News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Trade up in round one for a QB or take one in round two?

Started by MightyGiants, December 01, 2023, 09:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your preference?  (explanation of the scenario below)

MightyGiants

I think the obvious answer is a quarterback falls to the Giants in round one; they draft him and never look back.   Only past history suggests the Giants are not going to let that happen.  They will win enough games to push them out of having a franchise QB fall to them.

So that leaves the Giants the choice of giving up massive draft capital (including a first-rounder for the 2025 draft), reaching for a QB in round one (not the best athlete available at the draft position), or drafting one in round 2.

Now, I know some will argue instead of reaching, you trade down.  The flaw in this argument is that tradedowns only work with multiple targets still on the board.  Trading down with only one target creates a strong risk of losing that player to another team.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

I'm not a big fan of the guys that might be going in Round 2 so I would say go get your guy.  Now if the Giants decided that Maye/Williams were clearly the top 2 guys and everybody from 3 to 8 were graded similarly then sure, you wait, but for me I like Daniels a LOT and after him I'd probably even prefer Nix/Penix over the guys slated for Round 2 so I'd make sure I got my guy.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 01, 2023, 09:49:24 AMI'm not a big fan of the guys that might be going in Round 2 so I would say go get your guy.  Now if the Giants decided that Maye/Williams were clearly the top 2 guys and everybody from 3 to 8 were graded similarly then sure, you wait, but for me I like Daniels a LOT and after him I'd probably even prefer Nix/Penix over the guys slated for Round 2 so I'd make sure I got my guy.
Agree. My question right now is whether Jayden Daniels elevates himself enough so that this becomes a big-3 QB draft rather than a big-2. I keep hearing great things about Daniels but not clear on how things will ultimately shake out.

T200

If there's a guy they like, they need to do everything they can, within reason, to get him. Waiting for a player to potentially fall is akin to playing prevent defense.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

If the GM who has spent countless hours scouting and is convinced he knows who he wants, then yes do what it is takes to get him. You don't win by waiting for thing to happen. Either way his rep is on the line
Play it safe and watch it pass by you.

Gmo11

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 01, 2023, 10:03:01 AMAgree. My question right now is whether Jayden Daniels elevates himself enough so that this becomes a big-3 QB draft rather than a big-2. I keep hearing great things about Daniels but not clear on how things will ultimately shake out.

For me it is.  I've watched a lot of him recently and I think he's played himself into that tier.  Maybe other would need to see more and that's totally fair but I think he's right there. 

President Rick

Personally I haven't seen a true pro-ready 'sure-fire' qb in this year's crop.  A couple of the names matched as round 1 qb's IMO have potential bust on their jerseys.  Of those who look maybe pro-ready or are from a pro-style system, there are maybe oregon's Nix and the michigan qb.  IMO they are second rounders so I voted for that.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Ed Vette

Sit tight and pick Nix, Daniels, Penix or McCarthy. IMO, one or more of them will be lighting it up at this level.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 01, 2023, 10:53:30 AMSit tight and pick Nix, Daniels, Penix or McCarthy. IMO, one or more of them will be lighting it up at this level.

Ed,

You added what appears to me to be an unrealistic option (which also sort of defeats the point of this poll, which is what the team does if they lack the ideal situation).   From what I am seeing, there are the two top QBs who will be gone in the first 3 picks.  Then, one more in the top 5, maybe last until 6 or 7, and then there will be about a ten-or-so pick gap before another QB is drafted.  From past history, the Giants are likely to be sitting near the top of that top 10 or so slot that is a QB desert.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

Yea my vote is keep going with Jones because that is what people were saying about Phil Simms too. And get him some more weapons and Oline players.

You know the thing with Simms was? He was hurt for and missed a whole year and was benched a year. So, when 1984 rolled around technically he was in the NFL for 6 years but, it was really 4 years and, in that time, he was a rookie of the year, a pro bowler, was QBing on a team that lost in a divisional round , by his 5th year as a starting AND PLAYING QB -- he was a SB MVP, going to Disney, and all that.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 01, 2023, 11:04:09 AMEd,

You added what appears to me to be an unrealistic option (which also sort of defeats the point of this poll, which is what the team does if they lack the ideal situation).  From what I am seeing, there are the two top QBs who will be gone in the first 3 picks.  Then, one more in the top 5, maybe last until 6 or 7, and then there will be about a ten-or-so pick gap before another QB is drafted.  From past history, the Giants are likely to be sitting near the top of that top 10 or so slot that is a QB desert.
It's very realistic Rich. There are excellent WR's in this draft and there will be at least two QB's available from the top 5 by the time the Giants pick and one will fall to the second round. So unless Tommy Cutlets runs the table and the Giants make the playoffs they can sit. But if you still disagree, edit the poll. I just thought you omitted it not realizing the option.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

It's also possible the Head Case Calib stays another year.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Fletch on December 01, 2023, 11:12:34 AMYea my vote is keep going with Jones because that is what people were saying about Phil Simms too. And get him some more weapons and Oline players.

You know the thing with Simms was? He was hurt for and missed a whole year and was benched a year. So, when 1984 rolled around technically he was in the NFL for 6 years but, it was really 4 years and, in that time, he was a rookie of the year, a pro bowler, was QBing on a team that lost in a divisional round , by his 5th year as a starting AND PLAYING QB -- he was a SB MVP, going to Disney, and all that.

Those were the good ole' days.  When you could throw 13 TDs and 14 INTs and be Offensive rookie of the Year.  Or throw 21 TDs and 22 INTs and your team goes 14-2 and wins the Super Bowl.. 

Philosophers

I think it's unreastic to think all these people QBs will go top 10 when you have other positions with exceptional players.  Add to that the Combine in which 1-2 light it up and move from top 20 to top 10.

I think it's 2 QBs in top 10 and I dont think the Giants have to move if they like one of a group of say 3.

brownelvis54

I see sit back and take the best quarterback when it's your turn to pick there there's so many guys that could drop to us when we pick and right now I believe we pick around six that could change. We could go as low as 10 and as high, as maybe four.

My first pick would be the kid from Michigan. My second pick would be the one from LSU and there are other guys such as Oregon and Texas.

The KING is in the building