News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Rumor: Kenny Pickett refused to back-up Mason Rudolph

Started by DaveBrown74, January 01, 2024, 10:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Madden posted on X this afternoon that a source told him, "Pickett 100 percent refused to be the backup."

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/01/pittsburgh-steelers-kenny-pickett-refused-backup-mason-rudolph-nfl/

If true, I think this is a terrible look for Pickett.

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 02, 2024, 02:43:15 PMis Pickett any good?

I was never a big fan of his as a prospect, and I don't think he has done anything as a pro to this point to suggest he is, no.

I think he's capable enough to be in the league and at worst will net out as a high-end backup, but I don't see him as a franchise-changing type player.

With that said it's only his second year, but these days most very good QBs show convincing signs of development in the second year. He has six passing TDs on the season, and it's not like that offense has no weapons.

TDToomer

The better question is how did Tomlin not know what he had in Mason Rudolph who was once the heir apparent to Big Ben? Why was he behind Tribusky on the depth chart? The same guy who couldn't beat out Rudolph after they drafted him.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 02, 2024, 04:31:52 PMThe better question is how did Tomlin not know what he had in Mason Rudolph who was once the heir apparent to Big Ben? Why was he behind Tribusky on the depth chart? The same guy who couldn't beat out Rudolph after they drafted him.

It's not like Rudolph has never played before this. He started half the season in 2019, and he has played intermittently since then. I'm not sure how fair it is to go entirely off these last two starts and ignore all the past data. Plus he has been in practices with them all this time not to mention preseason games.

He might just be a later bloomer like Geno though. Who really knows. I kind of doubt he maintains this high a level of play over the longer haul, but who am I to say it's impossible. I think we need to see more than 2 games to say he's a totally different QB than what he has been this whole time though.

Painter

Whether or not the Steelers ever expected Rudolph, who they drafted in Round 3 in 2018 as the 6th QB taken that year, to succeed Ben Roethlisberger is anyone's guess and was a rather moot point by the time Big Ben announced his retirement 4 years later. Prior to the 2022 season not only did the Steelers add Mitch Trubisky originally a Bears No.1 pick, but they also went ahead and Drafted Kenny Pickett in Round 1(20). Rudolph then became No.3 on the DC.

Now, however, with Trubisky a failure and Pickett having missed a couple of recent games while Rudolph delivered critical wins the past two weeks, it seems reasonable for Tomlin to ride with him this next and last regular season game in which a 10th win will clinch a place in the playoffs.

Whatever may or may not be Pickett's disposition is of no immediate consequence now or for the 2024 season.

Cheers!

TDToomer

Quote from: Painter on January 02, 2024, 07:54:24 PMWhether or not the Steelers ever expected Rudolph, who they drafted in Round 3 in 2018 as the 6th QB taken that year, to succeed Ben Roethlisberger is anyone's guess and was a rather moot point by the time Big Ben announced his retirement 4 years later. Prior to the 2022 season not only did the Steelers add Mitch Trubisky originally a Bears No.1 pick, but they also went ahead and Drafted Kenny Pickett in Round 1(20). Rudolph then became No.3 on the DC.

Now, however, with Trubisky a failure and Pickett having missed a couple of recent games while Rudolph delivered critical wins the past two weeks, it seems reasonable for Tomlin to ride with him this next and last regular season game in which a 10th win will clinch a place in the playoffs.

Whatever may or may not be Pickett's disposition is of no immediate consequence now or for the 2024 season.

Cheers!

That is all true but my question is why didn't Tomlin have Rudolph as the #2 all along? Why are they paying Tribisky more than Tyrod when he isn't good enough to backup?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 03, 2024, 01:32:16 PMThat is all true but my question is why didn't Tomlin have Rudolph as the #2 all along? Why are they paying Tribisky more than Tyrod when he isn't good enough to backup?

Clearly they made a mistake. I think it's as simple as that.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 01, 2024, 10:09:21 PMMadden posted on X this afternoon that a source told him, "Pickett 100 percent refused to be the backup."

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/01/pittsburgh-steelers-kenny-pickett-refused-backup-mason-rudolph-nfl/

If true, I think this is a terrible look for Pickett.

What a silly rumor. I'm sure Pickett is pissed with the possibility of being demoted but how does one refuse to be demoted? Are they suggesting that he's refusing to give up the starters reps in practice or that he'll take it upon himself to run out on the field with the starters on game day and refuse to leave? Such a move would be nothing short of career suicide and the resulting suspension would make him as untouchable as Kapernick. It's nothing more than idiots spinning up non-existent drama for clicks.

TDToomer

Quote from: madbadger on January 03, 2024, 02:03:21 PMWhat a silly rumor. I'm sure Pickett is pissed WTH the possibility of being demoted but how does one refuse to be demoted? Are they suggesting that he's refusing to give up the starters reps in practice or that he'll take it upon himself to run out on the field with the starters on game day and refuse to leave? Such a move would be nothing short of career suicide and the resulting suspension would make him as untouchable as Kapernick. It's nothing more than idiots spinning up non-existent drama for clicks.
Sound similar to the Zach Wilson refusing the be a starter again rumor. Pure BS.