News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Steelers cheap shot artist suspended for rest of the season

Started by MightyGiants, December 18, 2023, 03:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Saw the hit live and it looked awful.  Didn't realize the player had a history.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 18, 2023, 04:45:12 PMSaw the hit live and it looked awful.  Didn't realize the player had a history.

Yup. Plus a DUI charge in 2021.

The Steelers have a history of dirty players. James Harrison had multiple headhunting suspensions. Kimo Von Oelhoffen basically ruined Carson Palmer's career with a dirty hit. There have been others.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Uni

This is why it's ludicrous to think all injuries are simply the unintended consequence of collisions. Some defensive players don't think they're doing their job unless they're taking someone out of the game

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

files58

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 07:24:50 PMBorn 50 years too late.

Didn't know his history, however was he supposed to let him catch the pass? That's right born too late. The way the NFL is today one half to most of the defensive players in the HOF would be suspended. We never would have known how great LT, and Ronnie Lott were. There's a DB on Denver who is suspended, in a meeting with Goodell he was told that DB's are responsible for receivers' protection and welfare. Football is a COLLISION, and CONTACT sport. How is a DB supposed to play PROPER pass defense with the "go easy on Johnny" and the way they call PI? Fine you don't want blow up hits then let DB's have some freedom of contact in pass coverage. I'm waiting for the time when some team just doesn't give a crap anymore, and blows up any receiver on a crossing pattern(hopefully an Eagle).

Ed Vette

Quote from: files58 on December 18, 2023, 08:02:55 PMDidn't know his history, however was he supposed to let him catch the pass? That's right born too late. The way the NFL is today one half to most of the defensive players in the HOF would be suspended. We never would have known how great LT, and Ronnie Lott were. There's a DB on Denver who is suspended, in a meeting with Goodell he was told that DB's are responsible for receivers' protection and welfare. Football is a COLLISION, and CONTACT sport. How is a DB supposed to play PROPER pass defense with the "go easy on Johnny" and the way they call PI? Fine you don't want blow up hits then let DB's have some freedom of contact in pass coverage. I'm waiting for the time when some team just doesn't give a crap anymore, and blows up any receiver on a crossing pattern(hopefully an Eagle).
I don't recall players getting hurt back then the way they do today. The body armor these days are built for speed. Helmet to helmet, that needs to be called. Do you remember if QB's had heavier pads too. I think so.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimc

Quote from: Uni on December 18, 2023, 07:42:39 PMThis is why it's ludicrous to think all injuries are simply the unintended consequence of collisions. Some defensive players don't think they're doing their job unless they're taking someone out of the game

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I don't know about the "taking someone out of the game mentality" being a defensive players mindset, but intimidation certainly is. I would think that a defensive player wants to put as hard a hit as possible for the intimidation factor. Collisions result in injuries PERIOD.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone