News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants have 9 losing seasons out of the past 11

Started by MightyGiants, December 18, 2023, 09:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It's not an enviable record by any measure. 

2012 to 2023

GMs -  Jerry Reese - 2017 - Dave Gettleman - 2021- Joe Schoen

HCs-  Tom Coughlin - 2015 - Ben McAdoo - 2017 - Pat Shurmur - 2019 - Joe Judge - 2021 - Brian Daboll

QBs- Eli Manning - 2018/201 - Daniel Jones (ended the season on IR 2021 and 2023)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

drewsg

It's not a surprise that this goes hand in hand with the OL falling off.

It fell off under Jerry Reese. Gettlemen couldn't fix it, though coincidentally, he's given us our best offensive lineman since Chris Snee. Most of Schoen's pieces haven't panned out either. When you couple this with average *at best* QB play, it's no wonder why we can't win any games unless the schedule is super easy. Move up to grab a QB. Use R2 picks for OL and I think that would help. The defense is fine, they just need help from complimentary football.

MightyGiants

Quote from: drewsg on December 18, 2023, 10:05:53 AMIt's not a surprise that this goes hand in hand with the OL falling off.

It fell off under Jerry Reese. Gettlemen couldn't fix it, though coincidentally, he's given us our best offensive lineman since Chris Snee. Most of Schoen's pieces haven't panned out either. When you couple this with average *at best* QB play, it's no wonder why we can't win any games unless the schedule is super easy. Move up to grab a QB. Use R2 picks for OL and I think that would help. The defense is fine, they just need help from complimentary football.

It's not from lack of trying, in terms of drafting:

4   James Brewer   117   T

4   Brandon Mosley   131   T
6   Matt McCants   201   T

1   Justin Pugh   19   T
7   Eric Herman   225   OL

2   Weston Richburg   43   OL

1   Ereck Flowers   9   T
7   Bobby Hart   226   G

None

2017   6   Adam Bisnowaty   200   T   

2   Will Hernandez   34   G

2019   7   George Asafo-Adjei   232   T   

1   Andrew Thomas
3   Matt Peart   99   T
5   Shane Lemieux   150   G

None

1   Evan Neal   7   OL   
3   Joshua Ezeudu   67   OL
5   Marcus McKethan   173   OL

2   John Michael Schmitz   57   OL
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Quote from: drewsg on December 18, 2023, 10:05:53 AMIt's not a surprise that this goes hand in hand with the OL falling off.

Not sure how we can say the defense is fine?  The Saints moved the ball at will in the 2nd half yesterday.  They do well and put up big numbers against lousy teams.  Otherwise, they have been pretty terrible.

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 18, 2023, 10:22:54 AMIt's not from lack of trying, in terms of drafting:

4   James Brewer   117   T

4   Brandon Mosley   131   T
6   Matt McCants   201   T

1   Justin Pugh   19   T
7   Eric Herman   225   OL

2   Weston Richburg   43   OL

1   Ereck Flowers   9   T
7   Bobby Hart   226   G

None

2017   6   Adam Bisnowaty   200   T   

2   Will Hernandez   34   G

2019   7   George Asafo-Adjei   232   T   

1   Andrew Thomas
3   Matt Peart   99   T
5   Shane Lemieux   150   G

None

1   Evan Neal   7   OL   
3   Joshua Ezeudu   67   OL
5   Marcus McKethan   173   OL

2   John Michael Schmitz   57   OL
I remember when people on here felt that Will Hernandez was ALMOST as good as Quinton Nelson and to get him in the 2nd round was a steal.  Yeah, and I am almost as good as Quinton Nelson, too.

Giantleap56

At what point do people start questioning the coaching. The way I see it is the that the OL is probably the part football that it is most imperative that they work as a team. It seems to me the coaching is absolutely the problem here. I have seen regression and I have seen the OL play above average. Which leads me to believe that there is a consistency problem and that to me is coaching. The lack of building off good performances only to fall flat in their faces time and again. The Giants need to get better coaching. Dump Kafka and get the OL coach from SF to be the OC. To me that's the disconnect Kafka and Johnson. I still don't think Daboll is a good coach outside of the first 6-7 games to his Giants career he has been a disaster. He can't even come up with a plan to compete vs division rivals.

We need a better plan for the OL. I hate to say this but the Giants do not have an identity. That is usually an extension of the coaches.

Ed Vette

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 10:23:17 AMNot sure how we can say the defense is fine?  The Saints moved the ball at will in the 2nd half yesterday.  They do well and put up big numbers against lousy teams.  Otherwise, they have been pretty terrible.
Wink called a lousy game. No pressure on a QB who folds under it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 10:25:15 AMI remember when people on here felt that Will Hernandez was ALMOST as good as Quinton Nelson and to get him in the 2nd round was a steal.  Yeah, and I am almost as good as Quinton Nelson, too.
When he was drafted he looked like a great pickup. 20-20 hindsight
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

Gilbride told them this in late 2012 and was ignored then fired after 2013.  Flaherty said the same and was fired.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 11:27:36 AMWhen he was drafted he looked like a great pickup. 20-20 hindsight
The Ramses Barden of Guards

Ed Vette

Quote from: Giantleap56 on December 18, 2023, 11:24:10 AMAt what point do people start questioning the coaching. The way I see it is the that the OL is probably the part football that it is most imperative that they work as a team. It seems to me the coaching is absolutely the problem here. I have seen regression and I have seen the OL play above average. Which leads me to believe that there is a consistency problem and that to me is coaching. The lack of building off good performances only to fall flat in their faces time and again. The Giants need to get better coaching. Dump Kafka and get the OL coach from SF to be the OC. To me that's the disconnect Kafka and Johnson. I still don't think Daboll is a good coach outside of the first 6-7 games to his Giants career he has been a disaster. He can't even come up with a plan to compete vs division rivals.

We need a better plan for the OL. I hate to say this but the Giants do not have an identity. That is usually an extension of the coaches.
You make a lot of sense. I was thinking about Tim Coughlin's attention to detail and he hammered it into his coaches and players. At some point they have to look at Daboll who's an excellent OC and QB mentor but is he a Peter Principal?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 18, 2023, 11:29:52 AMThe Ramses Barden of Guards
You don't get a steak dinner. You had to call it then. ;)
RIP JimV
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

files58

Let's throw a a little gasoline on the pyre. I've been a fan since 1965. Since then their record is 424-481 with 5 ties. That's a 46% winning percentage. They have been a historically losing franchise. I would like to see a large group of us in a meeting with John Mara, Pat Hanlon, Schoen and Daboll. Schoen and Daboll I would leave alone. They are their to listen and observe. However I'd RIP into Mara, and Hanlon starting with those statistics, then adding the financial rip-off they put on the fans in attendance(ticket price, seat license, parking, food, merchandise) while putting forth a consistently inferior product. Despite the four trophies numbers don't lie. Why Hanlon? I can't stand people that paint a rosy picture, it's sunny during a blizzard, while knowing the truth. I know it's PR, but you know what you can do with it. I'd start it like this. John, every one in this room has at least one thing in common, we love the Giants. Call it a family, so this is a family dinner. Then I'd RIP into them with the above. At the end I'd ask John to pass the mashed potatoes.

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on December 18, 2023, 03:32:05 PMLet's throw a a little gasoline on the pyre. I've been a fan since 1965. Since then their record is 424-481 with 5 ties. That's a 46% winning percentage. They have been a historically losing franchise. I would like to see a large group of us in a meeting with John Mara, Pat Hanlon, Schoen and Daboll. Schoen and Daboll I would leave alone. They are their to listen and observe. However I'd RIP into Mara, and Hanlon starting with those statistics, then adding the financial rip-off they put on the fans in attendance(ticket price, seat license, parking, food, merchandise) while putting forth a consistently inferior product. Despite the four trophies numbers don't lie. Why Hanlon? I can't stand people that paint a rosy picture, it's sunny during a blizzard, while knowing the truth. I know it's PR, but you know what you can do with it. I'd start it like this. John, every one in this room has at least one thing in common, we love the Giants. Call it a family, so this is a family dinner. Then I'd RIP into them with the above. At the end I'd ask John to pass the mashed potatoes.

20. John Mara, New York Giants: 138-157-1 (.468)

Owner since: Oct. 26, 2005

Playoff record: 9-5 (2-0 in Super Bowls)

Coach inherited: Tom Coughlin

Coaches hired: Ben McAdoo (13-15), Pat Shurmur (9-23), Joe Judge (10-23), Brian Daboll (13-15-1)

The Mara name is legendary in the NFL, but the franchise's trajectory since Hall of Famer Wellington Mara merits some scrutiny.

With Coughlin already in place, the Giants won two Super Bowls in the first six seasons after John Mara took over for his father. The team ranks 27th in winning percentage since that second Super Bowl victory following the 2011 season. The Giants' 82-123-1 (.400) record over that span outranks the records for the Commanders, Raiders, Jets, Browns and Jaguars. The Lions recently overtook the Giants since 2012.

https://theathletic.com/5115078/2023/12/08/nfl-owners-ranking-32-teams/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

John is like his father. Wellington was revered, but after the success in the early NFL days he was a pathetic owner. He let the game pass him by. Always too conservative. Nepotism also did them in. It took an intervention to get them back to winning with George Young. Coughlin is part of the Parcells/Young tree. Since then, John Mara has been an abysmal owner, making bad hire after bad hire. I mean, who hires Joe Judge?