News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Sacks allowed

Started by MightyGiants, December 18, 2023, 01:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

And I would bet that our o-line is top 5 in terms of resources, draft capital and FA money, league-wide.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 18, 2023, 01:42:28 PMAnd I would bet that our o-line is top 5 in terms of resources, draft capital and FA money, league-wide.
They have more players on the payroll and rank 21th. Next year when DJ's salary kicks into high gear it will change.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 02:29:35 PMThey have more players on the payroll and rank 21th. Next year when DJ's salary kicks into high gear it will change.

That's fine but it doesn't reflect the amount of draft capital expended.  Plus Andrew Thomas's jump in CAP will also kick in
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

Yeah, it's bad. But just as interceptions are all counted against the QB, not all are because of the QB (tipped passes and deflections), not all sacks are on the offensive line.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Rich: The data trail is relatively "small" for a calculation of this type.

The number of sacks in each game could be compared (individually) to either the QB's performance or simply to whether the team won or lost each game.

This would show that IMO the OL (five men, six if you count the "blocking" TE) is far more important to having a winning record than either the QB or the skill players.  The latter two categories determine IMO whether you can rise from better-than-average to a higher category, but the OL determines whether you can avoid being bad, awful or un-watch-able of offense.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 19, 2023, 01:23:10 AMhttps://twitter.com/Coach_Yac/status/1736826304463331366?t=WkNWtje-aZVPmbEeOKzr5Q&s=19

He was roundly criticised on this board, almost weekly.

Perhaps some of the issues stem from coaching. That's why I would advocate for a coaching change at the position rather than more high end picks being used on the line.

Painter

Through 14 games, the Giants have given up a franchise-record 76 sacks. Its QBs have been sacked at least seven times in six games this season. They are the third-most sacked team in NFL history, two sacks shy of the second-most. However, while 2 of their last 3 games are against a certain to be ticked-off Eagles, it seems unlikely that they will give up a further 28 sacks to tie the NFL's all time record of 104 set by none other than the 1986 Eagles.

Small consolation in being only second-worst in League history, eh! And so, to repeat myself for the umptyumpth time, it won't matter bubkes or bupkus, if you prefer, who they have behind Center, if they don't significantly improve the talent/performance of the Oline which can neither pass nor run block worth a damn. If you wanna add blame for poor coaching, that's all well and good, but it ain't no excuse.  Got that now, have we? huh?

Cheers!

T200

Quote from: Painter on December 19, 2023, 11:04:32 AMThrough 14 games, the Giants have given up a franchise-record 76 sacks. Its QBs have been sacked at least seven times in six games this season. They are the third-most sacked team in NFL history, two sacks shy of the second-most. However, while 2 of their last 3 games are against a certain to be ticked-off Eagles, it seems unlikely that they will give up a further 28 sacks to tie the NFL's all time record of 104 set by none other than the 1986 Eagles.

Small consolation in being only second-worst in League history, eh! And so, to repeat myself for the umptyumpth time, it won't matter bubkes or bupkus, if you prefer, who they have behind Center, if they don't significantly improve the talent/performance of the Oline which can neither pass nor run block worth a damn. Got that now, have we? huh?

Cheers!

Your points are valid and echo others who have pointed out the same.

I think some of the responses fall into one (QB) or the other (offensive line). I'm of the opinion that both can, should, and will be addressed by Schoen and Daboll in the offseason.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

President Rick

gee, is there perhaps a co-relation between most sacks allowed and a dismal W-L record for the season.  Larry is spot on - - -  if we don't have a good OL it won't matter who plays qb.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Philosophers

Quote from: T200 on December 19, 2023, 08:08:35 AMYeah, it's bad. But just as interceptions are all counted against the QB, not all are because of the QB (tipped passes and deflections), not all sacks are on the offensive line.

Even if a QB was responsible for say 10 sacks that is still 66 sacks on the OL.  This OL sucks. 

Painter

That's true, Tim. And, of course, I know you are not, but we mustn't let anyone or anything reduce or deflect focus from the Oline's total inadequacy.

On a lighter side, perhaps, while thinking of the Giants current Oline, I couldn't help but recall John McKay's- first HC of the then expansion Tampa Bucs- answer when asked what he thought of his team's execution? He replied, " I'm in favor of it."  ;)

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on December 19, 2023, 10:17:20 AMHe was roundly criticised on this board, almost weekly.

Perhaps some of the issues stem from coaching. That's why I would advocate for a coaching change at the position rather than more high end picks being used on the line.

ED: One factor of note regarding Jon. He played mostly C for the Giants, is playing most  G for the Niners. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!