News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is DeVito’s success a fluke or sustainable?

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2023, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 14, 2023, 03:09:08 PMWhat are you even talking about? Did you actually reread what you wrote before posting?

I know you have this uber man crush on Devito, good, great for you, but this site is for the "most informed" Giants fans, and I was simply posting what some of his faults were mechanics wise that are on any and every scouting website that would likely inform a lot of people here as to his mechanics.

So stop getting so emotional, we get you're head over heels but some of us actually like facts and information about our players and not just weird conspiracies. If you just want to man crush for 7 threads go to Twitter.

My apologies my friend, and I hope we are.
I just dont get the whole Tommy cant throw deep thing

Danny cant or wont throw deep- Danny cant not Tommy.....Tommy can (if he is not falling down as he whips it) Only Mahommes can do that falling down side arm thing.

No one can accurately throw deep without stepping into the throw- thats all I meant

All man love aside   no emotions involved. I just feel the kid can make all the throws
A lot of fans seem to think this is a temporary illusion, a Linsanity
I dont think so
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Philosophers

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 14, 2023, 03:23:19 PMMy apologies my friend, and I hope we are.
I just dont get the whole Tommy cant throw deep thing

Danny cant or wont throw deep- Danny cant not Tommy.....Tommy can (if he is not falling down as he whips it) Only Mahommes can do that falling down side arm thing.

No one can accurately throw deep without stepping into the throw- thats all I meant

All man love aside   no emotions involved. I just feel the kid can make all the throws
A lot of fans seem to think this is a temporary illusion, a Linsanity
I dont think so

The number of games is too few to be this confident that is the real deal.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on December 14, 2023, 04:28:58 PMThe number of games is too few to be this confident that is the real deal.

A number of people I listen to, including Bob Papa, say that it usually takes teams 4 games to get enough film to figure out what a QB does well or not (remember when some folks were wondering why the Giants didnt sign Josh Dobbs?)?

The next round of tests will be more telling.

Really not sure what they have revealed about Devito with the offense they are running.  Daboll/Kafka have done a good job of bringing him along as he has taken 1st string snaps.

Painter

It's far too early-like way way- to even pose such a question. I didn't realize that we were at such loose ends. If only we could simply calm down, get a grip, and stash the rash. Yikes!

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Right now the Tommy DeVito story is still in Mike White mode. He's done very well relative to expectations but he has yet to genuinely impressive on a legitimately absolute basis. Is the latter coming? Maybe, Possibly. I don't know. It might, but it hasn't yet. I tend to doubt it will get dramatically better than what we have already seen, but I'm not going to say that for sure

The way he has played to this point suggests he is likely worthy of being a game managing NFL backup, and perhaps a good to very good one. But if he has what it takes to be a high level starter, I don't feel we have seen that yet. And I'm talking both numbers and eye test with that statement.

I am happy to remain open minded and continue to gather data. But so far the data points towards quality backup, not high level starter.

GloryDays

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 14, 2023, 11:41:24 AMNo QB can be successful behind this OL  /sarcasm/

The O line has improved, you can't deny that!

Jolly Blue Giant

Hard to know if the OL is improving, or Devito just has a superb internal sense when the line is breaking down and is very good at scatting out of trouble. He was always elusive in college and seems to be very aware of what's going on around him (like he has eyes in the back of his head) and having an escape route planned out...without giving up on watching and waiting for plays to unfold. You can't teach that...that's just instinct. Not saying he's the second coming of Mahommes, just saying that is his strength and time will tell how well he holds up once defenses figure out how to target any weaknesses in his game, and you can bet, coaches are studying every move in his past to figure out any weak spots
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

madbadger

Let me put it to you this way. Jones is a dead man walking but I feel the Giants should still move heaven and earth to get their guy in this draft. He's been a wonderful story for a fan base in desperate need of some hope but he isn't it. I could see him hanging around as a backup for a long time though. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 14, 2023, 09:47:05 PMHard to know if the OL is improving, or Devito just has a superb internal sense when the line is breaking down and is very good at scatting out of trouble. He was always elusive in college and seems to be very aware of what's going on around him (like he has eyes in the back of his head) and having an escape route planned out...without giving up on watching and waiting for plays to unfold. You can't teach that...that's just instinct. Not saying he's the second coming of Mahommes, just saying that is his strength and time will tell how well he holds up once defenses figure out how to target any weaknesses in his game, and you can bet, coaches are studying every move in his past to figure out any weak spots
Do you think Daboll held TD back from running as a precaution until Tyrod came back? He played duck and cover before this past game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: madbadger on December 14, 2023, 10:01:04 PMLet me put it to you this way. Jones is a dead man walking but I feel the Giants should still move heaven and earth to get their guy in this draft. He's been a wonderful story for a fan base in desperate need of some hope but he isn't it. I could see him hanging around as a backup for a long time though. 
Almost immediately both Taylor and DeVito made the Giants offense look better than what it was with Jones.

Torus34

Mr. Thomas DeVito has managed, in four starts, to awaken the moribund New Jersey Giants. The Giant fans have been able to watch the last three games without cringing and pinning their hopes on the draft.

In two days the team will go up against the Saints in an away game. The stats, averaged for the season to date, cast a dark shadow, tinted 6 shades of gray, over the Giant's chances of a win.

But if we look at both team's stats for their last three games, a different picture appears.

This poor old country mouse will be watching come Sunday.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on December 14, 2023, 10:01:04 PMLet me put it to you this way. Jones is a dead man walking but I feel the Giants should still move heaven and earth to get their guy in this draft. He's been a wonderful story for a fan base in desperate need of some hope but he isn't it. I could see him hanging around as a backup for a long time though. 

I'm with you.

Let's look at the last year of his life. Kid goes from being a 5 or 6 year college QB who was relatively undistinguished to being an UDFA to having an interesting preseason that turned heads to getting on the Giants' PS to being Taylor's backup and then to being the starter (due to no other options) and then literally making the most of that opportunity to this point. He ignited an otherwise dour, miserable fan base and has brought holiday cheer and excitement to everyone. On national television, in prime time, he had his best game yet. People have fallen in love with him and his family. It's been a great, fun, uplifting story. One way or another, the team is suddenly winning. He has played within himself (similar to the Jones gameplans of 2022). He has taken very good care of the football, especially for a rookie and especially given how often he has been sacked. He is starting to prove that he is "dependable", and I think it's fair to say he's tough (kid takes a ton of hits and unlike others doesn't get flustered and start checking it down and making mistakes), and I have no reason to think he's not smart. He seems to fit all three boxes.

Is he very talented though, like to the point where I feel he is a franchise QB? Personally, I don't think so. I'm happy to remain open-minded and re-evaluate after the season but I don't think that's what we're dealing with here. And that is not intended to be any sort of put-down. What I think we do have is a way better than expected, great find of a QB who appears to be more than capable of being a quality backup (in the game manager mold) for us for a long time and might have the upside to be a borderline starter a la Minshew/Mayfield. That's where I stand now myself. If other fans think he's the next Tom Brady, that is their prerogative, and they should go ahead and run with that if they so choose. No matter what, it has been a great story to this point, and I'm now actually looking forward to watching Giants games again.

kingm56

Quote from: GloryDays on December 14, 2023, 08:27:55 PMThe O line has improved, you can't deny that!

Don't you find it odd the perceived O-line improvement coincides with a QB change?  I say perceived because the objectionable data suggest the line actually got worse, having allowed 8, 5, 9 and 6 sacks prior to last week's game.  Pressures have remained steady at 28% of passing downs.  Last week the pressures were on par with the average; yet, GB produced no sacks as a byproduct of some slick moves (in the pocket) by DeVito.  How many sure sacks did he avoid in the pocket...5?

Speaking of DeVito, I like his grit, mobility, and quick decision making; however, he has some tangible physical limitation that may prevent him from becoming a top-tier QB.  Regardless, I typically reserve judgement on QBs until they've started at least 20 games; my research indicates all QB demonstrate their skill-sets between games 23 – 30.  So, I'll continue to watch with a hopeful attitude that DeVito morphs into a Tony Romo like story.  Having said that, I do think his play has been inflated by a fan-base desperate for solid QB play, which is why some were fooled by DJ last season.  Fundamentally, if the Giants have a chance to draft a QB in '24, they should; retain Tommy as backup and release DJ in '25. 

DaveBrown74

Those who are trying to argue that the line has suddenly shape-shifted into a good line, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the QB changes (even though the supposed metamorphosis has suddenly occurred at precisely the same time that the QB changes have happened) should, if they really believe in what they're claiming, agree that if/when Jones goes back in as the starter, line play can no longer be a valid excuse if he doesn't play well.

It can't be that the line was terrible the whole time Jones was QB, then it suddenly became good for the stretch of games that Taylor/DeVito were the QBs, and then it reverted back to being awful exactly when Jones came back in. Even the most fanciful, confirmation-biased person has to see how ridiculous that sounds.

aBladeOfBlue

I tought his success were unsustainable. But........it was before I saw the breakdown of the Hodgins TD.

We all saw the great throw on the run, but how about :
  -going through his progression.
  -evading the rush.
  -and like i said, making a throw right on the money, where only hodgins could have his hands on it.

Now I think it's sustainable. He does what Daboll ask of his QB's, do not make dangerous (stupid) throws. As long as he trusts the coaching staff, the coaching staff will continue to trust him.

Last observation from the Packers game, he threw the ball away. Nothing was there, he threw it away. He plays like a mature QB.