News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Defending Tommy DeVito Living With Parents

Started by squibber, December 13, 2023, 02:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

Yeah, He should get his own place. He will do much better with the ladies. Not everyone knows that in traditional Italian families, the children are expected to live with the parents until they get married.

Now if the parents were raised in Italy, the pull is much stronger. I came to America from Italy with my parents in 1956. They were definitely old world.  In 1975 I was a senior in college. We were sitting at the dinner table one day and I started to share my future plans after graduation.  I said I want to find a good job and get my own apartment.  As soon as I said apartment, they started yelling at me. My father raised his hand like he was going to slap me.

To them getting an apartment is a complete waste of money. People who live in apartments are "bums" that don't have ambition, just want to have a good time and don't want to grow up.

By the way, my mother's chicken cutlets were excellent but her beef cutlets were even better.

Bob In PA

Quote from: squibber on December 13, 2023, 02:58:26 PMTo them getting an apartment is a complete waste of money. People who live in apartments are "bums" that don't have ambition, just want to have a good time and don't want to grow up.
squib: Looks like you're a couple years older than I am.

Apartments were cheaper back then, especially as a percentage of income.

Seems the opposite today.

Those who STAY in the household are often "bums" that don't have ambition.

IMO, it's possible they were right at the time they said it, even if they're clearly wrong by today's.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

I was guessing he was living with his folks because practice squad pay ain't that great and it gave him a chance to save money.  Kid seems like he has some sense about him and realized he might not be a football player in a couple of years.

Ed Vette

If he winds up getting a starting role somewhere, he's going to take good care of his family.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

I always view the first generation born in America as _______-American as a bridge from one country to USA but after the first generation I see subsequent generations as American as they are immersed in American culture, dont speak the native language and may not have even visited the motherland.

If he is saving money, good for him.

kartanoman

Quote from: Philosophers on December 13, 2023, 07:38:22 PMI always view the first generation born in America as _______-American as a bridge from one country to USA but after the first generation I see subsequent generations as American as they are immersed in American culture, dont speak the native language and may not have even visited the motherland.

If he is saving money, good for him.

Look at it this way. Did he have plans to be the starting QB for the New York Football Giants when they signed him off the street? Like he was looking for houses with his real estate agent when interrupted by Daboll who told him to get his a$$ over to the stadium and suit up.

I think it's pretty obvious the family and friends are all in a state of shock, if not surprise, and he's just riding the wave and taking each day as it comes. If he has the ambition to become a QB in the NFL, it might make sense not to put down any roots just yet. There's no guarantee he'll even be on the Giants' roster next season so mom and dad probably don't mind doing his laundry in exchange for being seen on national TV.

Hey, that's how we did things back when I used to live in North Jersey 40+ years ago. I'm confident things haven't changed much.

Mangia!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Quote from: kartanoman on December 13, 2023, 08:23:07 PMLook at it this way. Did he have plans to be the starting QB for the New York Football Giants when they signed him off the street? Like he was looking for houses with his real estate agent when interrupted by Daboll who told him to get his a$$ over to the stadium and suit up.

I think it's pretty obvious the family and friends are all in a state of shock, if not surprise, and he's just riding the wave and taking each day as it comes. If he has the ambition to become a QB in the NFL, it might make sense not to put down any roots just yet. There's no guarantee he'll even be on the Giants' roster next season so mom and dad probably don't mind doing his laundry in exchange for being seen on national TV.

Hey, that's how we did things back when I used to live in North Jersey 40+ years ago. I'm confident things haven't changed much.

Mangia!

Peace!

I am not criticizing him.  Hope you know that.  Think it's smart what he's doing.

Painter

Why do we think he needs to be "defended". He's an adult not a child. He can do whatever he wants for whatever reason. He certainly doesn't need any help from us nor should we risk embarrassing him by suggesting otherwise.

Cheers!

BlueMoshik

He's not being attacked for it and doesn't need to be "defended", the media loves this part of the story like nothing I've seen in years.

kartanoman

Quote from: Philosophers on December 13, 2023, 08:28:20 PMI am not criticizing him.  Hope you know that.  Think it's smart what he's doing.

For the record, I could never imagine criticizing one of my favorite contributors on this space we call our Giant board. I apologize that you missed the intended humor, with a "North Jersey" twist to it (i.e. intended to sound slightly wise guy sarcastic but intended to be in good clean fun as if speaking to a friend).

This whole story is a wonderful shot in the arm for the team and for all of us. For me, personally, it has given me license to loosen my tie, so to speak, and be a little more playful and retrospective with my words. But please don't take them as an attack on you as they certainly were not intended for that purpose.

As for Tommy, he's living the dream right now. How awesome is that?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

spiderblue43

All I know is I'm making chicken cutlets this Sunday because of his mama. Considering all the low-brow stupidity many athletes bring to the table..Tommy's story is a breath of fresh air.

Mangia bene :yes:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Painter on December 13, 2023, 08:42:39 PMWhy do we think he needs to be "defended". He's an adult not a child. He can do whatever he wants for whatever reason. He certainly doesn't need any help from us nor should we risk embarrassing him by suggesting otherwise.

Cheers!

Totally agree. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: spiderblue43 on December 14, 2023, 08:55:56 AMAll I know is I'm making chicken cutlets this Sunday because of his mama. Considering all the low-brow stupidity many athletes bring to the table..Tommy's story is a breath of fresh air.

Mangia bene :yes:

In case you don't already have a recipe and protocol, this one is excellent, including how to make them without making a mess.  Includes a YouTube video.  This guy specializes in making New York Italian food.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BlueMoshik on December 14, 2023, 01:12:39 AMHe's not being attacked for it and doesn't need to be "defended", the media loves this part of the story like nothing I've seen in years.

Exactly. People find it endearing. I have not heard him mocked for it once by anyone. His whole story is a feel-good story (even if he ends up not amounting to much in the end), and it jives well with the holiday spirit etc.

kartanoman

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 14, 2023, 09:04:17 AMIn case you don't already have a recipe and protocol, this one is excellent, including how to make them without making a mess.  Includes a YouTube video.  This guy specializes in making New York Italian food.

To put it in proper perspective, my wife, who hasn't a hint of Italian in her (neither do I, for that matter), a week ago decided to try and make chicken cutlets for her first time. She did a decent job, at that! But that goes to show the type of impact this kid is having that our wives are also taking notice? Not since Eli Manning made his famous last-minute passes has my wife been that tuned in to the Giants.

DeVito-mania is taking on all kinds of life forms and amazing actions out there! Endearing indeed!

Peace!