News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How was there no flag when Tommy got helmeted and hit while sliding

Started by BluesCruz, December 19, 2023, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 19, 2023, 04:39:51 PMHe didn't get hit in the head so really it comes down to was the hit avoidable or not.  Defenders are given a little bit of a break so a QB can't just slide a millisecond before the defender gets there to add 15 yards to the run.  You have to give the defense enough time to actually stop.  The refs on the field and the ref that Fox has all seemed to think there wasn't enough time to pull up.  I kinda thought otherwise myself but I'm not a referee.

While you are right

I have seen way softer calls called on Giants and other teams frankly... Once any qb begins to slide a mere soft push almost always generates a flag which I never agree with. But the hit on Tommy was not only done when he was already sliding but it was done with strong impact. Was it impossible for the defender to stop ?? Probably ... yea... but so is 90% of all these other hits that get flags when a QB is sliding.

Just saying

BluesCruz

It was a viscious hit and could have resulted in a serious concussion
I dont know what that flag was for the hit or the ensuing team pushing and shoving
At any rate it apparently was picked up.  Should have been reviewed or at least a conference by the refs

Tommy is a tough player.  It seems he just shrugged it off, but Defensive players should not think they can get away with taking shots at a sliding QB

In the end it was a lack of effort by the Giants that did them in.  They tried to slip past the Saints but the Saints were ready to battle and we were'nt

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

B1GBLUE

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 19, 2023, 04:34:20 PMAlso DeVito slung to the ground...I was suprised he got up and was seemingly ok

That was a gross travesty.  Saints player should have been ejected, fined and 15 yds from the spot of the foul

I dont care what you think of DeVito but what would have happened if that was Tom Brady?

DeVito was well into his slide when hit

They targeted DeVito

The game was 7-6 when that happened and afterward the Giants fell apart

Strahan commented fter the game that he didnt get the call because he was a rookie????  What friggen difference does that make?   They were targeting, and calling him Paisano all game- should have gotten unsportsman like for those taunts too

Hometown Refs

the first thing i said was if that was brady theyd have called that.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 19, 2023, 05:34:41 PMThey play in the NFL, it's not flag football. I can't believe this is a thread as we got the bogus bellinger call. Yes devitos head hit the ground but the other player didn't hit his head. He lead with his body not his helmet.

i also thought they non called it to make up for the bellinger call.

TDToomer

Hot take.  Ban QBS from running past the line of scrimmage and you will see a major drop in injuries.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on December 21, 2023, 08:54:11 AMHot take.  Ban QBS from running past the line of scrimmage and you will see a major drop in injuries.

Perhaps, but the product itself would suffer massively as that's a huge part of the game.