News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Has our OL had a metamorphosis?

Started by LennG, December 12, 2023, 05:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arodgers12

You guys facing Winston or Carr this week?

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: Trench on December 12, 2023, 08:08:29 PMThe O-line changed the moment Pugh was signed and inserted. He has brought the professionalism, leadership and stability many felt he would.

There was a particular run where Barkley ran right into a defender but the hole to the left was enormous last night, he just didn't see it. Pugh has likely had a major impact on JMS as well.

The bigger question is why did it take so long to recognize his need.

How did you reach that conclusion, Trench? Pugh has been atrocious and is currently one of the NFL's worst Guards, having allowed 5 sacks and 4 penalties in just 504 snaps.  His Will Hernandez and Shane Lemieux-like 47 PFF rating is an accurate depiction of his efforts.  Prior to MNF, the Giants actually gave up more sacks per game since inserting Pugh, including 8x, 5x, 9x, and 6x.  They've also rushed under 100 yards in 3 of his 6 starts; last week they rushed for 200+ yards off the strength of Tommy's 86 rushing yards, which were necessary as byproduct of poor interior blocking (he was running for his life).  The lines improvement is a mirage propagated by Tommy's performance.  His ability to avoid sacks in the pocket is the impetus for a zero sack performance against GB and the perceived OL gains.  In short, the Oline hasn't improved...the QB play has, which I believe is the geneses of this thread and the point Lenn was making.   

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on December 13, 2023, 06:45:50 AMHow did you reach that conclusion, Trench? Pugh has been atrocious and is currently one of the NFL's worst Guards, having allowed 5 sacks and 4 penalties in just 504 snaps.  His Will Hernandez and Shane Lemieux-like 47 PFF rating is an accurate depiction of his efforts.  Prior to MNF, the Giants actually gave up more sacks per game since inserting Pugh, including 8x, 5x, 9x, and 6x.  They've also rushed under 100 yards in 3 of his 6 starts; last week they rushed for 200+ yards of the strength of Tommy's 86 rushing yards, which were necessary as byproduct of poor interior blocking.  The lines improvement is a mirage propagated by Tommy's performance.  His ability to avoid sacks in the pocket is the impetus for a zero sack performance against GB and the perceived OL gains.  In short, the Oline hasn't improved...the QB play has, which I believe is the geneses of this thread and the point Lenn was making.   
=D>  =D>  =D>
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

andrew_nyGiants

This is supposed to be a progression of the offense lead by good consistent reads by the QB & receivers.

If they can minimize the OL substitution due to injuries moving forward, I believe we will see more positive Paisan progression moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

I view Pugh as a stop-gap signing that was made when we were desperate just to get an experienced body in there as we were ravaged by injuries and terrible play. Personally I don't think he has been anything to write home about, and in some games he has looked bad to me, but perhaps his familiarity with the organization and the fact that he is a veteran and maybe seen as something of a leader attracted them to him. Either way I'll be very surprised if he's a day one starter on this line in 2024.

I have never bought the notion that our O line has suddenly transformed into something it was not, just by happenstance when they switched QBs. We had folks making this claim when Tyrod was brought in too. The line is the same line. Different QBs bring different skill-sets to the table. The idea that a terrible line becomes suddenly decent overnight, and that metamorphosis just happens to coincidentally happen when a QB change is made, just doesn't ring true to me whatsoever.

Ed Vette

@MightyGiants what were the PFF team Oline grades for passing and for run blocking? And what were the grades by player? Thanks
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 13, 2023, 10:06:21 AM@MightyGiants what were the PFF team Oline grades for passing and for run blocking? And what were the grades by player? Thanks

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I think Carl Banks is on point when it comes to the biggest improvement of the offensive line.   It's important to consider (and I am unaware of stats to use) the difference between a failure of the O-line that leads to a free rusher and sacks/pressures that are a result of an engaged defender defeating their block. Free rushers are devastating to an offense (because of how quickly it happens), while pressure after defeating a block is more workable. 

Early in the season, there were far too many free rushers.  That was really disruptive.  Now you are not seeing the mental errors from the line and things are more effective.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 13, 2023, 10:09:42 AM

As I thought. Just Thomas with a very good grade and JMS with a decent grade. The rest were poor and gave up nine pressures combined. Tommy avoided a lot of sacks.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 13, 2023, 10:13:30 AMI think Carl Banks is on point when it comes to the biggest improvement of the offensive line.   It's important to consider (and I am unaware of stats to use) the difference between a failure of the O-line that leads to a free rusher and sacks/pressures that are a result of an engaged defender defeating their block. Free rushers are devastating to an offense (because of how quickly it happens), while pressure after defeating a block is more workable. 

Early in the season, there were far too many free rushers.  That was really disruptive.  Now you are not seeing the mental errors from the line and things are more effective.
One of the things JMS is good at is double teams and lateral movement off one block to another. Bellinger is disappointing but Saquon has become a pretty consistent blocker which was a fault early in his career.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 13, 2023, 10:15:52 AMAs I thought. Just Thomas with a very good grade and JMS with a decent grade. The rest were poor and gave up nine pressures combined. Tommy avoided a lot of sacks.
Ed: That was just for the one game, correct?  Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 13, 2023, 10:13:30 AMI think Carl Banks is on point when it comes to the biggest improvement of the offensive line.   It's important to consider (and I am unaware of stats to use) the difference between a failure of the O-line that leads to a free rusher and sacks/pressures that are a result of an engaged defender defeating their block. Free rushers are devastating to an offense (because of how quickly it happens), while pressure after defeating a block is more workable. 

Rich: So true. If you count just the number of free rushers then the OL has improved over time.

Again, though, we come back to... compare the last five teams we played to the first five.

This is why I believe the Giants need another EDGE (especially). You've got have have at least three or four these days because passing is more important than ever, so, therefore, pass-defense/pass-rushing is more important than ever.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Brederson had a beautiful pulling block on the first O snap of the game and then I don't think they ever went back to it the rest of the game. They might have I just didn't notice it.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 13, 2023, 10:28:10 AMEd: That was just for the one game, correct?  Bob

Yes but it's indicative of what's been prevalent all season. There is Andrew Thomas and then the rest who struggle.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin