News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How franchise QBs were acquired

Started by MightyGiants, November 20, 2023, 10:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Hold on a sec

There is this too-

Kurt Warner UDFA
Joe Montana 3rd round
Tom Brady 6th round
Tony Romo UDFA
Dan Marino 1st round pick #27
Brock Purdy Mr Irrelevant

I guess there is a sliver of hope for Tommy Devito UDFA. Who would join Warner and Romo as UDFAs

plus Brady and Purdy as afterthought 6th rounders

There are exceptions
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kingm56

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 22, 2023, 01:04:08 AMHold on a sec

There is this too-

Kurt Warner UDFA
Joe Montana 3rd round
Tom Brady 6th round
Tony Romo UDFA

I guess there is a sliver of hope for Tommy Devito UDFA. Who would join Warner and Romo as UDFAs

There are exceptions

Most of your examples are 20-to-40 years old; your only recent example hasn't won anything.  Today's game is fundamentally differ than two+ decades ago...

BluesCruz

Quote from: kingm56 on November 22, 2023, 06:34:51 AMMost of your examples are 20-to-40 years old; your only recent example hasn't won anything.  Today's game is fundamentally differ than two+ decades ago...

Do you think any of these HOF QBs would have trouble today if they were in their prime?

I get it.  Some top QBs in todays college game do very well in the NFL. The modern college game prepares them well. Then again some like Zach Wilson are a disaster.  There are no guarantees.

I think picking an NFL QB from the college crop is an art as well as a science.

Id like to see a list of #1 QB college picks who were a train wreck- I'm sure its a long one

Salivating over top 5 picks is not going to help us get a QB.  The Giants are too talented to lose another 6 games this season.

Hey if that happens, and we have a chance to get a sure thing QB lets do it, but what if he is another Zach Wilson?

We have an unpolished gem in Devito, lets see if he continues at this level or even moves higher.  It would not be horrible. 

In that senario I could easily see Devito having to take a seat behind Jones in 2024, but likely not for long (injury prone, losing are in his history)

I think we have a gift handed to us in Tommy Devito.  Lets see how he does going forward.
Did you ever consider the Giants signed UDFA Devito for a reason.  Someone saw something and he is playing at a very high level.

The big question is if Tommy continues his conquests and makes our offense powerful and feared what will Mara say.  Could he bring himself to part with Jones?  Hopefully he leaves all this up to Schoen and Daboll.....time will tell

GordonGekko80

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 20, 2023, 03:32:48 PMso we dont need the 1st overall pick?

In my view it depends on the year, too.
If the first 2-3 picks in the draft are owned by teams which need a Franchise QB, then obv the higher up you are the better it is. It also depends on how good and deep a class on a given position is in a given year.

Bob In PA

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on November 22, 2023, 09:32:38 AMIn my view it depends on the year, too.
If the first 2-3 picks in the draft are owned by teams which need a Franchise QB, then obv the higher up you are the better it is. It also depends on how good and deep a class on a given position is in a given year.
Gordon: Great point. I don't think the Panthers, Bears, Cardinals need yet another QB. Does anyone else?  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 22, 2023, 09:48:32 AMGordon: Great point. I don't think the Panthers, Bears, Cardinals need yet another QB. Does anyone else?  Bob

I think the Bears going QB. Fields is going to be coming off his rookie deal soon and he's shown flashes, but nothing sustained. And they very well might have the top overall pick. They could get a new QB and MHJ. I think that's a strong start for a pseudo-rebuild. But Ryan Pace has not really impressed with his talent identification (Chase Claypool debacle) so who knows what they do.

Cardinals may have to run with Murray because his deal is not easily dumped. And honestly, he's a good QB. Not top tier, but he can win you games.

Panthers don't have their 1st round pick, as they traded it when they moved up for Bryce Young.

MightyGiants

This would be the polar opposite of the data work I do. I try to examine, or better yet, allow others to examine the data, learn, and draw conclusions.  If someone wanted to expand on the work I presented, they could expand from one year to multiple years using the same methodology.  You can also filter the data as @Dgoodmantrublu did. 

Going back 20 to 40 years with no real systematic criteria doesn't produce anything of value, at least analytically speaking.

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 22, 2023, 01:04:08 AMHold on a sec

There is this too-

Kurt Warner UDFA
Joe Montana 3rd round
Tom Brady 6th round
Tony Romo UDFA

There are exceptions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 22, 2023, 10:50:05 AMThis would be the polar opposite of the data work I do. I try to examine, or better yet, allow others to examine the data, learn, and draw conclusions.  If someone wanted to expand on the work I presented, they could expand from one year to multiple years using the same methodology.  You can also filter the data as @Dgoodmantrublu did. 

Going back 20 to 40 years with no real systematic criteria doesn't produce anything of value, at least analytically speaking.

Rich I really appreciate the work you did here.  It was a real eyeopener.
Who knew? BUT As a mediocre team we wont be picking #1 anytime soon.

Having said that I dont think the Giants will draft that low in my lifetime (at 76 who knows how long that is- I'm playing with house money now)

My thesis is the Giants need to find Mr Wonderful some other way.  They are not bad enough to get a top 5 pick- no tankathon in them.   They played Wash like rabid dogs.  Washington impressed me.  Despite the score it was a real battle and our team was super stoked

The Washington offense is very good.  Running game excellent. Receivers excellent. QB struggled a bit but he is dangerous. He was under siege throwing those INTs.  On Defense they let two if their best Dline go and still sacked us 9 times.
They held Barkley to zip in the 1st half.

I liked Devito when he 1st came in to replace TT.  He has a presence about him, undefinable but its there.  His performance Sunday was terrific and his arrow is pointing up to get even better.  Of the QBs I noted Devito most reminds me of Montana and Warner.  Reminds me not saying he's headed to Canton....just has that field presence.

My worry is the Giants do not see what I'm seeing and a guy like Belicheck swoops in and scoops him up.  Then we have a sketchy injury prone starter in Jones, an aging overpaid backup in TT and from where we will draft a question mark rookie QB next year.  Not good.

I say give Tommy D a chance, and dont worry about Jones 2024 salary.  If they do go this route they better sign Devito to a reasonable contract before its an issue.  Or am I wrong- What exactly is Devito's contract situation? Rookie contract? I dont know the rules on UDFA's.

MightyGiants

One thing that it seems no one picked up on was the advantage given to teams that draft their QB into QB friendly environments
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 20, 2023, 03:23:54 PMWho are the top guys.

Burrow. Top pick.
Mahomes. 10th pick.
Josh Allen. 7th pick
Hurts. 2nd round
Stroud. 2nd pick
Tua. 5th pick
Herbert 6th pick
Lamar. Trade up to back of first round.
Lawrence. Top Pick.

If you have anyone below this level, you aren't winning crap without a perfect team around them. Hurts and Lamar are complete outliers. I don't think you are getting this quality of player outside of right around the top 5. Teams are more desperate now because more teams need QBs than at any time in recent memory.

Even though he's been hurt all year Aaron Rodgers would have been on this list. He went 24th overall after an inexplicable draft day drop. Prior to the draft half the mocks had him going first overall. Safe to say 23 teams screwed the pooch on that one.

Giantleap56

This team needs a lot of assets. I would trade down in the draft. Pick up a QB in the lower part of round one or early second and possibly pick up a O-lineman or a receiver in the first.

Bob In PA

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on November 22, 2023, 10:48:03 AMI think the Bears going QB. Fields is going to be coming off his rookie deal soon and he's shown flashes, but nothing sustained. And they very well might have the top overall pick. They could get a new QB and MHJ. I think that's a strong start for a pseudo-rebuild. But Ryan Pace has not really impressed with his talent identification (Chase Claypool debacle) so who knows what they do.

Cardinals may have to run with Murray because his deal is not easily dumped. And honestly, he's a good QB. Not top tier, but he can win you games.

Panthers don't have their 1st round pick, as they traded it when they moved up for Bryce Young.

H-Town: Boy, I hope you're right. Bears going QB would IMO be one of the best things that could happen to Schoen.
I'm aware as of today the Bears have the Panther's pick. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!