News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The week off didn't change things for Dex or Evan Neal

Started by MightyGiants, December 05, 2023, 12:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1GBLUE

what does it really matter. season is over. dex will be dex when he comes back, no use in making things worse potentially. same with waller. dude just cant stay on the field. we were warned.

Bob In PA

Rich: IMO smart move. No reason to rush back either guy, although Neal can use as much practice as he can get. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Neal needs to play better if he wants to remain a starter or even a Giant at all. Schoen said it himself at the press conference. He needs all the reps he can get. I would not dream of sitting him if he is cleared. I'm not advocating "rushing him back", but I definitely wouldn't deliberately slow-play it either. This guy has to get better. You don't get better standing on the sideline in a warm-up suit.

spiderblue43

Dave,

Couldn't agree more about Neal. He's been terrible on the field and missed significant time as well. Has bust written all over him and we can't even get a glimpse of improvement being out

:banghead:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on December 05, 2023, 02:14:49 PMDave,

Couldn't agree more about Neal. He's been terrible on the field and missed significant time as well. Has bust written all over him and we can't even get a glimpse of improvement being out

:banghead:

Fully agreed Spider. Not to mention he was probably the last guy who should have insulted the fans, but he managed to do that too on top of everything else.

Disastrous pick by Schoen to this point, and I'm a Schoen supporter.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 05, 2023, 02:20:48 PMFully agreed Spider. Not to mention he was probably the last guy who should have insulted the fans, but he managed to do that too on top of everything else.

Disastrous pick by Schoen to this point, and I'm a Schoen supporter.

Can't hit on all of them.  And at the time it was the no brainer pick to make.  There was just no indication that Neal would turn out to be THIS bad without any sort of improvement from year 1 to year 2.  Maybe he can slide into guard in the future.  Tough to blame Schoen for that one in real time but clearly the wrong decision in hindsight.

Woody

Big contracts speak louder than doctors at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 05, 2023, 03:55:53 PMCan't hit on all of them.  And at the time it was the no brainer pick to make.  There was just no indication that Neal would turn out to be THIS bad without any sort of improvement from year 1 to year 2.  Maybe he can slide into guard in the future.  Tough to blame Schoen for that one in real time but clearly the wrong decision in hindsight.

I had this discussion with someone else the other day, so I won't go through the whole thing again, but I personally don't believe in absolving GMs for taking a guy who happened to be on Mel Kiper's (and everyone else's) draft board in a similar location, and then he doesn't work out. The same way I'm not going to withhold credit to a GM for taking a guy who wasn't obvious at all but then pans out in flying colors. You make the pick, you own it. It doesn't matter what Todd McShay or even other team's professional scouts think.

And, to be very clear, I say all of the above as someone who is a fan of Schoen. A big fan actually. I like him a lot, I think he has done a good job overall to this point, and I expect him to be the GM here for a substantial amount of time. As you said yourself, you can't hit on all of them, and that applies to Schoen too. I'm hardly picking on him. I just don't believe in giving passes for taking an "obvious" guy and having him be a disaster. A GM making millions of dollars a year with a hand-picked scouting department is going off his own and his team's own analysis, not what Dan Jeremiah and Chris Simms think. The Neal pick doesn't mean Schoen isn't doing a good job overall. It means he got that pick wrong, which is all I said.

ralphpal1

The problem.is why evan neal is bad?
Why didnt what he do in college translate to the nfl
If you can see the reasons then that is bad
If he got hurt then there is nothing youn.can do
If he didnt care but you did your homework
Again nothing you can do.
Evan neal cares and tries to get better
What is the reason he isnt
Coaching
Just not able.to
If you miss on this
Then he has to understand why =D>

Jclayton92

I am going to be in the minority but Neal was getting better and better every game until the injury. He hasn't even played a full season yet and he's a bust to most.

Legit wild that Thibs and Neal were busts by a huge group of fans a few games into the season and those same fans are fine trotting Daniel Jones out for a 6th season to do absolutely nothing. Just wild that the pitch forks can come for a guy that hasn't played a full year when one that has played 5 gets every pass in the book for no reason.

Our oline coach Is bad, McDermott took day to day oline responsibilities away from him in Buffalo and then he left with daboll that offseason.

New oline coach coupled with a healthy Neal and I think we see significant improvement as long as he can get back on the field this season and get more reps.

nb587

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 05, 2023, 08:39:05 PMI am going to be in the minority but Neal was getting better and better every game until the injury. He hasn't even played a full season yet and he's a bust to most.

Legit wild that Thibs and Neal were busts by a huge group of fans a few games into the season and those same fans are fine trotting Daniel Jones out for a 6th season to do absolutely nothing. Just wild that the pitch forks can come for a guy that hasn't played a full year when one that has played 5 gets every pass in the book for no reason.

Our oline coach Is bad, McDermott took day to day oline responsibilities away from him in Buffalo and then he left with daboll that offseason.

New oline coach coupled with a healthy Neal and I think we see significant improvement as long as he can get back on the field this season and get more reps.
I'm going to agree with this post about Neal.  Early on, he looked as badly as he was last season, but I thought he picked up his game until he got hurt.  What I'm not understanding, and this is on Schoen and Daboll, is the hiring and retention of the OL coach. The Giants have had issues with the OL for over a decade but they have finally put in enough resources that there should have significant improvement.  Instead, they've gone backwards. While some of it is related to injuries, at least some is on the coaching.  There are good OL coaches out there so why are we stuck with a Bills castoff?

Woody

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on December 05, 2023, 09:29:14 PMI'm going to agree with this post about Neal.  Early on, he looked as badly as he was last season, but I thought he picked up his game until he got hurt.  What I'm not understanding, and this is on Schoen and Daboll, is the hiring and retention of the OL coach. The Giants have had issues with the OL for over a decade but they have finally put in enough resources that there should have significant improvement.  Instead, they've gone backwards. While some of it is related to injuries, at least some is on the coaching.  There are good OL coaches out there so why are we stuck with a Bills castoff?
Yeah I think that changes this offseason, it should have at the end of last season.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE