News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jets release Dalvin Cook

Started by LennG, January 02, 2024, 07:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jets-release-dalvin-cook-after-signing-him-as-highest-paid-free-agent-running-back-this-offseason/ar-AA1mn83z

Would it be a bad move to sign him and then try and trade Barkley? Cook is an excellent RB who just never fit into the Jets system. I don't think he would be a big drop-off from Barkley.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on January 02, 2024, 07:43:29 PMhttps://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jets-release-dalvin-cook-after-signing-him-as-highest-paid-free-agent-running-back-this-offseason/ar-AA1mn83z

Would it be a bad move to sign him and then try and trade Barkley? Cook is an excellent RB who just never fit into the Jets system. I don't think he would be a big drop-off from Barkley.

I watch my share of Jets games. Cook looked shot to me. Lost his burst. He's at the age. Turns 29 in August. His career as one of the league's top runners is over.

EDjohnst1981

BluesCruz

Quote from: LennG on January 02, 2024, 07:43:29 PMhttps://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jets-release-dalvin-cook-after-signing-him-as-highest-paid-free-agent-running-back-this-offseason/ar-AA1mn83z

I just spit out my coffee "Drop off from Barkley"???? 

Can he catch a football with his HANDS (not his stomach) while running?  That would make him an upgrade
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 02, 2024, 10:37:54 PMI watch my share of Jets games. Cook looked shot to me. Lost his burst. He's at the age. Turns 29 in August. His career as one of the league's top runners is over.

He had 5 straight years of Tiki Barber like performance before joining Jets
How does one lose that in 6-8 months of off season?

Odd
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 03, 2024, 07:21:51 AMHe had 5 straight years of Tiki Barber like performance before joining Jets
How does one lose that in 6-8 months of off season?

Odd

Running backs age out faster than other positions. Most (not every single one but most) begin to decline around the 27/28 threshold.

Expecting a 29 year old Dalvin Cook to be materially additive to our team in 2024 seems like a poor bet to me. Even if his cost is way down to something like $3-$4m, why do that instead of drafting a day two or even early day three guy for about 1/3 or 1/4 of that cost who will have fresh legs and be more explosive? The learning curve for the RB position from college to NFL is close to immediate.

I have said it before but we need to get away from this habit of signing these washed up, old running backs like Dion Lewis, Davonte Booker, Jonathan Stewart, Devonte Freeman, Matt Breida. We need younger, healthier, and more explosive backs. Not to mention who will be cheaper than even those washed up guys. This is how smarter and more successful teams than us approach the position. Are we going to adapt to that, or do we want to continue to be a dumping ground for washed up old guys who add almost zero value and are just here to collect a paycheck for another year or two before retirement?