News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tankathon Mock draft

Started by MightyGiants, January 02, 2024, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 02, 2024, 12:53:42 PMThat's one group.  There's another group that has very strong feelings that he is the best prospect in a long time. 

It's also worth noting how the 7 actual GMs thought of CW, which was quite highly
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

You don't pass on a potential talent like Williams. Draft Williams first, then use your other high first rounder for a playmaker or olineman. Have Williams and Fields fight for the starting position unless of course the Bears already know Fields has peaked. Then trade Fields.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

katkavage

Quote from: sooners56 on January 02, 2024, 01:03:37 PMYou don't pass on a potential talent like Williams. Draft Williams first, then use your other high first rounder for a playmaker or olineman. Have Williams and Fields fight for the starting position unless of course the Bears already know Fields has peaked. Then trade Fields.
If they draft Wiliams they will do everything in their power to trade Fields.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 02, 2024, 12:37:01 PMSometimes the gamble is continuing to pass on players. Fields doesn't get over the hump, you don't want to be the guys that passed on both Stroud and Caleb Williams."
Yeah, I don't see how sticking with Fields would be less of a gamble than drafting Caleb. They're making a choice either way. Doing nothing at the QB position is a choice with consequences.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 02, 2024, 12:06:18 PMTrue. But I think the premium to move a few spots is going to be disproportionate. Giants have so many holes to fill I have a hard time seeing them putting things together long-term without keeping--if not increasing--their draft capital. Of course Schoen and Co. may find a particular prospect worth that risk.

Totally fair take, and not one I would argue with, except to say basically what you said at the end: if they happen to covet a particular QB prospect and have as high a conviction view as one can that said prospect will be elite in the NFL, then it's totally plausible to me they could deem that worthy of paying up for.

Given a great QB can be a 15 year (or more) investment, hurting yourself a bit for the subsequent two years draft-capital wise, while not in any way meaningless, is more than justified if you get that pick right. It goes without saying there is major risk involved too, but the cost of settling for long term mediocrity and never taking a shot on one of these top QB prospects is arguably higher.

T200

Quote from: katkavage on January 02, 2024, 12:40:12 PMIf they think Williams is that good, then it is a no-brainer. If you listen the the scouts on this board, because he hugged and cried to his mother after a loss, there's no way you would take him. So there's that. I see little reminders of 2004 when the Chargers traded Brees to get Rivers.

Quote from: katkavage on January 02, 2024, 12:35:00 PMEasy for them to day. They aren't making the decision. It's a huge risk in many ways.

So you have 2 groups on either side of the discussion, but neither is making the pick. Do you lean on the experience of those who have had to make the decisions previously, or thise who have never done it?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

The Bears have until May 3rd to exercise Fields 5th-year option. He won't even have 3000 yards this season and never did in the NFL. 40 TD's to 30 Interceptions. They should pass on the 5th year option and keep him another season for the $6 million. It's Tyrod Taylor Money. If the Rookie starts mid-season, they can trade or let his contract expire and get a comp pick. I don't see him fetching more than a second anyway. If they believe in him, they can exercise the option.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Uni

I'm starting to warm to the idea of taking Rome Odunze or MHJ if he slips a spot with the first round pick and taking McCarthy or Penix in the second if there's no way to trade up for one of the top three QB.

I know Ed would rather have Nix at that spot.

Jclayton92

I think the bears draft the clear cut HOF prospect in Marv and pair him with Moore. Fields has been the entire offense. I'd likely take fields over Williams. Fields has a better makeup but I'm hoping the Giants grab Daniels.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Uni on January 02, 2024, 04:03:09 PMI'm starting to warm to the idea of taking Rome Odunze or MHJ if he slips a spot with the first round pick and taking McCarthy or Penix in the second if there's no way to trade up for one of the top three QB.

I know Ed would rather have Nix at that spot.
Just between you and me, I believe Bo Nix and Penix are the most NFL ready QB's in this draft. Bo has even been in other units coaching rooms sharing his input. His football IQ is very high. Solid arm and makes all the throws even across his body on the run, reads the field and the Defense well, a high level leader and motivator and an all team player. He was the only QB who didn't need a Bowl game but did it for his teammates and because he wanted to go out a winner. Just between you and me.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 02, 2024, 07:04:25 PMJust between you and me, I believe Bo Nix and Penix are the most NFL ready QB's in this draft. Bo has even been in other units coaching rooms sharing his input. His football IQ is very high. Solid arm and makes all the throws even across his body on the run, reads the field and the Defense well, a high level leader and motivator and an all team player. He was the only QB who didn't need a Bowl game but did it for his teammates and because he wanted to go out a winner. Just between you and me.
I might agree. Though NFL ready might not mean franchise or elite. They both are extremely accurate passers.

LennG

I know our desperate need for OL help but I would cringe at taking an OL at #1 when we so desperately need a QB. We have 2 #2s and I would use them for help on the OL. Look what happened the last time we used a very high pick for Neal.
We need playmakers--desperately.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 02, 2024, 07:04:25 PMJust between you and me, I believe Bo Nix and Penix are the most NFL ready QB's in this draft. Bo has even been in other units coaching rooms sharing his input. His football IQ is very high. Solid arm and makes all the throws even across his body on the run, reads the field and the Defense well, a high level leader and motivator and an all team player. He was the only QB who didn't need a Bowl game but did it for his teammates and because he wanted to go out a winner. Just between you and me.
Everyone else can see your private conversation  :doh:

Doesn't Penix have a history of knee problems? I can't agree with drafting a player who has a significant injury profile.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on January 02, 2024, 10:28:46 PMEveryone else can see your private conversation  :doh:

Doesn't Penix have a history of knee problems? I can't agree with drafting a player who has a significant injury profile.

Two ACLs already.

Buyer beware.

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on January 02, 2024, 10:28:46 PMEveryone else can see your private conversation  :doh:

You see, this is why you shouldn't read other people's conversations. Have you no scruples? ;)

I never said they should draft Penix. I said he and Bo were the most NFL ready. Now between you and me, I think the Giants should consider Nix and depending on how high they are, they may be able to trade down, get Nix and a Receiver and an Olineman by their first round two pick. Lots of Receivers in this Draft. Mum's the word.

As for Penix, is there any evidence to support that a player with 2 ACL's would be susceptible to a third? He's not runner. I guess you're thinking injury prone.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin