News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I was listening to the Giants Insider Podcast this morning

Started by MightyGiants, November 16, 2023, 09:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Chris Bisignano seemed pretty sure Wink would be fired after the season.  He also thought Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey's job was in jeopardy.   Now, I have been hearing fans and some pundits calling for the firing of Offensive Coordinator Mike Kafka.

Now it occurs to me: if the Giants end up firing all three of their coordinators, what does that say about Brian Daboll?   I mean, a major part of a head coach's job is assembling a quality coaching staff.  If Daboll goes 3 for 3 in his coordinator hirings (plus the most critical assistant coach hire, your O-line coach), does Brian Daboll have what it takes to be a quality Head Coach? 

In other areas, there is concern about his game-day management and leadership.   There have been some questionable personnel decisions.  Player development and motivation seem average at best. 

I had previously given Daboll high marks for his ability to assemble and manage his coaching staff, but if there is a massive turnover...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

All the coordinators have done horribly this season. I honestly wouldn't be upset if all three were replaced. Daboll will 100% be back next season. No doubt in my mind.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Be careful Rich. You don't want the wrath of PapaBanks coming down on you. 🤫
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2023, 09:07:20 AMChris Bisignano seemed pretty sure Wink would be fired after the season.  He also thought Special Teams Coordinator Thomas McGaughey's job was in jeopardy.  Now, I have been hearing fans and some pundits calling for the firing of Offensive Coordinator Mike Kafka.

Now it occurs to me: if the Giants end up firing all three of their coordinators, what does that say about Brian Daboll?  I mean, a major part of a head coach's job is assembling a quality coaching staff.  If Daboll goes 3 for 3 in his coordinator hirings (plus the most critical assistant coach hire, your O-line coach), does Brian Daboll have what it takes to be a quality Head Coach? 

In other areas, there is concern about his game-day management and leadership.  There have been some questionable personnel decisions.  Player development and motivation seem average at best. 

I had previously given Daboll high marks for his ability to assemble and manage his coaching staff, but if there is a massive turnover...

Good point Rich. That could be a reason why not all three coordinators get the axe.

On the subject of McGaughey, it could probably be reasonably argued that his history on the team and relationship with the higher-ups may have had something to do with him being retained (as opposed to Daboll bringing in his own guy for that job). Judge did the same thing despite replacing everyone else.

So the point being, I'm not sure that firing McGaughey will be as much of a "strike" against Daboll as Wink might/would be.

Wink seems like he struggles to get along with the head coach when things aren't going well. He pretty clearly had some sort of falling out with Harbaugh in 2021.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 16, 2023, 09:10:38 AMBe careful Rich. You don't want the wrath of PapaBanks coming down on you. 🤫
But seriously Luv those men but they know how to bring it on themselves, stirring up the masses for hits.

Back on topic, I've been very critical of Kafka but he's a young up and coming Coach and he's going to make mistakes but it's worthwhile working through them. I don't see them firing Kafka. He may very well take that Collegiate position but that's his decision.

Changes have to be made and Daboll has to be well aware of that even though he preaches his faith in the system. Wink and McG are experienced coaches who are running horrible Units. Wink may just retire.

Daboll has made mistakes and so has Schoen but they also bring a lot to the table and as bad as this team is, they will both be back. Schoen for sure and it would take a huge meltdown for Daboll to be fired after two seasons. The fan base hasn't turned on him at this point.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Winks issues seem to be more communication than performance while it's the opposite with Kafka.

If I had to rank their job security risk by order of most vulnerable I would go

McGaughey
Kafka
Wink
Daboll

Did the podcast bring up Bobby (no not the one Simms threw to) Johnson?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on November 16, 2023, 10:27:28 AMWinks issues seem to be more communication than performance while it's the opposite with Kafka.

If I had to rank their job security risk by order of most vulnerable I would go

McGaughey
Kafka
Wink
Daboll

Did the podcast bring up Bobby (no not the one Simms threw to) Johnson?

Briefly and they treated it as almost a given that Bobby Johnson will be gone.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

Kafka should not be fired. No OC can perform with the QB level he's had to deal with the massive OL injuries. Wink really hasn't had to deal with that on his side.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 16, 2023, 09:10:38 AMBe careful Rich. You don't want the wrath of PapaBanks coming down on you. 🤫
Ed: To an extent I see your tongue firmly implanted in your cheek, but there are several important "ifs" in the original post (i.e., it's just a topic for general discussion inasmuch as we are far from that finding our team in the situation under discussion). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jaime

I'm in the camp that wants Daboll gone!!!
He fails to motivate Players, in game adjustments suck, he fails to prepare the Team to play, who exactly is he developing?
And who exactly is he developing? Lately Daboll has been seen losing it on the Sidelines. It will be telling if we endure a couple more blowout losses.
Daboll is in way over his head. Remember, Daboll has exactly 1 1/2 seasons of NFL Head Coach experience.

spiderblue43

I'd be shocked if Johnson isn't let go. Holy crap. Good point about Daboll covering his reputation by keeping Kafka.

But what about Barnes? How does he justify his job? Or he is just a Mara untouchable?

spiderblue43

Or Papa Papa.  ;)

andrew_nyGiants

I honestly believe that the only two who need to go are Bobby Johnson and McGaughey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Dgoodmantrublu

I agree with this.

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 18, 2023, 06:51:44 PMI honestly believe that the only two who need to go are Bobby Johnson and McGaughey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BluesCruz

Bobby Johnson should be the 1st to go followed closely by the entire physical development staff and trainers

both have had horrible results despite whatever the reasons....enough is enough

I would release or trade Saquon Barkley.  Nothing special, never lived up to the hype
and there is no cure   hes a dancer not a prancer, cannot break tackles

Find an offensive co-ordinator who is willing to stretch the field

Draft a top QB and put the heat on Jones to open up his game or take a seat

he has been trained to avoid risk....you have to be willing and able to throw into small windows in the NFL

If Belichick becomes available hire him...fire Daboll or demote him...keep Schoen as Asst GM
even talent poor, Belichick is keeping the games close

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"