News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

2022 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Evan Neal ? Bust?

Started by brownelvis54, December 19, 2023, 11:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Looking at the pre draft scouting reports, especially the weakness....it looks like walter football was right.

Weaknesses:
Can have problems with speed rushers

Not a gifted athlete

Can stand up too high
Feet can get stuck in pass protection

Does not have left-tackle feet

Has change-of-direction issues

Has problems redirecting versus inside stunts

Here is what an area scout said about Neal, "He's big, long, heavy-handed. He's not a gifted athlete; he's just so d*** big. He's a power guy. His feet worry me, and he doesn't have NFL left tackle feet. He has to win with body range and length. I would start him at right tackle and if that doesn't work kick him inside to guard."

Neal could end up as top-10 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, and he should go as one of the first 20 choices. If enough NFL teams feel Neal can stay at left tackle, that would help his chances of going high in the first round.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2022eneal.php

The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

Here is an interesting take on Reddit

Evan Neal since he was a rookie was forced the change the Technique that got him drafted, to fit our system, Bobby Johnson's system might be ruining Evan Neal's career

He has terrible footwork and plays out of position. He relied on manhandling people in college and it doesn't work on this level.

The reply:

Too an extent but thats not the full story. The manhandling just prevented us from seeing his balance issues on display, but he really has completely lost all of his technique and general play speed, which is making the balance issues even worse.

I generally wonder what they are coaching him. Evan Neal is no longer playing offensive line, but instead trying to stitch together the techniques a good offensive is supposed to do and is failing misreably.

There still is a good lineman in Evan Neal, they just gotta figure out how to let him play his game. Although, there is a solid shot they have completely broken his technique, confidence, and game style that he may never be able to reach his ceiling now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYGiants/comments/1729sub/evan_neal_since_he_was_a_rookie_was_forced_the/

babywhales

Neals worst weakness - gets stressed and gives up on technique. this equates to mental weakness and lake of focus.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

TONKA56

Unfortunately it would seem he has emotional maturity problems too.  The "burger flipper" and "from out of the womb" comments were very defensive and very telling with respect to accountability.

brownelvis54

This is a cool read:  In college he played in vertical sets. Hes being asked to play 45 degree sets now which is very hard.

This is the article to read:

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/25/13746680/nfl-pass-blocking-sets-best-offensive-linemen-joe-thomas-tyron-smith

The specifics relating to Neal i learned watching Bobby Skinner break down film.

B1GBLUE

I think walter football is the best website for such things. They are usually very accurate

TONKA56

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 22, 2023, 07:21:22 AMI think walter football is the best website for such things. They are usually very accurate

I am also a big fan of Walter Football. However it has its share of detractors on this site. c'est la vie.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 22, 2023, 07:31:21 AMI am also a big fan of Walter Football. However it has its share of detractors on this site. c'est la vie.

Me three. I've been a regular reader of the site for at least a decade. I agree that many dislike him and/or his site, and by no means do I think he's always right or some foremost unquestioned authority, but I do like a lot of his takes, and I think Charlie Campbell is one of the better (if not the best) draftniks out there. He is made enough great calls over the years for me to consider it a meaningful sample and, as a result, take his opinions pretty seriously.

TONKA56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 22, 2023, 07:33:36 AMMe three. I've been a regular reader of the site for at least a decade. I agree that many dislike him and/or his site, and by no means do I think he's always right or some foremost unquestioned authority, but I do like a lot of his takes, and I think Charlie Campbell is one of the better (if not the best) draftniks out there. He is made enough great calls over the years for me to consider it a meaningful sample and, as a result, take his opinions pretty seriously.

He was spot on about Lamar Jackson and a bunch of other players throughout the years. He stands his ground even when other analysts tend to cluster around the latest narrative.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 22, 2023, 07:33:36 AMMe three. I've been a regular reader of the site for at least a decade. I agree that many dislike him and/or his site, and by no means do I think he's always right or some foremost unquestioned authority, but I do like a lot of his takes, and I think Charlie Campbell is one of the better (if not the best) draftniks out there. He is made enough great calls over the years for me to consider it a meaningful sample and, as a result, take his opinions pretty seriously.

they just seem to be incredibly detail oriented, and non biased. its hard to find that. almost robotic in terms of their assessments.

TONKA56

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 22, 2023, 07:37:18 AMthey just seem to be incredibly detail oriented, and non biased. its hard to find that. almost robotic in terms of their assessments.

And the presentation of the prospects at each position is great. My only beef is that they allow so many pop ups it makes the website very buggy and freeze ups and browser crashes are unacceptably common. 

B1GBLUE

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 22, 2023, 07:47:36 AMAnd the presentation of the prospects at each position is great. My only beef is that they allow so many pop ups it makes the website very buggy and freeze ups and browser crashes are unacceptably common. 

yesssssssssssss. before i got a new computer it would crash my whole system. totally agree.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 22, 2023, 07:37:18 AMthey just seem to be incredibly detail oriented, and non biased. its hard to find that. almost robotic in terms of their assessments.

100% agree. They could care less what Todd McShay, Dane Brugler, and Dan Jeremiah think. They might agree, or they might not. They don't disagree just for the sake of disagreeing, but they're not afraid to have a different view on a player. The same applies to Walter's takes on NFL teams.

Again, like anyone, obviously they're not always right. But I like the independent approach and a lot of their reasoning as well as their lack of bias.