News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Incredibly Del Shofner is still on the NFL WR Leader Board

Started by BluesCruz, January 03, 2024, 07:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

for a one game achievement

Shofner had 269 Yds Against the Wash Redskins in 1962
(Del was smooth as glass with hands of steel)

Tying him with Tyreek Hill for spot #14

Even more incredible is Jim Benton of the Rams who in 1945 went for 303 yds

Flipper Anderson is #1 at 336 yds in one game.  Last time I saw him he was running straight through the tunnel after destroying our season in one play

What this Puka Nacua kid did in shedding that tackle is what he is famous for- shedding tackles.  You would think we would have warned our DBs to wrap him up and forget swatting at the ball. One scout described him as a virtual Larry Csonka once he has the ball in his hands.  Explosive runner
incredible hand eye co-ordination and hand strength

Another scout called him another Debo Samuel.  I wonder if he was even on our draft board
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

BluesCruz

Looks like few members remember Shofner. You guys are making me feel old :'(

Bob In PA

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 03, 2024, 08:01:08 AMLooks like few members remember Shofner. You guys are making me feel old :'(
BC: Now you'll get a host of notes like this telling you that I remember him well.  lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kartanoman

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

BluesCruz

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 03, 2024, 08:21:46 AMBC: Now you'll get a host of notes like this telling you that I remember him well.  lol

Hi Bob. Happy and Properous New Year!

I can still see Shofner making those cuts for the down and out to the sideline
Ball waiting for him when he got to that spot.  It was Auto Matic

You dont see that pass as much anymore

There were so many players from that era I'd love to have back.
Joe Morrison, Alex Webster (met him at his bar in Spring Lake NJ), the whole Oline, Stroud (met him too as a waiter in NJ, his back muscules looked like two slabs of beef, Rosie Brown, Rosie Greer, Wytecha, Sam Huff (hated Sherman for trading Huff), Homer Jones, and on and on