News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants NOW

Started by LennG, December 31, 2023, 04:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I know we need players, but if this was the same team that started the year, would we be talking about a very low draft pick?
This team has played much better as the season wears on. Too bad the first half was wasted on Jones and his 4-yard dump-offs. I fully realize Taylor isn't the future, but he stays in there, and 'what' has time to throw deep balls and even 'gulp' complete some.

This season there were just too many duds to even talk competitiveness, and our QBs are still getting sacked, but these last two show that there is time to pass and WRs do get open, just like on all other teams.

This was what I wanted for the second half of the season, play highly competitive football and lose at the end.

We ened a QB desperately.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

We have ZERO QB's capable of playing consistently winning football.

At this point if we cannot land a top QB in the draft, assuming the Bears want to upgrade, I'd give up our 2nd for Justin Fields, and then draft a QB in the mid-rounds.

I'm not even sure if those are good moves, I just know that our entire QB room needs to be cleaned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

T200

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on December 31, 2023, 05:14:06 PMWe have ZERO QB's capable of playing consistently winning football.

At this point if we cannot land a top QB in the draft, assuming the Bears want to upgrade, I'd give up our 2nd for Justin Fields, and then draft a QB in the mid-rounds.

I'm not even sure if those are good moves, I just know that our entire QB room needs to be cleaned out.

But... we have three backup QBs who can win a few games.

The key for the coaching staff is knowing which QB to start each week!  =))
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Lenn, few here realize that Tyrod could have had over 400 yards. Bobby Skinner counted the lost yards. 32 yards on the Hyatt drop, 47 yards to Hyatt taken away with a penalty, drops by Saquon and Shepard.

If they can get a solid QB in the draft, things can turn around. I'd sign TT as a backup but they can't afford it. They have to carry Jones who nobody will want. So Tommy Salami stays until Jones returns.

Now if they don't draft a QB, I may just go to the dark side. How 'bout dem Cowboys!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

When u watch this Browning it's apparent we don't have a QB remotely close. I've gotten hammered here in the past for pointing out the Madden mantra of "looking off the safety" but so far Romo has pointed it out 3x that Browning is doing it perfectly and it makes a difference. Unfortunately Jones can't (or at this point refuses to) do this. And that is the difference.

If a stud QB is there in draft we better go get him. And fire some of these coaches please.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 31, 2023, 05:17:52 PMLenn, few here realize that Tyrod could have had over 400 yards. Bobby Skinner counted the lost yards. 32 yards on the Hyatt drop, 47 yards to Hyatt taken away with a penalty, drops by Saquon and Shepard.

If they can get a solid QB in the draft, things can turn around. I'd sign TT as a backup but they can't afford it. They have to carry Jones who nobody will want. So Tommy Salami stays until Jones returns.

Now if they don't draft a QB, I may just go to the dark side. How 'bout dem Cowboys!
We wouldn't even give you Emeritus status!  :boooo:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

londonblue

How many foundational players (good age, established or trending upwards) do we have?

On O:

Thomas
Robinson
Bellinger (despite a bad day)
Hyatt potentially
JMS potentially
Slayton if I really stretch the definition

On D:
Thibodeaux (despite inconsistent effort)
Dex
Okereke
McFadden potentially
Banks
Pinnock potentially
Flott potentially

Barkley, McKinney contract status and under-performing excluded them for me.

It is hard to conclude we are close to being a good team when you apply this lens. We are short of foundational pieces to win both LoS and we are short of explosive playmakers on both sides of the ball. QB may be the biggest hole but it is far from the only one.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

LennG

Again, I said we need players, but the point I was trying to make is that a quarterback can make a huge difference. With Jones back there it really seemed that the team had absolutely no energy. Then Tommy comes in with all his energy and what, we win 3 games. Tommy leaves and old Tyrod comes back but he also brings a certain energy with him. we are still losing but the games are interesting and we stayed glued to the TV. Imagine what a good new QB can bring to this team.
It has been discussed that we still need this and that, for sure, but we have seen teams turn around instantly with the addition of a REAL QB, some who CAN make plays. The Giants need help, but with a winning attitude and a good QB to rally behind, we can be a threat to the league even next year. (If we bench Jones).
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

andrew_nyGiants

The differences between Tommy & Tyrod:

Tommy was afraid to throw downfield vs the Jets and Eagles because of their interior pass rush.

Tyrod was not afraid to throw downfield vs the Eagles.

Tommy was decisive on his runs and threw to the lead side of his receivers allowing for YAC.

Tyrod was timid with his arm and legs (save for 1, 20 yard run trying to salvage the game he just blew with the 2 point pass.

Tommy protected the football

Tyrod didn't

At the end of the day one is a lifetime back with years of experience and the other is a back-up with 4.5 regular season games under his belt.

Neither are qualified to lead a team to a division championship leave alone deep into the playoffs.

DJ is toast here for many reasons and if he starts more than 3 games next year he will probably earn the title of coach killer because Daboll will almost certainly be gone and that'll be 3 HC's during DJ's tenure.

IN SHORT: We need to clean out the QB room and start over.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Philosophers

We need:

1) QB

2) OL Coach

3) 1-2 FA OL starters

4) Starting RB who can catch passes

5) WR - Big, tall, fast

6) TE who can do everything who is a downfield threat.

Fast Eddie Felson

Quote from: londonblue on December 31, 2023, 05:40:58 PMHow many foundational players (good age, established or trending upwards) do we have?

On O:

Thomas
Robinson
Bellinger (despite a bad day)
Hyatt potentially
JMS potentially
Slayton if I really stretch the definition

On D:
Thibodeaux (despite inconsistent effort)
Dex
Okereke
McFadden potentially
Banks
Pinnock potentially
Flott potentially

Barkley, McKinney contract status and under-performing excluded them for me.

It is hard to conclude we are close to being a good team when you apply this lens. We are short of foundational pieces to win both LoS and we are short of explosive playmakers on both sides of the ball. QB may be the biggest hole but it is far from the only one.
Bellinger couldn`t block a blitzing DB without holding him. Glad when he`s replaced.

DaveBrown74

If there is any relative positive to come out of this season, it is that reality has finally set in about our QB situation. It is now abundantly obvious to everyone that the QB of this franchise's future is not presently part of the organization. Four months ago, if one were to have made such a claim, he would have been termed a "hater" by a significant portion of the fan base. That is not the case anymore, clearly.

I suspect this dose of reality has been absorbed inside the building too. I would say it's a step in a better direction.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 31, 2023, 05:17:52 PMLenn, few here realize that Tyrod could have had over 400 yards. Bobby Skinner counted the lost yards. 32 yards on the Hyatt drop, 47 yards to Hyatt taken away with a penalty, drops by Saquon and Shepard.

When I see Tyrod I am reminded of what coach Boone (paraphrased) said to Sunshine: you can throw the ball 60 yards but you can't make a 5 yard completion.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Torus34

Let's get the QB issue settled. At the end of the regular season, the only thing that matters for a team is the number of games won. There have been 5 Giant wins. Who won how many? 'Nuf said.

Just as if not more important is team discipline. That means that players have to play their position according to the rules of the game*. One of the rules deals with holding. It's rather well-defined. Using yesterday's game as an example, what would the score have been if there were no Giant holding penalties?

Happy New Year! Go flag-free, Big Blue!

* Yeah, yeah. I know. If the opposition's receiver is about to make an almost guaranteed catch and has nothing between him and the Promised Land but people-free greensward, . . . ' That exception proves [Ed.: 'proves' originally, meant 'tests',] the rule.

TDToomer

I feel like everyone is ignoring the 2nd biggest flaw on this team after the OLine. Piss poor tackling. It seems like the D is allergic to completing a tackle with a full grasp of the player and playing to the whistle. The Adoree Jackson sad attempt to just push Nakua out of bounds signifies this problem. Why aren't our defensive players being taught to tackle with their arms and just try to know the player down with their shoulders? Am I the only one noticing this?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs