News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How was there no flag when Tommy got helmeted and hit while sliding

Started by BluesCruz, December 19, 2023, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

Also DeVito slung to the ground...I was suprised he got up and was seemingly ok

That was a gross travesty.  Saints player should have been ejected, fined and 15 yds from the spot of the foul

I dont care what you think of DeVito but what would have happened if that was Tom Brady?

DeVito was well into his slide when hit

They targeted DeVito

The game was 7-6 when that happened and afterward the Giants fell apart

Strahan commented fter the game that he didnt get the call because he was a rookie????  What friggen difference does that make?   They were targeting, and calling him Paisano all game- should have gotten unsportsman like for those taunts too

Hometown Refs

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Gmo11

He didn't get hit in the head so really it comes down to was the hit avoidable or not.  Defenders are given a little bit of a break so a QB can't just slide a millisecond before the defender gets there to add 15 yards to the run.  You have to give the defense enough time to actually stop.  The refs on the field and the ref that Fox has all seemed to think there wasn't enough time to pull up.  I kinda thought otherwise myself but I'm not a referee.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 19, 2023, 04:39:51 PMHe didn't get hit in the head so really it comes down to was the hit avoidable or not.  Defenders are given a little bit of a break so a QB can't just slide a millisecond before the defender gets there to add 15 yards to the run.  You have to give the defense enough time to actually stop.  The refs on the field and the ref that Fox has all seemed to think there wasn't enough time to pull up.  I kinda thought otherwise myself but I'm not a referee.

Watch it again there was helmet to helmet I believe.  I'll give you the defender needs time to pull up but you cannot target and helmet anyone, QB or no QB

Gmo11

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 19, 2023, 04:43:22 PMWatch it again there was helmet to helmet I believe.  I'll give you the defender needs time to pull up but you cannot target and helmet anyone, QB or no QB

Nah...square in the shoulder pad and then his head bounced off the turf.  I still would have thrown the flag cause it did seem a bit late like he might have been able to at least jump over him rather than blast him but the refs did not agree.

Jclayton92

They play in the NFL, it's not flag football. I can't believe this is a thread as we got the bogus bellinger call. Yes devitos head hit the ground but the other player didn't hit his head. He lead with his body not his helmet.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 19, 2023, 05:34:41 PMThey play in the NFL, it's not flag football. I can't believe this is a thread as we got the bogus bellinger call. Yes devitos head hit the ground but the other player didn't hit his head. He lead with his body not his helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23mehqhaPdc
Yes the pads od both players took impact but the Saints players helmut collided with Devitos helmet too Bang Bang
tough to see in real time motion
Clearly Devito's helmut was struck square in the forehead/temple  area

This video is legit and hopefully not created by AI

Case Closed

We still have a 1% chance of advancing....Ill take it and glad Tommy was not hurt by the "Paisano" chanting thugs of a team that was once singled out for bounties

I hope the Saints get what they deserve- What goes around comes around as they say

Painter

So what's your point; if not for this or that shoulda/coulda, they woulda scored more than a couple of FGs and otherwise not have looked so feckless? 

Cheers!

Giant Jim

Need to see it from another angle. It looks like he hit DeVito's helmet with his from this angle. You can stop the video and see the possible point of impact, but you can't see if they actually hit. It's much clearer in the paused video in full screen.

You cannot view this attachment.

TONKA56

We got the favor returned on the hit on Bellinger. Most folks will swear make up calls are a myth but I've seen it too often to be 100% certain. 

Jclayton92

As soft as the nfl is becoming the last thing we need is for them to call even more flags.

The officials, announcers everyone said clean hit. So I don't see the big deal.

Uni

I had a thought when the hit happened that DeVito was flopping for a flag, but he had to pulled out of the game for neurological observation based on his reaction. Maybe that's why he was so salty about it walking off the field, because he wasn't even hurt, he was just acting. It looks like he's telling them he's fine, he was just trying to get a flag, but I'm sure that's an excuse they've heard before. They even had to take his helmet to prevent him from running on to the field.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 19, 2023, 08:25:42 PMAs soft as the nfl is becoming the last thing we need is for them to call even more flags.

The officials, announcers everyone said clean hit. So I don't see the big deal.

Jonathan vilma says right in this video "It looks like he got hit in the head"
The force of the blow to the head caused his head to hit the turf too
What are you seeing here?

And no the Bellinger call did not even things out, we had to switch QBs
Devito was driving for the go ahead TD when this happened the score was 7-3 or 7-6 not sure

The thing is once a QB goes into his slide he no longer can avoid a hit, he is essentially
helpless. Its like when you went down a slide as a kid, once you let go the rest was out of your control

Bad call and sort of threw us off the tracks.  I believe the Saints given their history were told to go after DeVito even if he slides.....just my impression

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 20, 2023, 09:31:27 AMJonathan vilma says right in this video "It looks like he got hit in the head"
The force of the blow to the head caused his head to hit the turf too
What are you seeing here?

And no the Bellinger call did not even things out, we had to switch QBs
Devito was driving for the go ahead TD when this happened the score was 7-3 or 7-6 not sure

The thing is once a QB goes into his slide he no longer can avoid a hit, he is essentially
helpless. Its like when you went down a slide as a kid, once you let go the rest was out of your control

Bad call and sort of threw us off the tracks.  I believe the Saints given their history were told to go after DeVito even if he slides.....just my impression
His helmet made contact with the ground man. It was a clean hit, therevwas a lot more off track before that hit transpired, and Tyrod drove us down for points with Devito out. All your points here are coming up short.

Ed Vette

With all the QBs on IR this year and the adverse affect on the product, I suspect we will see additional protections being discussed at the Owners meetings.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 20, 2023, 10:04:51 AMWith all the QBs on IR this year and the adverse affect on the product, I suspect we will see additional protections being discussed at the Owners meetings.

No doubt. They can't risk a scenario where 2024 looks like 2023, with tons of starting QBs out for the season, and then they have to deal with questions as to why they didn't make more aggressive changes after the 2023 season. I would expect even more flags, stricter rules, replays, and other play stoppages in 2024 and beyond.