News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Has our OL had a metamorphosis?

Started by LennG, December 12, 2023, 05:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nb587

I don't remember this but was Pugh drafted to be a tackle or guard?  I think tackle and I think its his best position. 

It seems that its hard to pinpoint the improvement of the OL to 1 thing.  The most important is the return of Thomas followed by the return of Schmidt.  But, bringing in Pugh helped and it's important to remember (I think) that he came without the benefit of training camp which is a big deal

Ed Vette

Quote from: nb587 on December 13, 2023, 10:40:03 AMI don't remember this but was Pugh drafted to be a tackle or guard?  I think tackle and I think its his best position. 

It seems that its hard to pinpoint the improvement of the OL to 1 thing.  The most important is the return of Thomas followed by the return of Schmidt.  But, bringing in Pugh helped and it's important to remember (I think) that he came without the benefit of training camp which is a big deal
Pugh was drafted to play RT. He gave up some sacks but was the most consistent since at that position. He had injury issues and I think it was Gettleman who gave up on him. He's had a solid if not spectacular career. His versatility and leadership have been his strengths.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 13, 2023, 11:02:03 AMPugh was drafted to play RT. He gave up some sacks but was the most consistent since at that position. He had injury issues and I think it was Gettleman who gave up on him. He's had a solid if not spectacular career. His versatility and leadership have been his strengths.
Ed: Wish I had your memory. Can you loan it to me for a few years or decades? lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Trench

Quote from: kingm56 on December 13, 2023, 06:45:50 AMHow did you reach that conclusion, Trench? Pugh has been atrocious and is currently one of the NFL's worst Guards, having allowed 5 sacks and 4 penalties in just 504 snaps.  His Will Hernandez and Shane Lemieux-like 47 PFF rating is an accurate depiction of his efforts.  Prior to MNF, the Giants actually gave up more sacks per game since inserting Pugh, including 8x, 5x, 9x, and 6x.  They've also rushed under 100 yards in 3 of his 6 starts; last week they rushed for 200+ yards off the strength of Tommy's 86 rushing yards, which were necessary as byproduct of poor interior blocking (he was running for his life).  The lines improvement is a mirage propagated by Tommy's performance.  His ability to avoid sacks in the pocket is the impetus for a zero sack performance against GB and the perceived OL gains.  In short, the Oline hasn't improved...the QB play has, which I believe is the geneses of this thread and the point Lenn was making.   

I don't view PFF as any sort of barometer whatsoever. All I know is when Pugh was inserted that line started playing better. Much much better. The QBs have had time to throw for the most part and we have seen our WR in fact are orettt decent and do get open. I believe oline play is so much more than grades and a lot of it is teamwork attitude and confidence. I believe Pugh has helped immensely on the intangible front.

Unless you feel Jones was the issue for the oline looking so poorly, there is no reason to believe the insertion of Pugh wasn't a game changer (also he is just now beginning to get his legs) as he didn't have a training camp

files58

To answer the thread's question, from what, bad to less bad? As mentioned they need three new starters. I watch SB take a handoff, and almost immediately say to no one in particular give the effing guy a chance. There are times in pass protection where you would think several of the 5 are wearing tutus. The sun rises in the East, and bad teams have bad OL's, good teams have good OL's.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Trench on December 13, 2023, 02:09:11 PMI don't view PFF as any sort of barometer whatsoever. All I know is when Pugh was inserted that line started playing better. Much much better. The QBs have had time to throw for the most part and we have seen our WR in fact are orettt decent and do get open. I believe oline play is so much more than grades and a lot of it is teamwork attitude and confidence. I believe Pugh has helped immensely on the intangible front.

Unless you feel Jones was the issue for the oline looking so poorly, there is no reason to believe the insertion of Pugh wasn't a game changer (also he is just now beginning to get his legs) as he didn't have a training camp

I can add that he's better than the guy(s) he replaced, or at least as "good."

To answer the question in the title, yes, there has been a metamorphosis in personnel, certainly, but I'm not if the same is true of the average talent level.

We started with an excellent LT, a question mark LG, a promising C, a question mark RG and an underperforming RT.  Sounds about like today's gaggle.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

EDjohnst1981

I think the answer is no.

Here's Dan Duggan from The Athletic:

"DeVito was pressured on 48.1 percent of his 27 dropbacks on Monday, so it's not as if the offensive line was a brick wall. For perspective, Jones was pressured on 45.5 percent of his dropbacks this season."

https://theathletic.com/5133112/2023/12/13/new-york-giants-tommy-devito-brock-purdy/?source=user_shared_article

So bit much difference to be fair, and Jones played far more dangerous defences.

Ed Vette

They did do a good job of sustaining blocks which did help Tommy maneuver and navigate through to make plays with his legs and arm. Even though they gave up pressure and they did have a few good pockets when he needed them.

I like that Daboll rewarded them with the game ball. Maybe some weight will be taken off their shoulders and a ray of sunshine peeks through their cloud. They needed the confidence.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin