News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Trivia Stumper

Started by Giant Obsession, November 26, 2023, 01:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

During the 1961, 62, and 63 seasons The Giants All Pro split end (now designated wide receiver) Scored 33 Touchdowns gaining over 1000 years each season. 

What was the uniqueness and oddity of his 33 touchdowns ??
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Giant Jim

I think you're going to have to give a hint.

Philosophers

Pure guess - he scored a TD against every team in the NFL.

Dumpster Dan

Right up my alley

One of my all time greats

Dumpster Dan

spiderblue43

The Giff? Faultless Frank? Gifford did it all; he ran..caught and threw tds..and played secondary. :ok:

afan56

Del Shofner had 11,12 and 9 in those years 32 total.

Dumpster Dan

Del Shofner--BUt what was unique about them--thats the key to the trivia I think Obsession is asking???

Dumpster Dan

Rosehill Jimmy

I'm going to guess and say none were less than 20 yds?  What I do know is he dropped a perfectly thrown TD vs Bears in 63 championship game.  Would have given us 14-0 lead and to this day I believe that drop cost us the title
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on November 26, 2023, 11:35:55 AMI'm going to guess and say none were less than 20 yds?  What I do know is he dropped a perfectly thrown TD vs Bears in 63 championship game.  Would have given us 14-0 lead and to this day I believe that drop cost us the title

The one stain on an otherwise brilliant career

Those were the days--played both sides of the ball if needed   and in a pinch   PUNTED

Dumpster Dan

Dumpster Dan

I didnt mean to hijack this thread

I dont think it has been answered yet

Dumpster Dan

Giant Jim

I'm still waiting for a hint. :)

Giant Obsession

My bad and my apologies.  Yes it was Del Shofner which I should have told everyone originally.  So much for posting in the middle of the night :)

Now...the uniqueness of those 33 TD's is actually the thrust behind the thread.

And it was unique.

I am not sure how to give a hint without giving the answer so open your mind and let it flow.

And you are so right, that drop against the Bears in the '63 Championship totally overshadows for me his brilliant Giant career.

He was never the same after 1963.  Injuries and serious bouts with stomach ulcers plagues him the rest of his career.  In fact in 1964 he was even hospitalized for two weeks during the season for his ulcers.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

Giant Obsession

Okat, I will give the answer at 11 tonight.  Racking my brain for  a hint the only thing I could think of was the odds of these 33 TD's occurring in similar circumstances must be astronomical. 
Mike

Dumpster Dan

Its a great trivia question

I'm surprised some of the followers of the 60's Giants don't remember.

Dumpster Dan

Giant Obsession

Congratulations to Dumpster Dan.

Del Shofner's 32 TD's that he scored between 1961 and 1963 .....ALL came in games that the Giants WON.

I am still blown away by that fact.
Mike