News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can Tommy DeVito be a solid backup QB?

Started by MightyGiants, December 28, 2023, 09:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Can Devito become a solid backup QB in the NFL?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 28, 2023, 09:06:34 AMCan Devito become a solid backup QB in the NFL?

Depends what your definition of ," solid " is . Can he take over a team when their starting QB is out for the season, the answer in my opinion is No?  . Can he come in for a couple of games and not lose the game , probably yes .

T200

I think he's in the mold of Fitzpatrick but not quite magical. He can win a game or two but nothing long term.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

He's still a work in progress and I don't think he's ready at this point. He was showing that he was improving with each opportunity and then he became stagnant and Defenses shut him down. I still maintain that he allowed distractions to affect his focus. He needed to think, eat and sleep Football and nothing else, visualizing every scenario in his mind. Instead and regardless of who was handling the details he got caught up in a media frenzy and may have blown his opportunity.

The short answer is I don't know.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: T200 on December 28, 2023, 09:40:43 AMI think he's in the mold of Fitzpatrick but not quite magical. He can win a game or two but nothing long term.

Fitzpatrick started 147 games in the NFL. That is more than 90% of QBs who ever pass through the league. Tommy will be lucky to get anywhere near that number and a career akin to Charlie Whitehurst or (even better for DeVito) Chase Daniels would be a great success for an undrafted QB.

T200

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 28, 2023, 10:35:32 AMFitzpatrick started 147 games in the NFL. That is more than 90% of QBs who ever pass through the league. Tommy will be lucky to get anywhere near that number and a career akin to Charlie Whitehurst or (even better for DeVito) Chase Daniels would be a great success for an undrafted QB.
Good points. I didn't consider the amount of games Fitz started. I was looking at it from the standpoint of both of them coming in and giving their teams a shot of adrenaline. Tommy's shots wore off faster than Fitz's  :yes:  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 28, 2023, 10:40:32 AMGood points. I didn't consider the amount of games Fitz started. I was looking at it from the standpoint of both of them coming in and giving their teams a shot of adrenaline. Tommy's shots wore off faster than Fitz's  :yes:  :laugh:
Fitz, the Buster Mathis of QB's. Great for three rounds and then fizzles.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 11:24:22 AMFitz, the Buster Mathis of QB's. Great for three rounds and then fizzles.
And that's exactly what TD Tommy did... three wins and out!

BluesCruz

What is a solid back up QB?

Tommy has already proven he can be a solid starter albiet small sample size

Does a solid back up QB have to possess more that a solid starter ie. patience and ready to go at any moment?

I for one would have loved to have seen him finish this season with a real play caller, not named Kafka

Not wishing ill will on anyone odds are TT will be back on the bench again based upon his injury history.

I doubt TT will be back next year. But who knows
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 28, 2023, 09:06:34 AMCan Devito become a solid backup QB in the NFL?

Can he? Yes. Backups really just need to be game managers who are reasonably not error prone, and he has shown he has it in him to do that.

Will he? I really don't know yet. He was pretty bad the last six quarters, and in general he has been very shaky against good defenses. Obviously he's a rookie though and still very inexperienced in the NFL game. I need more data to say with real confidence if he actually will or not. I suspect he won't make the final 53 at the end of camp though and the Giants will gamble on him not being claimed off waivers by anyone else.

Ed Vette

Completion %        Success %        Yards/Avg        YAC      QB Rating     Yards/Game
63.6                           32.5                   6.2                 9.7          88.9              135.9

64.3                          42.8                   6.6                 10.2        85.2               208.5

Pretty close but the second QB is slightly better. So if Jones according to you isn't a solid starter, you lose all credibility by touting that DeVito has "already proven he can be a solid starter". Confirmation Bias.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Anything is possible in the NFL but is it likely as compared to hopefully?

Are we talking "solid" as in as good or better than Tyrod Taylor? Is that not currently the nearest and clearest comparison to make? Or are we going to start searching through the annals for a defining model? Yeezis!

Perhaps, we should relax our efforts until we learn, following FA, the Draft, OTAs, and the rest of the Preseason cockadoodle, who will have their names penciled in as QB uno, due, or tre on the rota.

Cheers!

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 12:15:59 PMCompletion %        Success %        Yards/Avg        YAC      QB Rating     Yards/Game
63.6                           32.5                   6.2                 9.7          88.9              135.9

64.3                          42.8                   6.6                 10.2        85.2               208.5

Pretty close but the second QB is slightly better. So if Jones according to you isn't a solid starter, you lose all credibility by touting that DeVito has "already proven he can be a solid starter". Confirmation Bias.

Game victories and Passing TDs put DeVito ahead by a mile....just sayin.  also as a rookie his ceiling is undefined
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 28, 2023, 01:11:20 PMGame victories and Passing TDs put DeVito ahead by a mile....just sayin.  also as a rookie his ceiling is undefined
Nope, DJ had 24 TD's his rookie season and a 5.2 TD % compared to DT's 4.5%.The Eagles were on their way to shellacking TD in an embarrassing loss. He surely would have lost the last two games. He can't stand in the pocket and deliver a pass because he's too short so he's forced to the sidelines. He can't hit Jalin Hyatt deep because he needs to set up perfectly to throw a deep pass. He missed several open receivers this past game because he holds the ball too long just like Jones. He's more agile in the Pocket but he's slow-footed compared to Jones who had 1900 yards rushing and 13 Touchdowns to add to his passing TD's.

TD hasn't proven anything other than he was a flash in the pan with a gimmick, while spending a lot of time cashing in on his 15 minutes of fame instead of preparing for the Eagles. Contrary to DJ who is the first one in and the last one out of the building and the farthest thing from an attention whore. While Daniel Jones has impeccable character.

I like my fellow Paisan but he needs to put in a lot more work and a lot more time before he can be considered a starter in this league, let alone a Backup. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm saying he's proven to be a work in progress.

And this Ed, is why you get your balls broken by knowledgeable Members of this Group who care about the integrity of the site and the quality of the content. Love the enthusiasm, lose the baseless hype. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin