News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Caleb Williams may not enter the draft

Started by MightyGiants, November 17, 2023, 06:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Seems like people broadly here do not like Caleb. I personally think he's a top shelf talent and will be a very good, possibly great pro. Of course, I've been wrong about QBs on multiple occasions before and will continue to be. But I have watched him play plenty, and I have consistently really liked what I have seen. One or two less than awesome games isn't going to change my mind.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 20, 2023, 09:22:14 AMSeems like people broadly here do not like Caleb. I personally think he's a top shelf talent and will be a very good, possibly great pro. Of course, I've been wrong about QBs on multiple occasions before and will continue to be. But I have watched him play plenty, and I have consistently really liked what I have seen. One or two less than awesome games isn't going to change my mind.
DB: Maybe, but another year in the minor leagues won't hurt. It didn't hurt Mahomes any. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 20, 2023, 10:32:18 AMDB: Maybe, but another year in the minor leagues won't hurt. It didn't hurt Mahomes any. Bob

Bob,

Not sure I'm following. Both players were in college for three years. Mahomes played in 32 games and then came out as a 21 year old. Williams has already played in 37 games (more by the end of the season) and is already 22.

Seems to me Williams has had no less college seasoning than Mahomes. More, if anything.

It may be worth noting that Mahomes didn't really play as a rookie, but it didn't sound like that was the point you were trying to make, unless I misunderstood your post.

Gmo11

He's a stud.  The best QB prospect in this draft to me by a comfortable margin.  All the naysayers would likely have been buying his jersey before the end of training camp had the Giants lost out and secured the number 1 pick.

Alas...it was not to be.  I'm not really sure what the Giants should do now. Maybe use those picks to try and establish a top flight defense?  Maybe try and package a bunch of them to move up 3 spots to take a QB that's not Caleb Williams?  Who knows.  I do know that what was trending towards being the easiest decision in the world just got a whole lot harder.

JT39

Willaims OL is awful this year and his WRs are average at best.

I know he fumbles and plays hero ball a bit too much.... but he is forced too. Look what he can do that is positive. It is something special.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 20, 2023, 09:22:14 AMSeems like people broadly here do not like Caleb. I personally think he's a top shelf talent and will be a very good, possibly great pro. Of course, I've been wrong about QBs on multiple occasions before and will continue to be. But I have watched him play plenty, and I have consistently really liked what I have seen. One or two less than awesome games isn't going to change my mind.

For what it's worth, and admittedly with limited scouting, Caleb seems like a boom or bust type prospect.  He has some special abilities (in terms of off-schedule throws) that could make him the best QB in the league.  There are some red flags (like his crying in the stands and the like) and there is the question of how good he is as a pocket passer (you need to be a serviceable pocket passer for the improv stuff to matter) that could lead to him being a bust.

To quote the late John Fassel, you are pushing all your chips into the middle of the table if you draft Williams.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

I still dont get why crying in the stands with his mom is such a bad thing? Would you rather him blast people over social media? Punch walls after a loss? Break stuff?

I rather someone be with loved on emphasizing over a tough loss and show passion and caring for the outcome than some of these other modern day athletes who dont care whether they win or lose and just get paid.

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 20, 2023, 11:42:56 AMFor what it's worth, and admittedly with limited scouting, Caleb seems like a boom or bust type prospect.  He has some special abilities (in terms of off-schedule throws) that could make him the best QB in the league.  There are some red flags (like his crying in the stands and the like) and there is the question of how good he is as a pocket passer (you need to be a serviceable pocket passer for the improv stuff to matter) that could lead to him being a bust.

To quote the late John Fassel, you are pushing all your chips into the middle of the table if you draft Williams.

I would gladly take that hand and go all in.  If he busts he busts but that's a hand you have to play and go all in with if you can.

zephirus

I'm not sure what he hopes to gain with the extra week.  The top of the NFL draft will not be decided for another 7 weeks.  Not to mention a team could always trade up as several have in the last few years.  It's a fools errand to try and determine if his main concern is what team is going to draft him.  He can't possibly know. 

I don't mind a young man taking a step back to contemplate, but the question should not focus around what team might draft him but whether or not another year in college will improve his draft position.  It likely won't.  I hope he gets sorted out.  He's a talented player and while I can forgive him for being young and foolish, he can only play that card once.  Stop crying, stop talking to the media, figure out what is best for YOU and be decisive. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: JT39 on November 20, 2023, 11:49:25 AMI still dont get why crying in the stands with his mom is such a bad thing? Would you rather him blast people over social media? Punch walls after a loss? Break stuff?

I rather someone be with loved on emphasizing over a tough loss and show passion and caring for the outcome than some of these other modern day athletes who dont care whether they win or lose and just get paid.

For me, crying is not unusual for a football player.  Crying in your mother's arms...
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 20, 2023, 11:42:56 AMFor what it's worth, and admittedly with limited scouting, Caleb seems like a boom or bust type prospect.  He has some special abilities (in terms of off-schedule throws) that could make him the best QB in the league.  There are some red flags (like his crying in the stands and the like) and there is the question of how good he is as a pocket passer (you need to be a serviceable pocket passer for the improv stuff to matter) that could lead to him being a bust.

I get the point about Williams' profile, but I actually don't view using a high first round pick on ANY top QB prospect as a gamble if you're a team that badly needs a QB. To me, the gamble would be not doing that.

Everyone understands that no QB is a guarantee, even the most hyped up ones. But by drafting one when you're woefully weak at the position, you're giving your franchise a shot. By not drafting one, you're hoping that you'll be in a better position to get a better one the next year, or that you'll somehow strike gold in free agency or a massive trade and just barely thread the needle to perfection the way the Rams did with Stafford. To me, the latter is the bigger gamble than just using your pick to take one of the best rated QB prospects of the last decade.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 20, 2023, 12:26:04 PMI get the point about Williams' profile, but I actually don't view using a high first round pick on ANY top QB prospect as a gamble if you're a team that badly needs a QB. To me, the gamble would be not doing that.

Everyone understands that no QB is a guarantee, even the most hyped up ones. But by drafting one when you're woefully weak at the position, you're giving your franchise a shot. By not drafting one, you're hoping that you'll be in a better position to get a better one the next year, or that you'll somehow strike gold in free agency or a massive trade and just barely thread the needle to perfection the way the Rams did with Stafford. To me, the latter is the bigger gamble than just using your pick to take one of the best rated QB prospects of the last decade.

I don't see the bust potential as being anywhere near as great with Drake Maye than I do Caleb Williams
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 18, 2023, 07:11:55 AMMaybe the Giants being one of the teams in the hunt is the reason why he's considering waiting it out.
yup

Dgoodmantrublu

There is nothing to indicate he doesn't want to come to the Giants. In fact, there were reports earlier in the year that the Giants were one of the teams he most wanted to play for.