News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT--Sunday thread

Started by spiderblue43, December 10, 2023, 12:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Quote from: Fletch on December 10, 2023, 10:26:56 PMMahomes is overrated. He is an above average QB playing on a team that at one time had Ty Hill. Has a coach that is really hitting his stride. The Kielce factor. That line.

Maybe I'm going over board here but it seems like I can rubber stamp every Chiefs game I've watched this year: Mahomes throwing meatballs balls all game and they just expect to win the game with like 1:45 left by 15 yard penalties or PI.. if that does not occur they whine like babies

Maybe?? Good luck betting against the Giants led by TommyD. If we win out and make the SB will you be rooting for the other team?   I dont see the Bears, or NE tanking. Losing begets losing and bad luck
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 07:20:51 AMEver since he started dating her, his focus hasn't been on football. It's the Kardashian effect.

I'm not a Swiftie and don't listen to much pop music but it is insulting to compare what she has accomplished to a fake made up reality TV family that got famous for sex tapes.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

T200

Quote from: TDToomer on December 11, 2023, 08:44:39 AMI'm not a Swiftie and don't listen to much pop music but it is insulting to compare what she has accomplished to a fake made up reality TV family that got famous for sex tapes.
I wasn't talking about their careers or accomplishments. I couldn't care less as neither are on my radar. I was talking about the effects of their stardom and notoriety on their athlete beaus.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

BluesCruz

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 08:59:33 AMI wasn't talking about their careers or accomplishments. I couldn't care less as neither are on my radar. I was talking about the effects of their stardom and notoriety on their athlete beaus.

Remember when soe Giats fan put a Jessica Simpson look alike in the Stadium after Tony begged her to stay away??  LOL
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 08:59:33 AMI wasn't talking about their careers or accomplishments. I couldn't care less as neither are on my radar. I was talking about the effects of their stardom and notoriety on their athlete beaus.

I can't say the Swift relationship and all the drama that has come with it has helped Kelce in any way, but it shouldn't be lost on anyone that he is now 34 years old. Other great pass catching tight ends like Gronk and Jimmy Graham started to decline at significantly younger ages. Age-related decline is likely to be part of the equation here.

Also, Kelce's season isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Right now, through 12 games, he has 80 catches for 896 yards and 5 TDs. That prorates to 113 catches for 1,269 yards and 7 TDs in a 17 game season.

While that wouldn't be his absolute best year, I wouldn't call it a big drop-off from his norms either.

Fletch

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 11, 2023, 07:25:41 AMI respectfully disagree with this. If he were dependent on Hill we wouldn't have seen him win the MVP and another SB ring the year after Hill got traded away. His numbers without Hill last year were exceptional, and he had no wide receivers anyone would call above average. Mahomes is the real deal. No doubt he is having a rough year, as are a number of other QBs, but he is absolutely an elite talent in my mind. In terms of raw ability there aren't many better ones I have seen in my lifetime, and I've been following the sport since the early 80s. If he pulled an Andrew Luck and retired right now he'd waltz into the HOF on the first ballot. And he's just in the early years of his prime at this point.

That is all because of stats which he is helped by Travis Kelce and a coach that finally both of whom are hall of famers.

You take Browning -- a freakin back-up -- and he would be shining on the Chiefs.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fletch on December 11, 2023, 09:20:46 AMThat is all because of stats which he is helped by Travis Kelce and a coach that finally both of whom are hall of famers.

You take Browning -- a freakin back-up -- and he would be shining on the Chiefs.

I don't disagree that he has been in a good situation, but again I think it's interesting that the removal of an elite, first ballot HOF stud WR had no impact on him last year, either in terms of stats or accomplishments.

Stats aside, Mahomes has always just passed the eye test for me in flying colors. He can make throws that most if not all other QBs can make. His processing is top notch. He is accurate. He has a big arm. His pocket presence is elite. He can throw on the run, including at crazy angles. I actually can't think of one thing he is not good at.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 11, 2023, 09:22:38 AMI don't disagree that he has been in a good situation, but again I think it's interesting that the removal of an elite, first ballot HOF stud WR had no impact on him last year, either in terms of stats or accomplishments.

Stats aside, Mahomes has always just passed the eye test for me in flying colors. He can make throws that most if not all other QBs can make. His processing is top notch. He is accurate. He has a big arm. His pocket presence is elite. He can throw on the run, including at crazy angles. I actually can't think of one thing he is not good at.
He even throws a pretty mean helmet too!  :P  :P

TDToomer

Is there any proof that dating a celebrity leads to a decline in play. I remember when Romo took off to Cabo with Jessica Simpson before they played us in the 07 playoff and he failed to deliver. It was a hot topic. But I also recall a particular QB that is known as the GOAT who married the biggest supermodel in the world and his stats got better.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on December 11, 2023, 10:30:34 AMIs there any proof that dating a celebrity leads to a decline in play. I remember when Romo took off to Cabo with Jessica Simpson before they played us in the 07 playoff and he failed to deliver. It was a hot topic. But I also recall a particular QB that is known as the GOAT who married the biggest supermodel in the world and his stats got better.

I don't see why having a girlfriend would/should lead to a decline in play. As stated above, I'm not sure how much his play has even declined, but I get that it's not a career year for him. I guess if he's doing things like going out at night and traveling to Argentina (admittedly this was in a bye week) to be with her during her tour, you can make the case that his mind isn't 100% on football, but the guy has been a total pro and one of the most durable and reliable players in the league for the last decade. Kind of hard to say he's blowing up because he has a girlfriend that happens to be famous.

To me the player that is underperforming the most on that team is Mahomes, not him.

T200

Quote from: TDToomer on December 11, 2023, 10:30:34 AMIs there any proof that dating a celebrity leads to a decline in play. I remember when Romo took off to Cabo with Jessica Simpson before they played us in the 07 playoff and he failed to deliver. It was a hot topic. But I also recall a particular QB that is known as the GOAT who married the biggest supermodel in the world and his stats got better.
Is there any proof that a boat trip was the reason the Giants lost to Green Bay?

In some cases, perception is reality. May not be a logical connection but I truly think there is something there. But hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something.  :ok:

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Speaking of good games-Vikes 3, Raiders zilch, and on a game-winning FG as time expired.

Probably as exciting as our 6-3 win over the Pats
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss