News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So how do we collect the pieces

Started by killarich, December 25, 2023, 08:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

WHO are the free agents available

We are back in contention for a QB in the draft

But we desperately need a WR1 and sadly another linemen

I'm tired of the 2nd-3rd round receiver ... we have a bunch of decent receivers who would be better if we had a legit wr1 ...

I think the strategy has to be either draft a qb and hope it's for real or maybe draft Harrison if we can

If we get Harrison we have to roll with DJ for another season

If we draft QB I see no point in keeping DJ ... if anybody would bite at DJ I'd say take whatever you can get for him .... 3rd round , 4th round picks whatever and just let the rookie take over... I find bridge qb's to be useless unless you actually plan on them playing the entire season

Now if we go QB .... what receivers are available in free agency who will instantly be wr1 ? That becomes need #1 via free agency

Who is available at o-line via free agency ?

Are we giving Neal another year at Tackle ?... let's not make the Flowers mistake and continue to force him to play Tackle... if not play Neal at guard and see if it sticks

Resigning Simmons is a must , and McKinney if the price is right

Barkley I love the dude... but he was completely idiotic not taking the 12 mil a season... the guy seems to be a great human being... but my god when it comes to financials with bitcoin and creating an off-season drama for no reason...he is not the brightest in that department. Barkley is worth 6-7 mil a season at this point .... He did it to himself

2nd and 3rd round have to be  some sort of EDGE , DT and Oline combo

Idk how we are going to do it ... it whether we draft a qb or not ..wr1 and Oline have to be addressed 

Jclayton92

I think Wr becomes less of a need with a different signal caller.

Sign 2 plug and play olinemen in FA, along with a safety, and 2 cheaper Rbs.

Draft a QB with the 1st, an Edge, and a Dlineman with your first 3 picks if possible, then BPA.

killarich

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 25, 2023, 08:30:44 PMI think Wr becomes less of a need with a different signal caller.

Sign 2 plug and play olinemen in FA, along with a safety, and 2 cheaper Rbs.

Draft a QB with the 1st, an Edge, and a Dlineman with your first 3 picks if possible, then BPA.

I'm fine with this ..but I still think WR1 is a must

We don't have a consistent threat

One week it's Hyatt, one eeek Robinson then one week Slayton

We need someone is always a threat to consistently make the mentioned 3 a consistent secondary threat also

DaveBrown74

If we're not taking a QB (either bc we can't get one or bc we don't like one enough to draft him), WR is a possibility. We likely won't get Harrison but Nabers should be there.

BTW on a separate note: we are not under any circumstances going to be able to move Jones. No team, even the dumbest teams in the league, will take him off our hands with that contract of his. Teams can see that you can get better results with guys like Minshew and Mayfield at a fraction of the price. Nobody is taking Jones and his $47mmm 2024 cap hit off our hands. He's 100% back next year, whether they want him to be or not.

killarich

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 25, 2023, 08:37:41 PMIf we're not taking a QB (either bc we can't get one or bc we don't like one enough to draft him), WR is a possibility. We likely won't get Harrison but Nabers should be there.

BTW on a separate note: we are not under any circumstances going to be able to move Jones. No team, even the dumbest teams in the league, will take him off our hands with that contract of his. Teams can see that you can get better results with guys like Minshew and Mayfield at a fraction of the price. Nobody is taking Jones and his $47mmm 2024 cap hit off our hands. He's 100% back next year, whether they want him to be or not.

Jones contract is set in a way that if he's let go after next season it isn't that terrible of a hit on the cap

Does that carry over to the team if he were to get traded ?

That may be the only saving grace

kartanoman

Well, this game shows the defense needs players who don't get blown off the line and who can tackle.

On offense, fix the damn line, once and for all, both players and coaches. I agree a WR1 would go a long way and even a stud TE in the George Kittle class would be a tremendous help to the line.

Upgrade all positions with speed where you can. Special teams needs all the help it can get. I, personally, am very much open to improving the punter as I'm still not 100% sold on Gillen and it has nothing to do with today and his kicking through an injury.

Lots of passion on drafting a QB here. If the Giants didn't have so many other needs, I might be open to it. That said, if a bona-fide game changer is available, that represents the continuation of the line of legends from Benny Friedman to Eli Manning, I am open to considering it.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

files58

I want a team that before and after the game are as kind/nice as Mother Theresa, but during the game they are like the Mongol horde rampaging through the steppe. I want an owner who is as ruthless as Bobby Axelrod was in Billions when it comes to winning, acquiring quality players, and will stand in front of a microphone defending his team that was victimized by lousy officiating. We need a new QB who is a fearless gunslinger.

jimc

I'm still numb by the Neal swing and miss. It reinforces the fact that the draft is a real crap shoot.  Especially those high round picks because of the damage they cause if you miss.

I'm ok with DJ and the GM, HC, DC and OC. I'll let those guys decide on the rest of the coaches.

The question is, did we have areas of improvement over last year?  If not, why not.

- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

Torus34

Yesterday's game with the Eagles showed two QB's who can take the club to a solid, mid-level place next year. Coaching for Mr. Thomas DeVito and judicious use of Mr. Tyrod Tailor will get that particular dog walked.

Mr. Danial Jones should be sold off to the highest bidder ASAP. That will put some bread in the salary jar.

Drafting should center on a couple of receivers who can take some of the pressure off Mr. Saquon Barkley. Even his superb durability has a limit.

Finally, see if there's any really weak spot in the defensive squad to fix.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

B1GBLUE

Quote from: killarich on December 25, 2023, 08:33:14 PMI'm fine with this ..but I still think WR1 is a must

We don't have a consistent threat

One week it's Hyatt, one eeek Robinson then one week Slayton

We need someone is always a threat to consistently make the mentioned 3 a consistent secondary threat also

robinson is so 1 dimensional. underneath slot guy. and thats fine. you need that guy. but you saw yesterday what a big body posession guy can do. robinson is not a downfield threat at all.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Torus34 on December 26, 2023, 07:18:23 AMMr. Danial Jones should be sold off to the highest bidder ASAP. That will put some bread in the salary jar.

Which of the other 31 NFL teams do you honestly believe will consider with a straight face trading for a middling at best QB who played utterly horribly in his most recent year, is coming off an ACL injury as well as his second serious neck injury, has had multiple other serious injuries, and has a $47mm cap hit in 2024 with a total of $69.3mm in dead cap remaining on his $40mm a year contract?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Torus34 on December 26, 2023, 07:18:23 AMYesterday's game with the Eagles showed two QB's who can take the club to a solid, mid-level place next year. Coaching for Mr. Thomas DeVito and judicious use of Mr. Tyrod Tailor will get that particular dog walked.

Mr. Danial Jones should be sold off to the highest bidder ASAP. That will put some bread in the salary jar.

Drafting should center on a couple of receivers who can take some of the pressure off Mr. Saquon Barkley. Even his superb durability has a limit.

Finally, see if there's any really weak spot in the defensive squad to fix.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

who is giving up anything for jones coming off an acl and a brutal performance for the few games he did play? its unrealistic. hes going to be qb1 next year with a very short leash.

TONKA56

Quote from: kartanoman on December 25, 2023, 08:57:15 PMWell, this game shows the defense needs players who don't get blown off the line and who can tackle.

On offense, fix the damn line, once and for all, both players and coaches. I agree a WR1 would go a long way and even a stud TE in the George Kittle class would be a tremendous help to the line.

Upgrade all positions with speed where you can. Special teams needs all the help it can get. I, personally, am very much open to improving the punter as I'm still not 100% sold on Gillen and it has nothing to do with today and his kicking through an injury.

Lots of passion on drafting a QB here. If the Giants didn't have so many other needs, I might be open to it. That said, if a bona-fide game changer is available, that represents the continuation of the line of legends from Benny Friedman to Eli Manning, I am open to considering it.

Peace!

I believe bad tackling was the single biggest culprit in last night's loss.

killarich

Quote from: TONKA56 on December 26, 2023, 08:20:36 AMI believe bad tackling was the single biggest culprit in last night's loss.

McFadden had a few missed tackles

But I will give him a pass as he has been over performing all season

Crazy ... linebackers was our biggest question mark coming into the season

But reality is every other position has severely underperformed

Giant Obsession

1.  A great uptick in strength training.  Consult with Johnny Parker.

2.  A long rehab vacation for Daniel Jones. Our medical staff will not clear you for contact for the 2024 season.  Bit the bullet, eat the cap mistake we have created.  This is the same QB that played at Duke.  No matter how much you polish mud, it ain't gonna shine.

3. A HC and OC who are on the same aggressive page.  And are not afraid to design pass protection that utilizes our downfield speed at least 10 times per game.  Channel Hank Stram on how to use your offensive talent.

4. Trade out of the first round.  We need 25 - 30 new better players, all positions except Placekicker.  Save drafting a QB for the new HC after Daboll gets his walking papers in Week 10 of 2024.

It's gonna take a while to fix this mess, delayed probably next season since we don't want to cut loose our present HC.  We seem to enjoy the thorn stuck in our arm and are in no hurry to remove it.

We really missed the boat on Dan Campbell, a drafted ex Giant who paid his dues all along the coaching staffs and seems to demand respect and performance. 
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon