News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Rumor: Bill Belichick done in New England

Started by brownelvis54, December 13, 2023, 02:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Report: Robert Kraft made decision to part ways with Bill Belichick after Week 10 loss to Colts

At a time when many believe the 24-year relationship between Patriots owner Robert Kraft and coach Bill Belichick will soon be ending, a new report indicates that the decision already has been made.

Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston, via Hayden Bird of Boston.com, said Monday that Kraft already made the decision to make a change after New England's Week 10 loss to the Colts in Frankfurt.

"When they came out of Germany, conversations I had that week made it very clear that a decision was made," Curran said. "They were going to play out the string, and at the end of the year, there would be a parting of the ways for a variety of reasons."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-robert-kraft-made-decision-to-part-ways-with-bill-belichick-after-week-10-loss-to-colts
The KING is in the building

madbadger

Stupid move. He should have tried to strip him of GM duties first. That man won six super bowls and appeared in three more. He deserves a little more grace than three seasons. We've been hot garbage since Mara canned Coughlin despite winning two. I hope the Pats misfortune lasts three times as long as ours has. Karma is a real bitch, and shame on those soft entitled Pats fans that have been calling the talk sports channels calling for his head. Shameful all the way around.

files58

Can there be a scenario where "Little Bill" comes HOME?

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on December 13, 2023, 02:41:37 PMStupid move. He should have tried to strip him of GM duties first. That man won six super bowls and appeared in three more. He deserves a little more grace than three seasons. We've been hot garbage since Mara canned Coughlin despite winning two. I hope the Pats misfortune lasts three times as long as ours has. Karma is a real bitch, and shame on those soft entitled Pats fans that have been calling the talk sports channels calling for his head. Shameful all the way around.

Here's the thing: Belichick is 71 and will turn 72 in April.

The oldest head coaches to win a Super Bowl were:

George Halas- 68 years and 331 days

Bruce Arians- 68 years and 127 days old

It's got to be tough to stay at the top of your game as you get into your 70s.  The hours are long, many of the coaches you know are retired or retiring, you have a huge age gap with your players, you constantly have to learn new things and adapt (not easy as you get older).

Frankly, while I consider Belichick the greatest coach in NFL history (I don't give all the credit to Brady I would be very surprised (shocked even) if Belichick could build another team and win another Super Bowl.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

SlotCorner

He's not going to take a reduced role, I don't think. He'll have teams lining up to hire him, and on his terms. Carolina, Bears, Chargers, Raiders will all be looking. Every one of them will at least have to make the phone call.

But his drafts have been terrible lately, I haven't paid close enough attention to his FA signings to say. But the roster, with the QB on a rookie deal no less, is awful.

brownelvis54

Bill Belichick hasn't offered many clues

The one time Belichick did share a clear vision of his long-term future, he didn't follow through on it.

In a two-part "A Football Life" episode focused on Belichick's 2009 season, he said he wouldn't be coaching past his 70th birthday.

"I won't be like Marv Levy and coaching in my 70s," Belichick said. "You won't have to worry about that."

Then he coached into his 70s. Belichick turned 71 in April.

"I wish I hadn't said that," Belichick told Dan Shaughnessy of The Boston Globe in 2022. "I was probably thinking of what I would feel like. Now, there's what I actually feel like, and those are two different things."

https://sports.yahoo.com/if-bill-belichick-is-done-in-new-england-what-comes-next-for-one-of-the-nfls-greats-164230974.html
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on December 13, 2023, 02:41:37 PMStupid move. He should have tried to strip him of GM duties first. That man won six super bowls and appeared in three more. He deserves a little more grace than three seasons. We've been hot garbage since Mara canned Coughlin despite winning two. I hope the Pats misfortune lasts three times as long as ours has. Karma is a real bitch, and shame on those soft entitled Pats fans that have been calling the talk sports channels calling for his head. Shameful all the way around.

100% agree, although we do the same thing here. People here wanted Daboll out after 4-5 weeks this season just after he won coach of the year. People were calling for Coughlin's head long before he was finally fired. People wanted Wink out earlier this year after loving him last year. And now on the flip side after just 4 starts with ok but unspectacular numbers people now think the Giants have a championship caliber QB, and posters who suggest the Giants should still draft a franchise QB prospect if they have the opportunity are viewed as insane, or worse.

I think all NFL fan bases have a what have you done for me lately, overreactive attitude myself.

Philosophers

BB needs to retire on his own with grace.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 13, 2023, 07:40:02 PM100% agree, although we do the same thing here. People here wanted Daboll out after 4-5 weeks this season just after he won coach of the year. People were calling for Coughlin's head long before he was finally fired. People wanted Wink out earlier this year after loving him last year. And now on the flip side after just 4 starts with ok but unspectacular numbers people now think the Giants have a championship caliber QB, and posters who suggest the Giants should still draft a franchise QB prospect if they have the opportunity are viewed as insane, or worse.

I think all NFL fan bases have a what have you done for me lately, overreactive attitude myself.

Imagine if we lived in a pot meet kettle world where the same people, calling for the heads of these accomplished professionals, were to observe these individuals at their own work. They turn a report in late. They deliver a product with nonconforming specifications. They provide less than stellar customer service. Now, imagine Coughlin, Belichick or anyone else who has been fired get to lick their chops on these unsuspecting characters and launch grenade after grenade of insults at them. "Hey you bum, my daughter could do better!" "They must have found you under a rock or something!" "You stink!!!" I'm sure a parody of this scenario has been acted out somewhere before. But, seriously, put yourself in a position of responsibility where you are working your tail off and have to listen to that stuff. To suggest it must test your self control and self confidence is an understatement of epic proportion.

Think before making such inflammatory comments. I'm guilty of doing it as a coach and have felt horrible afterward. I also apologized to every person I hurt by my words, which were the players, families, referee and the coach of the other team.

If this is the end of the line for Belichick, I would give him a standing ovation for his service in the NFL which dates back to the mid 1970s. A tremendous career which ranks with the best of all time. His Hall of Fame induction awaits him. It's too bad he will go in as the Patriots' head coach versus a Giant. But, as is the tradition, "Once a Giant, Always a Giant" and his time with the team, from 1979-1990, will always be considered one of the great contributions of any individual for this great flagship franchise.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 13, 2023, 07:40:02 PM100% agree, although we do the same thing here. People here wanted Daboll out after 4-5 weeks this season just after he won coach of the year. People were calling for Coughlin's head long before he was finally fired. People wanted Wink out earlier this year after loving him last year. And now on the flip side after just 4 starts with ok but unspectacular numbers people now think the Giants have a championship caliber QB, and posters who suggest the Giants should still draft a franchise QB prospect if they have the opportunity are viewed as insane, or worse.

Well is Dabs ever wins one, let alone six super bowls I'll save my wrath for those posters.

LennG

Who knows what Kraft is thinking? They will, without a doubt, draft one of the top QBs and do they want to start over with a new coach, QB et al. or keep BB and let him mentor the new kid?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

IF Belichick is done in NE, I could see him in a consulting type role.
I bet there are 31 teams that would love to pick that brain. It would keep him in the game but with less of a grind than being HC.
If the Pat's do indeed sever ties with BB, then they'll also be cutting ties with their DC,  which I believe is Steven Belichick. And Matt Patricia, and Judge. It would have to be a complete coaching overhaul.
Does this open the door for a Josh McDaniels return??
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

I'd say 99% chance he coaches somewhere. I don't think he's done with coaching. He is a competitive guy and wants the all time most coaching wins record. Shula is ahead of him by 28. He knows he can get there with a few solid seasons somewhere. As far as I know he has no significant health problems. No reason he can't go for another 4-5 years. He may only need three to get the record.

Also, on top of wanting the record, he doesn't strike me as a guy who is dying to retire. I don't see him standing on a front porch somewhere doing landscape painting as a hobby. He lives and breathes football. I think he'll try to coach (or at least be involved with a team in some way) until he basically can't anymore. Coughlin was sort of like that. I think Mara was hoping he could persuade him to retire (so it wouldn't look like he was firing him) and Coughlin was having none of it. I think Belichick is cut from a similar cough.