News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should the Giants make Mike Kafka coach on the sidelines?

Started by LennG, November 14, 2023, 02:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on November 14, 2023, 03:43:35 PMKafka needs to be on the sidelines. Outside of Kafka and Dorsey/his replacement how many OC's in the NFL call plays from the both instead of the sidelines? I can't remember any prior Giants play caller doing this.

I think it's pretty much all of them that call plays from upstairs.

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 15, 2023, 08:15:55 AMI think it's pretty much all of them that call plays from upstairs.
Going into the season there were 15 Head Coaches calling the plays.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 15, 2023, 09:02:17 AMGoing into the season there were 15 Head Coaches calling the plays.

Correct, the question was about OC's though.  I think even the one's not calling plays sit in the booth.  Forgot which OC it was that moved out of the booth on to the field.  Was listening to the radio and Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan were discussing that they don't mind that move but the you NEED someone you can trust in that booth.  Not sure exactly what goes other than a birdseye view, but they had a very strong opinion about needing someone in that booth that was qualified.

Gmo11

Somebody on twitter posited an idea I hadn't though of:  Josh Allen turning into an MVP candidate, Daniel Jones turning into a serviceable QB for a year, and Russell Wilson's career resurgence this year all have 1 thing in common and it's not Daboll or Kafka....its Davis Webb.   Should they have just handed him the OC or QB coach's job this offseason? 

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 15, 2023, 10:04:07 AMCorrect, the question was about OC's though.  I think even the one's not calling plays sit in the booth.  Forgot which OC it was that moved out of the booth on to the field.  Was listening to the radio and Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan were discussing that they don't mind that move but the you NEED someone you can trust in that booth.  Not sure exactly what goes other than a birdseye view, but they had a very strong opinion about needing someone in that booth that was qualified.
well, my point was that at least 15 play callers are on the field.

They need a few Quality Control and someone to watch the analytics and clock management, etc. Upstairs.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 14, 2023, 06:32:40 PMI am interested in this general subject (sideline versus up above) when it comes to coordinators, but I don't really have a strong opinion either way, because I have seen multiple examples of both success and failure with both approaches. Seems to me there are advantages and disadvantages to each approach, which I think is pretty obvious, otherwise everyone would do one versus the other.

Do I really think our offense will suddenly get better if Kafka comes down to the sidelines?
No, I don't. I remember hearing people talk about how great it was that we had our coordinator up high last year. With that said, I'm certainly not opposed to him trying if he and Daboll think it will work better.

Could it possibly make the offense worse?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 15, 2023, 12:35:32 PMNo.  They should fire him. 

I am fine with that approach as well.  Fire him or let him do his job the way he sees fit, is my position.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

They should get him a QB and a real OL coach. Kafka is a good coach. He didn't forget to coach in one season.

T200

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 15, 2023, 01:19:14 PMThey should get him a QB and a real OL coach. Kafka is a good coach. He didn't forget to coach in one season.
Are you satisfied with the offense as-is with the obvious exception of Jones at QB?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 15, 2023, 12:39:12 PMCould it possibly make the offense worse?

Maybe/maybe not, but either way I think we fans are kidding ourselves in a pretty spectacular way if we actually think we have an idea on how to improve the offense that Daboll hasn't thought about already and that he doesn't have universes more knowledge about than we do.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 16, 2023, 09:46:49 AMMaybe/maybe not, but either way I think we fans are kidding ourselves in a pretty spectacular way if we actually think we have an idea on how to improve the offense that Daboll hasn't thought about already and that he doesn't have universes more knowledge about than we do.

That may be so Dave, but as fans, we are all gamblers, you know, always go for it on 4th down, etc., etc. Daboll may be hearing those footsteps or reading some of the media spots and has changed the philosophy and is playing a lot more safely than he ever did last year.
Why do you think he is less apt to be daring this eyar as opposed to last?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on November 16, 2023, 01:50:25 PMThat may be so Dave, but as fans, we are all gamblers, you know, always go for it on 4th down, etc., etc. Daboll may be hearing those footsteps or reading some of the media spots and has changed the philosophy and is playing a lot more safely than he ever did last year.
Why do you think he is less apt to be daring this eyar as opposed to last?

I don't really know. Until recently it may have been because he trusted the D more this year. In a number of games this year our D has been very good. But I don't really have a firm answer or explanation.

B1GBLUE

is there any empirical evidence that this directly correlates to better results? i feel like a majority of coordinators are in the booth these days.