.e. doing his job, was he negligent, was he reckless etc).

If there's any interest in the thread, I'll post updates as and when I have them.

You can read more about the case here: https://news.sky.com/story/man-arrested-over-death-of-ice-hockey-player-adam-johnson-in-sheffield-13008311

Jolly Blue Giant

I have been following this. There was a good commentary on TV about the skates in the NHL. They are far different from 10 years ago. Now they are weightless...much thinner, and made of titanium with razor sharp knife edges. The bottom of the hockey player's feet is basically a razor sharp weapon

The way the guy fell along with others, it certainly appears he stuck his skate up on Johnson's neck as Johnson was falling and was purposely targeting his neck

This whole story is going to be big in the coming future and I suspect major changes are going to be made to protect players from those "Samurai knives on the bottom of players' feet"
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

The article didn't give specifics but I imagine that the one player stomped on his neck with the blade of his skate. Is that how it happened?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 14, 2023, 01:20:45 PMThe article didn't give specifics but I imagine that the one player stomped on his neck with the blade of his skate. Is that how it happened?

Yes, but "stomped" is not the verb I would use. It was more of a side karate kick type motion.

It definitely looks unnecessary in the video. It's hard to say what he was trying to do if you're trying to argue that it wasn't malicious.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin