News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jets-Commanders Who to root for ?

Started by Brooklyn Dave, December 19, 2023, 02:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

Strictly as respects to our  draft position , who do we as Giants fans want to  root for this weekend? Obviously, we want to see The Bears win their  game . 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 19, 2023, 02:22:11 AMStrictly as respects to our  draft position , who do we as Giants fans want to  root for this weekend? Obviously, we want to see The Bears win their  game . 

I would think we're rooting for the Commanders. I'm not certain the Jets will draft a QB. I guess the Commanders aren't a lock to either, but they seem more likely to me.

The Jets are going to be all-in on next season as Rodgers will be back and they have a narrow window with him (probably just one year). They're going to want to max out on helping him I think. So I see them as more likely to take an OL unless they can get Harrison. Also, I don't think they're going to clean house this year with the coaching staff or the front office, so it would surprise me if the current group drafted another QB at the expense of using a high pick on a position player to help Rodgers on offense.

I suspect the Commanders will be drafting a QB if they can. Obviously I don't know that for sure, but that would be my guess. Howell hasn't been awful, but he certainly hasn't looked like a franchise QB either. I would think the new regime will want their own new QB to start their tenure with.

coggs

If QB is what you want, have to root for the Commanders. 

katkavage

I'm really not sure the Commanders will be drafting a QB. It depends on the next coach and GM. They might go for defense. The Jets will not draft a QB. They will definitely draft OL or WR. In any case, I think the Jets will win this one. Any team who the Giants can beat twice in one season is beyond bad.

Ed Vette

No way the Jets draft a QB unless Aaron Rodgers announces his retirement. It would not sit well with him as it didn't when GB drafted Love. Root for the Jets if you want a QB.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Brooklyn Dave

My Bad, I was trying to find out if or how  we move up in the draft depending who wins the game , not necessarily who we might draft . Right now I believe we draft 6th  .

Chicago, NE, Arizoina, Washington, Chicago, Us, Jets.

If we lose out, this week,  Chicgo beats Arizona, Washington beats the Jets do we jump to number 4 or 5 ? We would have the same record as Washington but would have beaten them twice .

WAshinton's 2 last games are against the 49ers and Cowboys after The Jets and the Bears 2 last games after the Cardinals are The Falcons and Packers .

Thank you

zephirus

Ah the race to the bottom!  One of my (sadly) favorite past-times for the Giants of late.

Looking at the remaining schedules and such, I don't think the Giants can get much "higher" than 5th, even with an assumed "lose out".

Washington would essentially need to win 2 games for the Giants to leap-frog them.  They have a slightly higher SOS than the Giants as of right now and that would inflate massively if they lost to San Fran and Dallas to close out the schedule.  That said the Giants' SOS is likely to go up even with losses to Philly and LA.  They'd lose any potential tie-breaker if they had identical SOS, although there's enough other teams within the 5 win bracket that it's unlikely.

Arizona and New England would have to win 2 of the remaining 3 games go get into the 5 team bracket - pretty tall order for them.   

SlotCorner

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 19, 2023, 08:41:45 AMNo way the Jets draft a QB unless Aaron Rodgers announces his retirement. It would not sit well with him as it didn't when GB drafted Love. Root for the Jets if you want a QB.

I disagree. If the Jets were smart, they would draft a rookie this year who would benefit from sitting and the coaching of Rodgers. Whatever happens, Rodgers will only play one more year anyway. They should know Wilson isn't the future. The time is now to plan for post-Rodgers. F him what he thinks, if the Jets are going to keep doing things to make him happy, they get what they deserve.

Ed Vette

Quote from: SlotCorner on December 19, 2023, 04:03:39 PMI disagree. If the Jets were smart, they would draft a rookie this year who would benefit from sitting and the coaching of Rodgers. Whatever happens, Rodgers will only play one more year anyway. They should know Wilson isn't the future. The time is now to plan for post-Rodgers. F him what he thinks, if the Jets are going to keep doing things to make him happy, they get what they deserve.
What makes you think Rodgers will play only one more year? The Jets shouldn't be thinking about drafting a QB until at least 2025 or burn his Rookie contract.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: SlotCorner on December 19, 2023, 04:03:39 PMI disagree. If the Jets were smart, they would draft a rookie this year who would benefit from sitting and the coaching of Rodgers. Whatever happens, Rodgers will only play one more year anyway. They should know Wilson isn't the future. The time is now to plan for post-Rodgers. F him what he thinks, if the Jets are going to keep doing things to make him happy, they get what they deserve.

The Jets are paying a fortune for Rodgers not to mention what they gave up for him. The whole point of bringing him here for this narrow time window was to go all-in on trying to win a Super Bowl. They're not going to use a first rounder on a player who isn't going to help with that short term goal. The near term stakes are too high. They're going to get him another weapon or O lineman in the first round. You can take that to the bank.

uconnjack8

You could have stopped right there.

SlotCorner

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 19, 2023, 05:25:41 PMWhat makes you think Rodgers will play only one more year? The Jets shouldn't be thinking about drafting a QB until at least 2025 or burn his Rookie contract.

Rodgers only signed a two year contract and is now coming off a major injury. He made noises about retiring before he got traded. I don't care how cheap Wilsonnis, he not the answer. If Rodgers doesn't come back after next year, who's their QB?

Not that I care. This is all predicated on a team that hired Hackett doing something smart.  They're not smart.

Ed Vette

Quote from: SlotCorner on December 19, 2023, 07:20:54 PMRodgers only signed a two year contract and is now coming off a major injury. He made noises about retiring before he got traded. I don't care how cheap Wilsonnis, he not the answer. If Rodgers doesn't come back after next year, who's their QB?

Not that I care. This is all predicated on a team that hired Hackett doing something smart.  They're not smart.
It's a three year contract through 2025. If they draft a QB in 2024, they burn two years of his rookie contract before he even sees the field unless Rodgers gets hurt or retires with a huge cap hit.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Not to mention the Jets OL is even worse than the Giants.