News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As of right now, we are picking 5th overall:

Started by DaveBrown74, December 10, 2023, 07:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: TDToomer on December 11, 2023, 08:47:31 AMKeep rooting Fields and the Bears. The better he looks the more likely the Bears pick up his 5th year option and do not draft a QB. either of their 1st round picks will be up for trade. 
I don't see a scenario where the Bears don't pick Williams.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

H-Town G-Fan

Possible if the Giants lose tonight they move into the #4 spot, as they'd be tied with Washington for winning percentage and may have a worse strength-of-schedule.

T200

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 11, 2023, 11:10:35 AMPossible if the Giants lose tonight they move into the #4 spot, as they'd be tied with Washington for winning percentage and may have a worse strength-of-schedule.
Where does head-to-head record fall in the tie-breaker list?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Uni

Quote from: T200 on December 11, 2023, 11:12:28 AMWhere does head-to-head record fall in the tie-breaker list?
It only applies if there are two teams with the same record. If there are more than two teams, it is purely based on SOS.

Jclayton92

Would like to see us do an evolving big board thread or something like that just to give everyone an idea of the top prospects.

Daniels was a day 3 prospect coming into this season so I don't think his grade jumps that much and I think most mocks will still have him going outside the top 10 as QB3.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 11, 2023, 12:32:07 PMWould like to see us do an evolving big board thread or something like that just to give everyone an idea of the top prospects.

Daniels was a day 3 prospect coming into this season so I don't think his grade jumps that much and I think most mocks will still have him going outside the top 10 as QB3.

Interesting. You could certainly be right, although he wouldn't be the first QB who wasn't on the radar the year before surge to the top 5 based on having one big season. Burrow did that, and so did Zack Wilson. Obviously Wilson is a cautionary tale, but the point is he still made the jump. The fact that Daniels is from the same program Burrow was and has a similar back-story (not a factor in his previous school) and then had one huge year may endear teams to him.

I really don't know to be honest. I think there are enough teams wanting QBs this year, and the early thoughts on the 2025 class don't seem to be great. I tend to think they'll be at a premium, myself.

Gmo11

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 11, 2023, 12:32:07 PMWould like to see us do an evolving big board thread or something like that just to give everyone an idea of the top prospects.

I'd be stunned if he falls out of the top 10.  I'd be surprised if he fell out of the top 5.  If anthony richardson can go #4 overall with his college production, Daniels has to go in the top 5 too.  I know he's on the smaller side but it certainly doesn't seem to have slowed him down much this season.  He can easily put on some muscle and if he went to the Giants for example wouldn't have to start Day 1 anyway since Jones is immovable.  I'd be over the moon if the Giants could get him whether it's at 4 or 5 or if they had to make a trade into one of those spots to do it.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 11, 2023, 01:04:23 PMI'd be stunned if he falls out of the top 10.  I'd be surprised if he fell out of the top 5.  If anthony richardson can go #4 overall with his college production, Daniels has to go in the top 5 too.  I know he's on the smaller side but it certainly doesn't seem to have slowed him down much this season.  He can easily put on some muscle and if he went to the Giants for example wouldn't have to start Day 1 anyway since Jones is immovable.  I'd be over the moon if the Giants could get him whether it's at 4 or 5 or if they had to make a trade into one of those spots to do it.

Height is the most important aspect of QB size in my opinion (because you can't do anything about it). Daniels is listed as 6'4". Even if that is an inch or so higher than reality, I think it is fair to say his height is not an issue. Weight/bulk can be augmented. And if he's 210 right now that's not really a disaster. Lamar was 208 at the combine, and his size has never been an issue.

If Daniels busts or disappoints, I don't think it will be because he is too slight.

Painter

Will we be able and/or prepared, to cope with the possibility, perhaps even the likelihood, that Schoen/Daboll Co. may not draft a QB with their 1st pick no matter who, when, and where?

Cheers!

katkavage

Quote from: Painter on December 11, 2023, 02:03:49 PMWill we be able and/or prepared, to cope with the possibility, perhaps even the likelihood, that Schoen/Daboll Co. may not draft a QB with their 1st pick no matter who, when, and where?

Cheers!

I think we can. Life will go on. The Giants will continue to flounder in mediocrity and we can continue this diatribe next year, same time, same station.

Jclayton92

Quote from: katkavage on December 11, 2023, 02:21:11 PMI think we can. Life will go on. The Giants will continue to flounder in mediocrity and we can continue this diatribe next year, same time, same station.
It all starts with the Qb, you either have one or you don't. We don't currently and until we do it will be really hard to grade how good/bad our line and skill players are doing.

coggs

Quote from: Uni on December 11, 2023, 11:26:54 AMIt only applies if there are two teams with the same record. If there are more than two teams, it is purely based on SOS.
I dont think that is the case for the draft.  Think is is strictly SOS.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

If Giants decide to not draft a QB due to play of DeVito or some other reason and want to build around existing QB and they end up picking 8th or so, I think several prospects come into play:

1) Brock Bowers - he is Jeremy Shockey 2.0 without the baggage.  Given oft-injured Waller and mediocre athleticism of Bellinger, he slots right into being a productive starter.

2) Defensive Player - sorry but I don't see one this high at this stage, even Jared Verse from FSU.

3) WR - here is also where I see the Giants targeting.  With Harrison gone, I can see them taking Keon Coleman, Brian Thomas or Malik Nabers here.  Given play of both Robinson and Hyatt, adding that third WR weapon could make sense given strength of board.

3) OT Prospect - I do not believe the Giants are ready to love on from Neal so believe if Alt, Latham, etc are abailable, the Giants pass.

4) Trade back - this may be a very likely scenario given WR depth plus other positions like Guard where they can address later.  More picks the better for an oft injured team.