News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is DeVito’s success a fluke or sustainable?

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2023, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: TDToomer on December 17, 2023, 09:18:55 PMThank you! I am tired of fans coming up with ridiculous plans to fake injury players to an IR or refuse to active healthy players. Jones will be on the opening day roster period and at worst be PUP to start the season.
ACL recovery is about a year. Best case scenario for Jones is to be on the field sometime in October. And usually back to normal quality usually a year after that. In any case he will be diminished. The Giants need a QB.

TONKA56

Any backup quarterback on this team will get ample opportunities to take reps with the ones. Lucky them.

Jclayton92

Quote from: TDToomer on December 17, 2023, 09:18:55 PMThank you! I am tired of fans coming up with ridiculous plans to fake injury players to an IR or refuse to active healthy players. Jones will be on the opening day roster period and at worst be PUP to start the season.
Who said anything about faking injuries? Jones had surgery like 20 days ago and isn't healthy currently so he would be on either pup or IR depending on when they would designated it... which would leave just Devito on the active roster.

All i was saying is that you don't have to rush Jones back if you have Devito and a Rookie on the active roster. I was replying to Dave and he understood it by his response and yet you added a few assumptions along the way.

TDToomer

Quote from: katkavage on December 17, 2023, 09:39:38 PMACL recovery is about a year. Best case scenario for Jones is to be on the field sometime in October. And usually back to normal quality usually a year after that. In any case he will be diminished. The Giants need a QB.

Plenty players have made it back from an ACL in under a year. Kyler Murray for instance.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

ACL surgery is now a 9 month recovery time,  not 1 year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 18, 2023, 08:55:05 AMACL surgery is now a 9 month recovery time,  not 1 year.

Yeah I read 8-10 months. Schoen was clear that some patients rehab faster than others. But it's correct that it's no longer an automatic full year.

Even if Jones is "cleared" in time for week one, based on our recent experiences with Barkley, Martinez etc and their ability to be at the top of their games 9-12 months after the surgery, I'm not sure I see the Giants starting him week one. But we'll see. I have no idea.

Ed Vette

Has it been reported that the injury was isolated to just the ACL or was the meniscus or other parts involved. That's going to determine the length of recovery.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: TDToomer on December 18, 2023, 08:35:33 AMPlenty players have made it back from an ACL in under a year. Kyler Murray for instance.
They are cleared to play, yes but rarely do they exhibit top form for almost another year. And Jones top form hasn't been very top to start with. He will be back because the Giants want some return on their money. Based on his injury history and mediocre performance they must bring in another QB.

kingm56

Quote from: katkavage on December 18, 2023, 10:32:05 AMThey are cleared to play, yes but rarely do they exhibit top form for almost another year. And Jones top form hasn't been very top to start with. He will be back because the Giants want some return on their money. Based on his injury history and mediocre performance they must bring in another QB.

Actually, that's not true.  Modern surgical techniques have changed that paradigm. Brady and Bree's were MVPs the year following their ACL tears.  Cook and Peterson had MVP-type seasons too.  It's no longer 2-year recovery. 

katkavage

Quote from: kingm56 on December 18, 2023, 10:54:07 AMActually, that's not true.  Modern surgical techniques have changed that paradigm. Brady and Bree's were MVPs the year following their ACL tears.  Cook and Peterson had MVP-type seasons too.  It's no longer 2-year recovery. 
Oh if only Danny had a modicum of Brady or Brees talent I'd feel better about his prospects.

TDToomer

Seems like there is so much misinformation on this thread regarding ACL recovery times and return to peak performance.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on December 18, 2023, 01:29:35 PMSeems like there is so much misinformation on this thread regarding ACL recovery times and return to peak performance.

Thankfully, one needs a medical degree to actually practice medicine. Imagine if anyone with an opinion who thinks he knows what he's talking about despite receiving zero formal training could be a doctor. Pretty scary thought, as we know how many of those types are out there!

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 18, 2023, 09:00:08 AMYeah I read 8-10 months. Schoen was clear that some patients rehab faster than others. But it's correct that it's no longer an automatic full year.

Even if Jones is "cleared" in time for week one, based on our recent experiences with Barkley, Martinez etc and their ability to be at the top of their games 9-12 months after the surgery, I'm not sure I see the Giants starting him week one. But we'll see. I have no idea.

Why would you want him back at all. He has become difficult to watch
Really Really Bad QB
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Crash and Burn. Maybe he should had his mind on Football instead of all the distractions. He clearly lost his mojo.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/25/sports/giants-bench-tommy-devito-for-tyrod-taylor-against-eagles/amp/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin