News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you like your mattress?

Started by squibber, November 24, 2023, 01:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

I'm in the market for a new mattress. So many choices. There is 100% memory foam, hybrid memory foam, traditional box spring with memory foam topper, traditional box spring, sleep number.

There are plenty of reviews online but nothing beats personal experiences of people you know.

What do you sleep on and why do you like/ dislike it?

T200

I prefer a firmer mattress, no foam toppers or anything like that. After going through a few, we decided to give the Sleep Number a try. Absolutely love it and haven't had any regrets since we bought it about seven years ago.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: squibber on November 24, 2023, 01:52:34 PMI'm in the market for a new mattress.
squib: Me too. Two observations...

(1) You spend a 1/3 of your life sleeping on that bed, so it is probably impossible to "over-spend." 
(2) As you implied, there's a vast difference between foam, hybrid, inner-spring and various combinations, but IMO that is a purely personal preference (which may be governed by health considerations like a 'bad back', so I believe only your views on that subject are important. 

My only advice... a lot of people buy a mattress and get a "topper" for it. It attaches w/stretchy straps.  We did that. DON'T. The thing moves around. If you want a top piece get one that comes already attached (even if it is somehow removable). Separate strap systems don't work, no matter how fancy or expensive.

Bob

PS. Sadly (for both of us, probably) we think alike. The "Rowan and Martin" joke you made in Lenny's post about his latest grandchild was a line I had also conjured up (still hoping to have a chance to use it - if my only child and her husband come through with a 2nd grandchild for us). But in our case, the joke's no good unless the 2nd is a boy - our Rowan is a girl, and "Rowan and Martina" just doesn't work lol).
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on November 24, 2023, 02:05:54 PMI prefer a firmer mattress, no foam toppers or anything like that. After going through a few, we decided to give the Sleep Number a try. Absolutely love it and haven't had any regrets since we bought it about seven years ago.
Tim: We're strongly considering one of those. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 24, 2023, 02:45:16 PMTim: We're strongly considering one of those. Bob
Being able to get it dialed in works for so many different needs. I love it because it's the Little Bear bed... "this one's juuuuuuuust right!"
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Sem

Earlier this year we bought a new Beautyrest (Simmons), cal king mattress online from Costco. It's a standard mattress, no topper or other bells and whistles. I think it's firm, or at least medium firm. Either way I no longer wake up with back aches. We spun it 180 degrees after a few months, and will continue to do so every few months. So far so good, we like it. Costco offers free delivery and haul away of the old one if that's a concern.

LennG

Sqib

We really have been thru the mattress market lately. my wife was brought up with the idea that the harder the mattress, the better it is for your back. If she could put a board on a concrete slab, it would suit her. I have tried to explain that in today's mattresses, there is so much new technology that even a plush mattress can give excellent support. That said, she still doesn't believe this.
We have tried all of those that come on a box and expand when you open them. Believe me when I say we have tried them all. They all come with a 120-day trial and we have used them all and my wife never really liked any of them. We did settle on a Helix and they supplied a topper, but she was never quite happy with that. $1000 out the window. We next went to a Simmons Beauty rest which I really liked but she woke up every day complaining, so another $700 out the Window. Now we have gotten a decent mattress from Costco, so if we don't like it it goes back and we get our money back. It is some sort of Sealy I believe. It does have a sort of pillow top but underneath it has a lot of support and so far, no complaints. We have only had it for about 4 months. Myself, I can sleep on anything except that concrete slab that she prefers.
We did go to the Sleep Number store and almost bought one there, but we decided to give this Costco thing a try. If this doesn't work out we will be there ASAP.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Well, I'm in the minority here. We have a sleep number which we've had for years and I don't care for it. My wife loves it but to me it's just a larger version of a blow up air mattress. No matter how I adjust the number it's still an air mattress. I just don't find it that comfortable. It's getting near time for a replacement and I'm not sure what we'll do.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

I may be in the minority here, but my wife and I are big fans of very plush, soft mattresses. I know many disagree. We have had a Kingsdown pillow top for about eight years now and we love it. I feel like I'm sleeping on a cloud in it.

When they say "there's no place like home", I fully agree with that and getting back to my own bed is usually a huge part of that.

Jolly Blue Giant

After going through back surgery, I found myself sleeping on the carpeted floor as it was the only way I could get comfortable. A soft bed killed my back. Anyway, to make a long story short, I went to the mattress store and asked to try the stiffest mattress they had. I bought it and love it
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: