News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DeVito to start again XMas Day

Started by Ed Vette, December 18, 2023, 09:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 18, 2023, 11:12:45 AMI look at it differently. I think Tommy's a tough kid. He knows he's up against it. Daboll knows he's up against it. I think Daboll wants to see how Tommy functions in harsh conditions.

I don't see any point in starting Tyrod. He has nothing to offer the team outside of an injury to Tommy the remainder of the season.

Tommy's mindset seems to be the opposite of Danny's. One looks to push the ball downfield, the other looks to get rid of it quickly to his closest outlet. Neither have very good pocket awareness and clocks.

I kinda wonder if Tommy heard the fans' gripes about Danny not throwing the ball deep and decided he would make sure to look downfield for long passes.
Tim, it's in their game plan. It's in the game calls too.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 11:15:57 AMBased on some of his terrible misses the past few games.  I do not think he can execute a consistent short game. 
Until yesterday he had a good completion percentage and I don't recall many swing passes and flats but I do see some poor execution by the receivers and in blocking those swings and screens.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 11:20:18 AMUntil yesterday he had a good completion percentage and I don't recall many swing passes and flats but I do see some poor execution by the receivers and in blocking those swings and screens.
He had some bad easy misses on Monday against the Packers.  Had some yesterday, as well.  Yes, receivers dropped a few too.  Hyatt has at least 3 the last 2 weeks.

T200

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 11:13:37 AMyes, "accepting".  As in, you have resigned yourself to an 0-1 or 0-whatever start?
No, I don't. I don't see how that can be reasonably determined one way or another... way too many variables to hazard a guess.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 11:26:21 AMHe had some bad easy misses on Monday against the Packers.  Had some yesterday, as well.  Yes, receivers dropped a few too.  Hyatt has at least 3 the last 2 weeks.
He's had several drops this season. I'm surprised. Hopefully over the shoulder isn't his only forte.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 11:18:23 AMTim, it's in their game plan. It's in the game calls too.
I agree. Throwing short pass after short pass doesn't allow the coaches and team to see what they have in their deep threats. I think the coaching staff's priority is for him to look deep first. To your point, he has to learn to get through his progressions and take the underneath stuff when his primary read is not available. He's still learning... and I'm OK with letting him get live experience. What I would have a problem with is someone else, like Taylor, taking live snaps from him. It helps no one.

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 18, 2023, 11:32:47 AMI agree. Throwing short pass after short pass doesn't allow the coaches and team to see what they have in their deep threats. I think the coaching staff's priority is for him to look deep first. To your point, he has to learn to get through his progressions and take the underneath stuff when his primary read is not available. He's still learning... and I'm OK with letting him get live experience. What I would have a problem with is someone else, like Taylor, taking live snaps from him. It helps no one.
They have to call some of them. Call some crossing routes and slants first read too then a one read checkdown. Not all game but to set up other plays. The problem has been no run game and the poor pass protection. Sure anyone can cherry pick the DeVito bad plays but give the guy a break.

Something stuck with me that Daboll said at least twice. "Let's see how he handles adversity". To paraphrase

I wonder if they set him up?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

SlotCorner

Tyrod is out after this year, regardless. The next three games are DeVito's tryout for whether he is the main backup or back to the practice squad.

The Giants sign a vet to compete in camp and either him or DeVito start the first four games, since DJ starts on PUP. The drafted rookie plays the last three games.

Laying this out, what's depressing of course is that next year will be another wasted season unless we catch lightning in a bottle, like Stroud.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 11:38:09 AMThey have to call some of them. Call some crossing routes and slants first read too then a one read checkdown. Not all game but to set up other plays. The problem has been no run game and the poor pass protection. Sure anyone can cherry pick the DeVito bad plays but give the guy a break.

Something stuck with me that Daboll said at least twice. "Let's see how he handles adversity". To paraphrase

I wonder if they set him up?
Of course they have to call them. You know I have been calling out the play calling pretty much all season. Who knows WTF they think when they come up with their game plans.

As far as setting him up for failure, I don't think they deliberately created a game plan to make it more difficult for him. I mean, it's the Giants after all. Just snap the damn ball and he's running for his life, regardless of the play.

I believe it was more of the coach knowing his team, specifically the inability to provide any of his QBs time in the pocket. Tommy had some close calls against Green Bay. He wasn't as lucky against the Saints. Daboll knew it was only a matter of time for the line to fold.

BluesCruz

Ed. I kinda predicted that Arse Kicking and you thought I was covering and giving myself an out

Not really true.  I had a bad "heebbie jieebie" about that game and saw no one was paying attention

Tommy got hit helmet to helmet PLUS tackling a QB who is in the proccess of giving himself up.  The Saints came out like thugs and we didnt lay a finger on their QB. Shameful....and no call WHAT?

Refs should be fired and league inquiry and big fines.  This is the same team that paid bounties.  Looks like they still are

I thought Daboll made a big mistake putting Tommy back in after the helmet blow and also his head was whipped into the turf

Tyrod Taylor should have been left in to finish the game.  I thought that at the time and feel that way still. Who knows he might have had a better outcome, maybe maybe not

The Saints were gunning for DeVito
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Painter

Why not? They won't be tied to Tyrod after the next and final 3 games. They might just as well find out what DeVito may be worth next year as either a 2 or 3 if they even decide to keep 3.

The only certainty is that DJ's cap costs (live or dead) will make him the nominal Num Uno assuming he's ready to go next Spring. And if not, there is no point or basis for us to now start WAGing about whom otherwise that may be. Right! Huh?

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 18, 2023, 11:48:27 AMEd. I kinda predicted that Arse Kicking and you thought I was covering and giving myself an out

Not really true.  I had a bad "heebbie jieebie" about that game and saw no one was paying attention

Tommy got hit helmet to helmet PLUS tackling a QB who is in the proccess of giving himself up.  The Saints came out like thugs and we didnt lay a finger on their QB. Shameful....and no call WHAT?

Refs should be fired and league inquiry and big fines.  This is the same team that paid bounties.  Looks like they still are

I thought Daboll made a big mistake putting Tommy back in after the helmet blow and also his head was whipped into the turf

Tyrod Taylor should have been left in to finish the game.  I thought that at the time and feel that way still. Who knows he might have had a better outcome, maybe maybe not

The Saints were gunning for DeVito
How dare you show your face around here after the way you have relentlessly hyped Tommy DeVito. You got everyone's hopes up only to have a huge letdown.

Just teasing ya. :) 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 12:00:12 PMHow dare you show your face around here after the way you have relentlessly hyped Tommy DeVito. You got everyone's hopes up only to have a huge letdown.

Just teasing ya. :) 
Disgrazia!
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 18, 2023, 11:45:38 AMOf course they have to call them. You know I have been calling out the play calling pretty much all season. Who knows WTF they think when they come up with their game plans.

As far as setting him up for failure, I don't think they deliberately created a game plan to make it more difficult for him. I mean, it's the Giants after all. Just snap the damn ball and he's running for his life, regardless of the play.

I believe it was more of the coach knowing his team, specifically the inability to provide any of his QBs time in the pocket. Tommy had some close calls against Green Bay. He wasn't as lucky against the Saints. Daboll knew it was only a matter of time for the line to fold.
I think Kafka takes a college HC job.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 12:04:22 PMI think Kafka takes a college HC job.

I'd be the first to congratulate him.

On the one hand, I kinda wish that Daboll would have taken over play calling. But, I prefer my HCs to focus on the team and not be distracted by one side of the ball or the other.

When you mentioned setting up a player for failure, I still believe that either consciously or subconsciously, that's exactly what they did with Jones.