News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So how do we collect the pieces

Started by killarich, December 25, 2023, 08:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

files58

Most important will Mara look at the Jones example and finally realize loyalty is nice, but it doesn't win football games, AND to stop meddling. He won't though because to the Maras the Giants are the family really cute Golden Doodle. There are the Tischs though. Maybe history will repeat, and there will be another intervention with similar results. Warm up the piper cub.

Torus34

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 26, 2023, 07:30:46 AMWhich of the other 31 NFL teams do you honestly believe will consider with a straight face trading for a middling at best QB who played utterly horribly in his most recent year, is coming off an ACL injury as well as his second serious neck injury, has had multiple other serious injuries, and has a $47mm cap hit in 2024 with a total of $69.3mm in dead cap remaining on his $40mm a year contract?

Hi, DaveBrown74.

I don't think that the New Jersey Giants would realize any large amount of cash from his sale, but any's better than just paying him for the rest of his contract.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Torus34

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 26, 2023, 07:31:03 AMwho is giving up anything for jones coming off an acl and a brutal performance for the few games he did play? its unrealistic. hes going to be qb1 next year with a very short leash.

Hi!

See my answer to DaveBrown74, above.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Torus34 on December 27, 2023, 06:52:40 AMHi, DaveBrown74.

I don't think that the New Jersey Giants would realize any large amount of cash from his sale, but any's better than just paying him for the rest of his contract.

I personally just don't believe anyone will take him. Moreover, I don't think the Giants will try to trade him. Maybe if someone came knocking on the door begging for him and offering a lot they'd do it, but I think there is a 0.0% chance that that happens. And I don't think they will shop him around.

If they were to simply cut Jones after this season, they'd actually save some money on the cap (I think about $12mm), but they'd have like $70mm in dead cap. As above, I think there is a 0.0% chance they do that.

I think Jones will be part of this team next year no matter what. I guess you could make the case that they could try to trade him while eating a large chunk of the contract, but I personally don't see that happening. First off they may not draft a QB this year. Secondly, even if they do, I think the team understands that there are major talent gaps on this team, and they'll want to preserve the option of keeping the rookie QB on ice for some or even all of 2024. That makes the case for keeping an experienced veteran like Jones around, especially given we're shackled to him in 2024 by virtue of the albatross cap hit.

I think when they signed Jones last spring, they knew they were committing to at least two season with him no matter what. That's the way the contract was written. And if they draft a rookie, even a top rookie, I suspect they'll be reluctant to rush him in on week one, so it makes sense to have a veteran around. I think the brief, stagecoach/fairy godmother fantasy of Tommy D being the week one starter next year has turned back into a pumpkin, and I doubt they bring Taylor back either just given his lack of durability. So not only is Jones basically impossible to move, but he might actually be needed as a transitional QB until the rookie is ready. And if we don't draft a QB, then there is definitely no point in getting rid of him unless someone is actually going to take that $47mm cap hit, which there is just zero chance of. Also Jones may not be ready for week one. In fact that is probably more likely than not.

kingm56

Quote from: Torus34 on December 27, 2023, 06:52:40 AMHi, DaveBrown74.

What!?  Are you under the impression that teams 'sell' players under contract?  A team can trade for DJ, but they would assume responsibility for the contract, including all guarantee monies.  The Giants could negotiate to cover a portion of the contract; however, I doubt they will do so as DJ is not negatively impacting the teams culture.  This gets us back to the point; NO team is going to assume responsibility for DJ's contract, even if the Giants choose to cover a portion of the aggregate.   Plus, why would any team trade for a player that will be available next year, for a fraction of the price?