News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you want Mike Kafka fired at the end of this season?

Started by DaveBrown74, December 18, 2023, 08:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want to see Kafka fired after this seeason?

Gmo11

Depends on who is replacing him.  I don't blame him for Jones getting hurt.  Or for giving Jones that money in the first place.  There's only so much you can do with the hand they've been dealt. If Jones is going to play that poorly there's not a coach alive that's gonna look like they're worth a crap.

Having said that if Daboll sees another coach that's been let go that he would rather work with for whatever reason then fine.  I don't know what's going on behind the scenes.  But for me this season is mostly a wash due to Jones being hurt for half the year and totally miserable for the other half. 

BluesCruz

id just like to see him open up the offense and leave it open no matter the score

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

uconnjack8

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 19, 2023, 04:49:27 PMid just like to see him open up the offense and leave it open no matter the score

Coaches have to think about their players safety.  Tough to open up an offense and leave it open when your team leads the league in sacks allowed and is on a 3rd strong QB due to injuries. 

DaveBrown74

It's interesting to me that a significant majority of respondents want him fired. I guess my question to those who voted "yes" would be, "what was your view on Kafka coming out of the 2022 season?"  Because my general memory was that just about everyone was positive and hoping he didn't get poached for a head coaching job. I don't remember a single person being negative on him. If there were any, they were extremely few in number. And I don't remember any at all.

So it's interesting that people want him fired based on one year, especially a year that saw the QB1 and QB2 go down and us missing our star left tackle for a lot of games not to mention our star RB and our top receiving target for multiple games as well. What sort of offensive production were people expecting?

AYM

I think he's an empty suit - about worth as much as Shula was under Shurmur; we know who runs this offense.

So it's do I want Daboll fired. I think his work with DeVito earned him another year, but he and Schoen's seats have to be pretty hot.

Woody

I think ....it appears to me ...I am not a professional play caller....however, it appears to me that there doesn't seem to be game time adjustments to the play calling based on what defenses do to the offense...offensive game plan going in may be good ...but when the defense makes adjustments, or the d-line dominates the line of scrimmage (happens frequently) it seems like  the Giant offense does not adjust etc. .....
those on this board old enough to remember the Parcells era....he was the best at halftime adjustments....His teams would make adjustments on both sides of the ball at halftime and would come out and dominate the third quarter...but I'm not sure how  analytics worked back then ...maybe the coaches just made decisions on what they were seeing on the field instead of what a computer program tells them what to do ;) 

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 20, 2023, 08:17:35 AMIt's interesting to me that a significant majority of respondents want him fired. I guess my question to those who voted "yes" would be, "what was your view on Kafka coming out of the 2022 season?"  Because my general memory was that just about everyone was positive and hoping he didn't get poached for a head coaching job. I don't remember a single person being negative on him. If there were any, they were extremely few in number. And I don't remember any at all.

So it's interesting that people want him fired based on one year, especially a year that saw the QB1 and QB2 go down and us missing our star left tackle for a lot of games not to mention our star RB and our top receiving target for multiple games as well. What sort of offensive production were people expecting?
You and I had this conversation earlier in the season because I have been down on Kafka pretty much all season.

Just to recap, I felt he did a pretty good job last year and was looking forward to this season to finally turn Jones loose. Never happened.

My biggest gripe with Kafka: no adjustments or creativity. Players get injured all the time and yes, the backups are backups for a reason. We know there will be a drop in talent and/or production. As the OC, it's his job to mask those deficiencies as much as possible. Instead, he consistently ran Barkley up the middle with no additional blocking. Very rarely did he move the pocket for Jones to minimize the rush. He called no screens (that I can remember) against Dallas in the opener. The offense was bland. It wasn't until the second half of the Arizona game that the offense showed life. And in the moments after the comeback win, there were questions about who was actually calling the plays: Daboll or Kafka.

He's gotten a little better since Jones has been out, but not much. Kinda makes me wonder if he just didn't care for Jones and did very little to make him successful. I know it's conspiracy theory-ish but it does make me wonder.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Brooklyn Dave

A good example is what the Bengels did with Browning and the Browns with Flacco . Very possible, both Browning and Flacco are much better than Devito.

4 Aces

I absolutely do, from afar. But I have no idea what orders he's taking from his boss either. Same with Wink - what specifically are he and Daboll fighting about? Is he being ordered to play more zone than his usual man (for example)? Is he doing what he's asked? Is he not? We have no idea. For all, I know, Kafka feels exactly the same as I do but isn't allowed to carry out his vision.

That said - this offense is a joke. The scheme is pedestrian, the play-calling sucks, other teams are sitting all over everything we've done all year with zero meaningful adjustments. Every week, we trot out the same basic handful of plays like it's a preseason game. Shotgun heavy, throwing the ball around like we're Peyton's Colts. It's ridiculous.

If I was in charge, we'd have a Parcells/Coughlin power running offense with deep shot play action built in. That's the scheme that works here, we've got 4 Lombardi's in the case, and there's still no defending it. It's not guaranteed to work, but it gives you a shot.

Mike Kafka is running Brian Daboll's offense. Sure, fire him I guess, but to me, that doesn't fix the overall problem.

Gmo11

Quote from: 4 Aces on December 20, 2023, 01:13:05 PMI absolutely do, from afar. But I have no idea what orders he's taking from his boss either. Same with Wink - what specifically are he and Daboll fighting about? Is he being ordered to play more zone than his usual man (for example)? Is he doing what he's asked? Is he not? We have no idea. For all, I know, Kafka feels exactly the same as I do but isn't allowed to carry out his vision.

That said - this offense is a joke. The scheme is pedestrian, the play-calling sucks, other teams are sitting all over everything we've done all year with zero meaningful adjustments. Every week, we trot out the same basic handful of plays like it's a preseason game. Shotgun heavy, throwing the ball around like we're Peyton's Colts. It's ridiculous.

If I was in charge, we'd have a Parcells/Coughlin power running offense with deep shot play action built in. That's the scheme that works here, we've got 4 Lombardi's in the case, and there's still no defending it. It's not guaranteed to work, but it gives you a shot.

Mike Kafka is running Brian Daboll's offense. Sure, fire him I guess, but to me, that doesn't fix the overall problem.

And in your estimation power running behind this OL that can't pick up a basic stunt would prove to be successful? 

GloryDays

Whoever made the offensive calls for the Jets game should be fired, no question.

B1GBLUE

i only voted no because i want him fired 2 months ago.

B1GBLUE

It just seems to me he repeatedly slams his head against a wall. no creativity. no adjustments. doesnt take advantage of matchups. There was a play on 3rd down last week where it was OBVIOUS the saints were sending the house. i mean zero underneath coverage. and what do we do? basically send out 1 receiver. where is the hot route? every other team seems to be able to manage having a safety valve. we never, ever, ever have that. why does barkley not have 50+ catches? its just mind boggling. So many times i see route patterns where EVERY receivers back is to the qb 15-20 yards downfield. Stick route? curl route? nothing? i am totally amatuer in this area, but even i can identify that if your line cant block, you dont call a 20 yard comeback route on 3rd and 6. its maddening.

kingm56

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 20, 2023, 01:21:34 PMAnd in your estimation power running behind this OL that can't pick up a basic stunt would prove to be successful? 

The question is more fundamental.  What power running team has threated to win a SB post 2012/13 rule changes, which explicitly made it easier to pass?  The game is fundamentally different than it was decade ago; RBs no longer garner significant salaries as a byproduct of teams no longer building around power running games. That era of football is gone and probably isn't coming back, at least not until the NFL alters its rules. 

TONKA56

Quote from: kingm56 on December 21, 2023, 10:11:56 AMThe question is more fundamental.  What power running team has threated to win a SB post 2012/13 rule changes, which explicitly made it easier to pass?  The game is fundamentally different than it was decade ago; RBs no longer garner significant salaries as a byproduct of teams no longer building around power running games. That era of football is gone and probably isn't coming back, at least not until the NFL alters its rules. 

"Power running" is an ambiguous term that means different things to different critics. While the days of the I formation and the lead blocking fullback may indeed be behind us, I still subscribe to the balanced attack and the play action pass. It would also be nice to know that you can punch it in from the 2 yard line or on 3rd and short the majority of the time, at least to point where defenses have to pay it respect.