News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So how do we collect the pieces

Started by killarich, December 25, 2023, 08:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc16LT56

If anyone could turn Marvin Harrison Jr into a non-factor it would be Daniel Jones. That's the last QB-WR pairing I ever want to see on the Giants.

killarich

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 26, 2023, 09:21:00 AMIf anyone could turn Marvin Harrison Jr into a non-factor it would be Daniel Jones. That's the last QB-WR pairing I ever want to see on the Giants.

Are you saying Harrison cant get open ?

Jones biggest weakness is locking onto 1-2 players

His rookie season he was heaving the ball....because we had receivers who were able to get open

Due to the injury I believe we should still move on at QB .... but im not so sure Jones will just destroy a WR

Doc16LT56

Quote from: killarich on December 26, 2023, 09:55:24 AMAre you saying Harrison cant get open ?
Baffling that you made that leap smh.

killarich

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 26, 2023, 09:56:49 AMBaffling that you made that leap smh.

You literally stated that he would be a non-factor.... I just disagree and added a question

This doesnt mean I dont think we should move on from Jones .... I just dont think Harrison becomes a Non-Factor

Doc16LT56

Quote from: killarich on December 26, 2023, 09:58:39 AMYou literally stated that he would be a non-factor.... I just disagree and added a question

This doesnt mean I dont think we should move on from Jones .... I just dont think Harrison becomes a Non-Factor
Yes, I think Jones is bad enough that drafting Harrison wouldn't be worth it if Jones is the QB. No, I don't think Harrison would produce to his potential with Jones under center.

killarich

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 26, 2023, 10:01:22 AMYes, I think Jones is bad enough that drafting Harrison wouldn't be worth it if Jones is the QB. No, I don't think Harrison would produce to his potential with Jones under center.

OK ..but we still need to build pieces .... If we miss out on QB .... do we just ignore the rest of the offense simply because Jones is the QB ? I dont understand this logic....  If we could get Tyrek Hill for a draft pick do we simply say no because Jones is the QB ?

Im talking about building the team... if we dont get a QB Jones is the QB for just one more season.... you dont ignore needs because of one player

T200

Quote from: killarich on December 26, 2023, 09:58:39 AMYou literally stated that he would be a non-factor.... I just disagree and added a question

You gotta read the entire statement...

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 26, 2023, 09:21:00 AMIf anyone could turn Marvin Harrison Jr into a non-factor it would be Daniel Jones. That's the last QB-WR pairing I ever want to see on the Giants.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

T200

Quote from: killarich on December 26, 2023, 10:04:20 AMOK ..but we still need to build pieces .... If we miss out on QB .... do we just ignore the rest of the offense simply because Jones is the QB ? I dont understand this logic....  If we could get Tyrek Hill for a draft pick do we simply say no because Jones is the QB ?

Im talking about building the team... if we dont get a QB Jones is the QB for just one more season.... you dont ignore needs because of one player
How exactly does Tyreek Hill or MHJ help this offense without the ball getting thrown to him?

killarich

Quote from: T200 on December 26, 2023, 10:05:39 AMHow exactly does Tyreek Hill or MHJ help this offense without the ball getting thrown to him?

Lol I think we are being a little dramatic here...

Jones has multiple factors why the ball isnt thrown....  Both his fault and the O-lines fault

As mentioned his biggest problem is he locks on to one target far too long

If MHJ or Hill is on this team ...... I can almost bet on my life that Jones will be looking that way 90% of the time

Doc16LT56

Quote from: killarich on December 26, 2023, 10:04:20 AMOK ..but we still need to build pieces .... If we miss out on QB .... do we just ignore the rest of the offense simply because Jones is the QB ? I dont understand this logic....  If we could get Tyrek Hill for a draft pick do we simply say no because Jones is the QB ?

If they don't get a QB, I don't see how they're in range for Harrison. But assuming they somehow couldn't get a QB but do end up with Harrison, I think he becomes our version of Garrett Wilson, a tremendous talent who is being held back by virtue of his QBs.

I wrote about my thoughts on the rebuild and collecting pieces in another thread. Rather than rehash my thoughts I'll just copy here what I wrote there because I think continuing the Daniel Jones experiment will only keep the team running in place on the hamster wheel.

--

This team seems to be 3 years away every year and it's been that way for over a decade. Things won't change until they find a legitimate QB.

It's ironic that Geno Smith may have been that guy 6 years ago if they had given him a shot. But Gettleman believed Eli just needed another weapon and he bizarrely believed Kyle Lauletta could be the heir apparent. Not that Geno was a great prize, but maybe he would've helped this team get back to respectability.

Now, unless they luck into an elite QB through the draft, they'll continue their decade long game of whack-a-mole with the roster. Use 2 top-10 picks and a 2nd round pick on the OL, and the OL is worse than ever. Invest a top-10 pick on a pass rusher and sign Dex to a huge contract, but the defensive front is only average on a good day. Invest a first round pick on a dynamic WR, then trade him for an aging but formerly elite TE, and still no legitimate #1 target. Grant McAdoo the keys to the kingdom, 2 years later it's Shurmur, 2 years later it's Judge, 2 years later it's Daboll, 2 years later???

This is like being on a hamster wheel. Until they solve the QB position they will continue running in place without getting anywhere.

T200

Quote from: killarich on December 26, 2023, 10:08:36 AMLol I think we are being a little dramatic here...

Jones has multiple factors why the ball isnt thrown....  Both his fault and the O-lines fault

As mentioned his biggest problem is he locks on to one target far too long

If MHJ or Hill is on this team ...... I can almost bet on my life that Jones will be looking that way 90% of the time
No drama here. Just facts. The numbers don't lie. There was a thread a few weeks ago that showed the YPA for each of the three QBs that started this year. Jones was last. Why? Because he doesn't look downfield. He's looking to see where the pressure is coming from.

The ONLY way Jones will be a successful QB for the Giants is to have better protection. Adding an all-world WR does not make Jones a better QB.

Jclayton92

If they don't get a qb in the draft then they need to sign Mayfield, or resign Taylor because I would start either one of them before letting Jones on the field again.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 26, 2023, 11:50:32 AMIf they don't get a qb in the draft then they need to sign Mayfield, or resign Taylor because I would start either one of them before letting Jones on the field again.
I like Taylor but he can't stay healthy.

For me, I'd roll with whichever rookie they draft and DeVito until Jones is healthy. Unfortunately, his salary next year will dictate that he plays with one exception: the rookie or DeVito actually start winning games. The longer the Giants win without Jones, the longer they will wait to put him in.

Jclayton92

Quote from: T200 on December 26, 2023, 11:55:35 AMI like Taylor but he can't stay healthy.

For me, I'd roll with whichever rookie they draft and DeVito until Jones is healthy. Unfortunately, his salary next year will dictate that he plays with one exception: the rookie or DeVito actually start winning games. The longer the Giants win without Jones, the longer they will wait to put him in.
I hope they draft someone but in the event they don't there are a ton of backup level Qbs that can come in and easily outproduce anyone that we have. When guys like O'Connell, Dobbs, Browning, and the elderly Flacco out produce our 40 million dollar Qb it becomes quite alarming.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 26, 2023, 12:41:34 PMI hope they draft someone but in the event they don't there are a ton of backup level Qbs that can come in and easily outproduce anyone that we have. When guys like O'Connell, Dobbs, Browning, and the elderly Flacco out produce our 40 million dollar Qb it becomes quite alarming.
The 40-million-dollar-QB isn't going away until 2025. I don't want to waste money/time/chemistry on a stop-gap QB who will not potentially become the franchise QB. If they don't get a QB in this draft, the potential exists for the next coach after Daboll to be saddled with yet another QB he (the new HC) did not pick. I'm ready to get off that ride.