News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QB pressure rate vs time to pressure

Started by MightyGiants, November 29, 2023, 05:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeauxJints

MightyGiants

Quote from: GeauxJints on November 29, 2023, 07:37:48 PMLMAOOO not a good look for DJ

Actually it shows DJ had the worst conditions (in terms of protection) in the league.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GeauxJints

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 29, 2023, 07:42:00 PMActually it shows DJ had the worst conditions (in terms of protection) in the league.
Tyrod had the same line and Devito's line not much different. DJ doesn't know how to audible for protection.

JT39

Quote from: GeauxJints on November 29, 2023, 09:12:33 PMTyrod had the same line and Devito's line not much different. DJ doesn't know how to audible for protection.

That has nothing to do with the stat.

It may have to do with the fact that neither Taylor nor Devito had the ineptness of Ezeudu, McKathean, Mayfield, and what other inept OL were playing.

Having Thomas and Pugh (as bad as he is) are worlds better than those mentioned previously.

Ed Vette

One factor is the competition faced. To see how much it may have been a factor, rack the Defensive pass rush by team for each QB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Rich: Stop bothering us with information while we're spouting off like Ahab's white whale. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 29, 2023, 09:44:13 PMRich: Stop bothering us with information while we're spouting off like Ahab's white whale. Bob

Bob,

The problem with this metric is it's viewed in a complete vacuum; for example, some of the pressures are the result of blitzing and/or crowding the LoS because DCs know DJ has poor processing skills; thus, he's unlikely to decipher what the defense is doing (i.e. burn them).  It's not a consequence the OL has looked better under Taylor, who has marginally better processing speed than DJ. I do appreciate Ed's notion of considering relative DL strengths...I think that matters too. 

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on November 29, 2023, 09:49:04 PMBob,

The problem with this metric is it's viewed in a complete vacuum; for example, some of the pressures are the result of blitzing and/or crowding the LoS because DCs know DJ has poor processing skills; thus, he's unlikely to decipher what the defense is doing (i.e. burn them).  It's not a consequence the OL has looked better under Taylor, who has marginally better processing speed than DJ. I do appreciate Ed's notion of considering relative DL strengths...I think that matters too. 

Every metric can be parsed.  Also, a fan can't tell if say a missed block on a blitzing LB was the result of a QB not calling the right blocking assignment or an OL player simply not making the block.

You are also drawing a conclusion in which other conclusions can be drawn.  For example, you are saying the OL has looked better under Taylor and saying he has better processing speed, but the OL can look better because OL players are healthier, OL players are learning now how to play better and communicate better amongst themselves, Kafka is calling a play that is more advantageous to the offense or that Taylor is processing the play better than DJ.

I am not saying DJ has good or bad processing speed.  I don't know but I also think no fan knows.

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on November 29, 2023, 10:16:22 PMEvery metric can be parsed.  Also, a fan can't tell if say a missed block on a blitzing LB was the result of a QB not calling the right blocking assignment or an OL player simply not making the block.

You are also drawing a conclusion in which other conclusions can be drawn.  For example, you are saying the OL has looked better under Taylor and saying he has better processing speed, but the OL can look better because OL players are healthier, OL players are learning now how to play better and communicate better amongst themselves, Kafka is calling a play that is more advantageous to the offense or that Taylor is processing the play better than DJ.

I am not saying DJ has good or bad processing speed.  I don't know but I also think no fan knows.

i didn't draw any conclusion other than to say this metric shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum.  Moreover, pressure doesn't equate to bad QB play, as demonstrated by Burrow, Lawerence, Herbert, Purdy, etc.  Again, fans overcomplicate the simplistic; the OL started playing better when a different QB was inserted, no matter how you parse the data....

Doc16LT56

Quote from: GeauxJints on November 29, 2023, 09:12:33 PMTyrod had the same line and Devito's line not much different. DJ doesn't know how to audible for protection.
Yes. In his fifth season Daniel Jones still plays like a rookie. Not sure why it's so difficult for others here to see.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Philosophers on November 29, 2023, 10:16:22 PMEvery metric can be parsed.  Also, a fan can't tell if say a missed block on a blitzing LB was the result of a QB not calling the right blocking assignment or an OL player simply not making the block.

It could also be magical elves conspiring against Daniel Jones. We can't say for sure. No one knows. Perhaps in 4-5 more years we'll have enough information to properly evaluate Jones.  /sarcasm/

kingm56

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 30, 2023, 12:02:35 AMIt could also be magical elves conspiring against Daniel Jones. We can't say for sure. No one knows. Perhaps in 4-5 more years we'll have enough information to properly evaluate Jones.  /sarcasm/

LOL...For four years we've been listening to fans explaining away DJ's ineptitude, which makes me think of the line from MoneyBall: "If he's a good hitter, why doesn't he hit"?  Let's not overcomplicate our observations; DJ's fails to produce above-average passing numbers, because he's not an above-average passer.  It's not lost on me that the fans who follow this very simply philosophy have been correct about DJ's (and other QBs (Donald/Mayfield) maturation for the past 4-years. Those that continue to profess the importance of coaching, systems, and other support apparatuses are often proven incorrect (Donald w/Rhule comes to mind).   Over the last 30 years, a QB demonstrates their abilities by game ~26; after that, they don't magically move to different tiers through the wonders of coaching, or supporting casts.  Yet, fans continue to discuss said maturation as if they're common occurrences.  I guess it's more entertaining than just agreeing he's not very good...

BluesCruz

Offensive linemen respond to positive feedback

This chart shows Tommy is getting time to pass
perhaps thats because the linemen try a bit harder for a QB they feel will complete a decent pass most of the time

Why break your back for a QB who dumps it off 60% of the time

Same for Rushing.  Barkley is having a better statistical year than I figured he would at 4.2 YPC....normally he is 3.4 guy.
Again the Oline is helping him find real holes and creases

Human nature- Success breeds Success
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Bob In PA

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 29, 2023, 11:59:10 PMYes. In his fifth season Daniel Jones still plays like a rookie. Not sure why it's so difficult for others here to see.
Doc: I think even his strongest defenders (I'm one) will acknowledge disappointment.

I only speak for me but the issue is whether he ever got a fair shot, and there are just too many reasons for us to hang our hats on in answering that question in the negative.

Even the owner admitted it in public. However, I'm on your side in the sense that I think you can only go for so long before you give up. We probably differ on WHEN to give up. I'd say not until after next season regardless of whether they draft a QB in 2024 (unless it's a player who takes the job away from Jones rather than having it handed to him).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!