News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is DeVito’s success a fluke or sustainable?

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2023, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"Top NFL Analysts weigh in."

I'm inclined to say he becomes a top notch backup because he doesn't have the long ball, but he can have much success as a starter in the right system. This is why we only saw one attempt to Hyatt on a Deep Post which fell short. Although I felt that if he set up properly he may have been able to lead him. I need to see that he can make those throws before endorsement. I think the Giants draft a QB with more of a cannon and see what happens. A couple of opportunities he didn't go for against GB were routes over 40 yards.

Still I have an open mind and you gotta love the kid and what he brings to the table.

https://www.bigblueview.com/platform/amp/2023/12/14/24000060/tommy-devitos-success-a-fluke-or-sustainable-top-nfl-analysts-weigh-in-ny-giants-nfl-draft
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

President Rick

high school clip looked like he threw 50 yards.  If so, he can do 60 now.  Accuracy/proper leading of WR is the key
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Doc16LT56

No QB can be successful behind this OL  /sarcasm/

ralphpal1

I also think it had to do with the rain, wind and game plan

Jclayton92

If you look at his scouting reports he isn't good with the long ball unless his mechanics are spot and he's able to set and then drive. Another thing that hurts him is the sweeping motion he does when he throws, he does it to add snap/velocity to his throws but unless he's in the right stance it can come out wobbly.

The issue is he is 25, so what you see is what you get likely. Not that it is a bad thing, because his age is likely benefitting him a ton right now in games, but as far as longterm growth not so much.

Jolly Blue Giant

He made a lot of nice plays while at Syracuse, and you can see that he can throw the long ball or put zip on an intermediate route. The downside, notice that the Orange are usually losing to whoever they're playing...which brings up the point of the mediocrity of the team around him.

He was badly injured in 2020 while playing against winless Duke (Duke won that game) and he was replaced by Rex Culpepper. Because of the injury, he only played 4 games in 2020 and only 3 games in 2021. He was quite dynamic before the leg injury. To answer the original question...I believe it is sustainable barring injury

If you want to watch an in-depth breakdown of him at Illinois by Bobby Skinner

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

andrew_nyGiants

I don't think it's a fluke, but the level of "success" is a bit exaggerated.

This is a fun story featuring a good kid.

Best case scenario for him is he'll compete for a roster spot at #2 next season.

The Giants are still in need of a long term starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Bob In PA

If he wins the following numbers of the remaining games this year...

zero -  it was just a fluke.
one -  probably a fluke, depending on which one (beating the Eagles scrubs doesn't count).
two -  even if neither win is against Philly he's still likely good enough for the NFL somewhere, in some capacity.
three - if he beats the Eagles in a game that really has meaning, same as for two wins.
four -  the team will carry him off the field on their shoulders even if they don't get into the playoffs.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 14, 2023, 12:51:48 PMPost of the month. If not year.

Seeing how he responds after a very bad game will be important.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 14, 2023, 12:06:58 PMIf you look at his scouting reports he isn't good with the long ball unless his mechanics are spot and he's able to set and then drive. Another thing that hurts him is the sweeping motion he does when he throws, he does it to add snap/velocity to his throws but unless he's in the right stance it can come out wobbly.

The issue is he is 25, so what you see is what you get likely. Not that it is a bad thing, because his age is likely benefitting him a ton right now in games, but as far as longterm growth not so much.

I get it...as apposed to all those QBs who can throw long falling backwards who have not set their feet and do not step into the throw

all those guys like uhhhhh, and uhhhhhhh, and dont forget about duhhhhhh
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 14, 2023, 12:58:52 PMIf he wins the following numbers of the remaining games this year...

zero -  it was just a fluke.
one -  probably a fluke, depending on which one (beating the Eagles scrubs doesn't count).
two -  if neither win is against Philly he's still likely good enough for the NFL somewhere, in some capacity.
three - if he beats the Eagles in a game that really has meaning, same as for two wins.
four -  the team will carry him off the field on their shoulders even if they don't get into the playoffs.

Bob

Bob

I disagree entirely. Yes, he may well end up being a 'fluke' but he has already won 2 games, a lot more than any other QB on the team. WHY is that? Are teams not prepared for him?
He is a real unknown but he also has no experience. Maybe if he were in his third year as a backup and then entered and did what he has done, what would you say then?
If he proceeds to lose the remaining games then he was a fluke--I hardly doubt it. In reality, looking at our schedule, no one really expected us to win any more games starting with GB yet we did. Was that a fluke win? He pulled an Eli Manning, drove the team sown the field with less than 2 minutes left, and that, my friend, was no fluke.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 14, 2023, 01:09:18 PMI get it...as apposed to all those QBs who can throw long falling backwards who have not set their feet and do not step into the throw

In other words, he can improvise, adapt and overcome. He isn't Clint Eastwood and this isn't Heartbreak Ridge, although playing the Eagles might not be far from it.

The kid is making the most out of his opportunity and I trust he will continue to do so. As far as things go, he's preparing for the Saints, and the New Orleans Superdome (Is it still super?), so I'm sure he isn't interested in whether he can throw the ball 60 yards unless the play is designed for him to do just that.

When it is all said and done, he will have accomplished something most free agent and lower draft pick quarterbacks will never get the opportunity to do, much less be successful at it. Whether or not that translates as an opportunity to become a backup quarterback somewhere remains to be seen. But he will go down in NFL history for doing what he has been doing and is continuing to do this season.

In the pre-season of 2010, an undrafted kid out of UMass stepped onto the field and caught three touchdowns in dramatic form against the Jets which left everyone going "Wow, who is this kid?" A year later, he would be dancing the salsa in the end zone during the Super Bowl. Victor Cruz, Jersey guy, took advantage of his opportunity with the Giants and came out of it a star and a Super Bowl Champion.

Before him, another Jersey guy had his own story which ended with a catch on his helmet, at the most critical point of the season, which pumped new life into his team which went on to win the most unlikely Super Bowl for the ages. David Tyree's famous catch was, for him, part of a grander plan tied into his faith which helped turned his life around when it was spinning out of control.

Now, Tommy DeVito, the latest of the Jersey guy longshots, now gets his opportunity to write his story into Giant lore.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

BluesCruz

Hes no fluke
He has in his words "been playing this game for a long time"

His field vision, pocket mobility, leadership skills, accuracy, ball placement are all world class

If he runs the table and keeps adding to his "game" he should be and likely will be the starter by October next year.  Jones may get a few starts but we all know how that goes.

OR The Giants find a willing trade partner for Jones

Behind a great Oline and with aa dynamic RB and WRs Jones should do pretty well- thats not us
Also the trade partner needs to be a veteran team as Jones is not very dynamic personality wise.  No one is going to run through a brick wall for Dan Jones.  For Tommy they bend over backwards.

DeVito has a confidence that is rare. Telling Barkley after the fumble - "Dont worry we have got this" was classic and inspiring.  Next time Barkey trips he should roll onto his shoulder in the air to prevent landing on the ball.  Was a weird play
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 14, 2023, 01:09:18 PMI get it...as apposed to all those QBs who can throw long falling backwards who have not set their feet and do not step into the throw

What are you even talking about? Did you actually reread what you wrote before posting?

I know you have this uber man crush on Devito, good, great for you, but this site is for the "most informed" Giants fans, and I was simply posting what some of his faults were mechanics wise that are on any and every scouting website that would likely inform a lot of people here as to his mechanics.

So stop getting so emotional, we get you're head over heels but some of us actually like facts and information about our players and not just weird conspiracies. If you just want to man crush for 7 threads go to Twitter.