News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

At the bye, do you feel the Giants are heading in the right direction?

Started by MightyGiants, November 29, 2023, 10:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the Giants heading in the right direction under Schoen and Daboll?

MightyGiants

I am discussing the big picture and what the team has done under the new Schoen/Daboll regimen.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Ironically the defense, which has a coordinator supposedly at odds with the HC, looks headed in the right direction. 

The offense to me is stuck in mud and spinning wheels.  The line is still a mess that cannot block even mediocre front 7s well.  Injuries have not helped, but it's not like they looked good with everyone healthy at the beginning of the year.  I was happy to see Hyatt more involved last week.  Some have stated he can only run 1 route, but he definitely ran more than that on Sunday.

DaveBrown74

I went with the 2nd option "I think they're going in the right direction but am not sure."

Broadly speaking I have been happy with Schoen. I get that he has made mistakes, and I didn't love his press conference the other day (for a few reasons), but broadly speaking I am still happy he is our GM. I think he's smart, hard-working, and disciplined. No doubt he has not been perfect, but I think he is good.

I couldn't really go with the first option because we have really been awful this year (have had humiliating losses and our wins have been nail-biters against terrible teams), and we also don't know who our QB is going to be for the next several years, except that we have Jones next year at a $47mm cap hit. So I can't really give him the top score, but I explained in @Ed Vette 's thread the other day why I am not willing to give Schoen a full F grade for the Jones deal as the circumstances at the time made any other option extremely difficult if not impossible. He has made other mistakes though, so the 2nd pick feels right to me.

As for Daboll, it's a similar story. I definitely like him overall, quite a bit actually, and getting coach of the year last year was well-deserved and was impressive. With that said, one could reasonably argue that he hasn't handled adversity all that well this year. Still, I am not so knee-jerk as to want to run him out of town for this season. Not even close for me. I think he's a good coach.

So broadly speaking I think we're heading in the right direction under the broad leadership of these two men, but it is clearly not certain. I mean if they draft a QB and the guy is a bust, then they're going to be gone. Same as if they don't draft one, and talk themselves into building around Jones, and we get more of the same. So they have their challenge - we'll see if they're up to it.

katkavage

It all depends on what they do in the off season. If they don't address the QB situation in a major way, it will continue to spiral down.

T200

It's too early to tell. This season is dead. It was a precipitous drop from last season. Marginally better QB play from a 3rd-string QB does nothing to move the needle for me. I'm glad he's pushing the ball down the field and being aggressive but I don't see him as the long-term option and won't have much effect on the team's fortunes next season.

This season is a clear failure but as far as whether it's gotten better over the past two weeks, I'll give it an 'INC' until more games are played.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: