News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Good to get a win but

Started by Quick Kick, November 19, 2023, 04:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Fletch

yea cool. Maybe they can run the table with their 3rd string rookie QB; go to first place from last place; embarrass a division rival like Eagles 40-somthing to nothing like the Cowboys ; and then maybe win the Super bowl. With their "winning culture" next year they can do it again , and this time it'll be Daniel 's turn. They will procure all-pro OL and WRs and Daniel will get his ring too!

I was more excited about an elite QB propect. 

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Fletch on November 19, 2023, 10:32:06 PMWho is excited about winning games at this point? We are in last place -- not making the playoffs-- in need of a QB (I do not think anyone is arguing with me about that at this point any longer)-- and there are elite ones to be had in the draft. I mean good for Tommy but Tyrod already prroved that a QB can get this offense moving behinf that line. The fact an undrafted did it is just icing one the cake.

You are a fan and you want your team to win. I remember the 2020 draft when fans were so upset that we won a game and no longer had the second pick  and we would not be able to draft Chris Young , ( Everyone knew Joe Burrow was going first to the Bengels ). WE had to settle for Andrew Thomas with the fourth pick.

Winning builds character

Fletch

I can't stand a QB who can't pass and relies on RPO and running. Having an edge is great. Having a tackle is great but it is not in the realm of a franchise QB which is an elite prospect.

Winning games at this point means jones still gets tone qb here which is pretty much means I have better things to do on Sunday at this point.

Torus34

The New Jersey Giants showed more team spirit yesterday than they've shown in a long time. Mr. Thomas DeVito may be the most unlikely-looking QB in the NFL, but with him at the helm, the Giants played as if they intended to win the game. And they did!

Did the team make errors? You betcha. Did they become despondent and pack it in? No way!

Get rid of the other Giant QB's -- all of them -- and draft a QB back-up and some good linemen.

2024 need not resemble early 2023.

Go, Big Blue!

uconnjack8

Giants should petition the league to try and play Washington 6 times per season.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 20, 2023, 05:16:17 AMYou are a fan and you want your team to win. I remember the 2020 draft when fans were so upset that we won a game and no longer had the second pick  and we would not be able to draft Chris Young , ( Everyone knew Joe Burrow was going first to the Bengels ). WE had to settle for Andrew Thomas with the fourth pick.

Winning builds character

At that point in time we weren't looking for a new QB, so it's not really the best comparison. When you can draft pure BPA it's different than when you clearly need a new QB to take the franchise forward. Unless you're of the view that you want to build around Daniel Jones moving forward and that he's proven himself to be the team's franchise QB long term.

As for "winning builds character", I think this is questionable. I mean we "won" last year and what did that do for us moving forward? We also won in 2016 (11-5 record), and then 2017 was literally one of the most disgraceful, catastrophic years in the history of the franchise. I know people like to believe that winning has some sort of carry-over effect, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence of it. Plus we're not "winning" this year. We're 3-8.

Further, if anything, people tend to say that character is built during times of adversity and that the true worth of a person is how they respond to tough times, not good times. Which kind of flies directly in the face of the claim that "winning builds character."

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but my own is that I have concluded this whole "winning culture" cliche is a bunch of BS. You have a "winning culture" when you're winning a lot of games, and you win a lot of games by having the best possible players. Simple as that. I don't know why we try to mystify that concept into winning being some sort of surreal force in the air. It's about the caliber of talent you're putting on the field, and there is no position that is more important than QB.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 20, 2023, 07:04:18 AMAt that point in time we weren't looking for a new QB, so it's not really the best comparison. When you can draft pure BPA it's different than when you clearly need a new QB to take the franchise forward. Unless you're of the view that you want to build around Daniel Jones moving forward and that he's proven himself to be the team's franchise QB long term.

As for "winning builds character", I think this is questionable. I mean we "won" last year and what did that do for us moving forward? We also won in 2016 (11-5 record), and then 2017 was literally one of the most disgraceful, catastrophic years in the history of the franchise. I know people like to believe that winning has some sort of carry-over effect, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence of it. Plus we're not "winning" this year. We're 3-8.

Further, if anything, people tend to say that character is built during times of adversity and that the true worth of a person is how they respond to tough times, not good times. Which kind of flies directly in the face of the claim that "winning builds character."

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but my own is that I have concluded this whole "winning culture" cliche is a bunch of BS. You have a "winning culture" when you're winning a lot of games, and you win a lot of games by having the best possible players. Simple as that. I don't know why we try to mystify that concept into winning being some sort of surreal force in the air. It's about the caliber of talent you're putting on the field, and there is no position that is more important than QB.

So nice I wish I could like it twice.

Well said.

TDToomer

I cannot take any QB conversation with someone who adores Mike Glennon seriously.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bob In PA

Quote from: Quick Kick on November 19, 2023, 04:30:34 PMWashington really lost the game more than we won it.
Quick: True. There was little to be happy with, except for players we already know are GOOD (we have a few).

As for the players we already know are BAD, they ensured it would be a close game throughout.

The only true bright spot was DeVito, who showed his best parts and avoided many of the rookie traps (this time).

The game was close throughout, so there was some pressure on him to produce.

But it's much easier to play when you've never trailed... even when a lousy offensive line.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

SlotCorner

Excited for the win, I'm glad they got it. Makes Monday a little cheerier. I wish it was against someone else though, we just seem to have the Commies number.

We are still within striking distance of a QB, I think. There are only two winnable games left, Pats and Packers, and I think they lose the Packers game too.

Embrace the win-win! If the Giants win, they win. If they lose: better draft position! It makes the games much less stressful to me. Looking forward to seeing Grumpy Belicheck next week.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 20, 2023, 09:02:25 AMI cannot take any QB conversation with someone who adores Mike Glennon seriously.

Haha. Who adores Mike Glennon?

Bob In PA

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 20, 2023, 09:10:37 AMWe are still within striking distance of a QB, I think.
Slot: Any team with likely high 1st round pick in 2025 is within striking distance in 2024.

Also, the Giants apparently go out of their way to pick QB's who are lesser-known (Simms, Jones, etc.).

IMO, they only have one win left on the schedule, so they'll likely finish with four and get a top-7 pick.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

TDToomer

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Fletch

I don't adore Mike Glennon for the record. It is a funny avatar and Glennon looked funny to me in general, especially while playing. It is kind of sad that the Daniel Jones experiment has me looking forward to such things as a funny looking, Napolean Dynamite kind of guy, playing QB here -- and admittedly very badly. But such is life in the Mara controlled Giants for the pat decade.