News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Phil Simms calls Pennix the best college thrower he has ever seen

Started by MightyGiants, January 04, 2024, 08:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 05, 2024, 09:55:09 AMTotally agree. They should be more subtle with their smoke-screens. If I'm an NFL team that's interested in Penix, and I read something like this, it just makes me think he's going to be even harder to get. Putting something like this out a few days after the guy has an historic game is idiotic from a strategy standpoint.

I will expand further on my comment.

Teams get their first medical reports from the Combine (many teams and execs will tell you the medicals are the most important thing from the Combine).   Teams will send their doctors, who will examine all the prospects and generate reports to be shared with all the teams.

Beyond that, teams will have visits, which often involve extra medical examinations.  Based on the Combine data, you will often have the team's medical people reaching out to prospect's teams and care providers for more information if there are medical concerns, and there are also some players, after so many weeks, who are brought back for a second Combine medical.

In terms of GMs and Scouts, they don't really get involved in the medicals.  They work independently of the medical people and work to generate the boards.  After all the medical information has been gathered, there is usually a meeting with the people scouting and will be doing the drafting and the medical people.  It is at this point in time boards are adjusted.  I have heard former GMs lament how they dread the medical day because they remember losing a prospect (because he was removed from the board) who they liked.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

All I can tell you about ACL repairs is a lifetime of swelling and achiness.  The swelling makes the knee stiff.  With two ACL surgeries Penix may have an NFL career filled with those moments after certain hits and may miss games.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on January 05, 2024, 10:58:22 AMAll I can tell you about ACL repairs is a lifetime of swelling and achiness.  The swelling makes the knee stiff.  With two ACL surgeries Penix may have an NFL career filled with those moments after certain hits and may miss games.

Medical science has come a long way in terms of how they treat torn ACLs.  When did you get yours repaired?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 05, 2024, 11:00:26 AMMedical science has come a long way in terms of how they treat torn ACLs.  When did you get yours repaired?

1990 for one knee and 2007 for the other knee.

I agree Rich that the procedure continues to advance along with the rehab.  That said, the joint is still prone from what I've read recently with continued periodic fluid buildup.  I dont think they've solved that problem.

sooners56

If the Giants draft Penix they better keep Slayton around. Him and Hyatt would be beneficiaries of drafting Penix as Penix had a beautifully accurate deep ball.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: sooners56 on January 05, 2024, 12:05:24 PMIf the Giants draft Penix they better keep Slayton around. Him and Hyatt would be beneficiaries of drafting Penix as Penix had a beautifully accurate deep ball.

I couldn't help but notice his throws. Perfect spirals, no ducks, doesn't need a ton of height to throw it 50 - 60 yards. Hence, my previous comparison to Warren Moon, who threw - perhaps - the most beautiful ball I've ever seen thrown. The better QBs can throw a ball 60 yards. When they used to have the "QB Challenge" from 1993 to 2005, some QBs threw over 70 yards. Cunningham topped the list at 76 yds https://www.topendsports.com/sport/gridiron/longest-throw.htm Judging by what I saw in Pennix throws, he could match that

According to an article in the New York Times, Moon has been documented throwing the ball 80 yds several times (just distance, not passer to receiver in a game) because he put so much spin on the ball and also used his entire body to uncurl from his feet to his head in order to load up his arm (the arm being the least important part of throwing a football...well, except the hand that puts the spin on the ball being part of the arm)

https://www.nfl.com/videos/huddle-flow-warren-moon-shares-how-he-could-throw-a-perfect-spiral
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

TDToomer

Seems like Penix will fall out of the 1st round as teams will be scared of the slot value and 5th year option. He probably needs to go to the a perfect situation where he has fast receivers and a great OL. In other words he is not an option for the Giants because of the later. Backing up someone like Prescott or Mahomes would be where he could wind up. Maybe the Vikings to groom him to take over for Cousins at some point.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on January 05, 2024, 01:30:56 PMSeems like Penix will fall out of the 1st round as teams will be scared of the slot value and 5th year option. He probably needs to go to the a perfect situation where he has fast receivers and a great OL. In other words he is not an option for the Giants because of the later. Backing up someone like Prescott or Mahomes would be where he could wind up. Maybe the Vikings to groom him to take over for Cousins at some point.

At this point, I really don't see any reason to think Penix will not be drafted in round one.

Quote"I don't know if I've ever seen a college kid throw the ball better in a game than what I saw from Penix," ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky said Tuesday on the "Pat McAfee Show." "It was just perfect throw after perfect throw."

Penix, the Heisman runner-up, was so good against Texas that he had many rethinking their initial impressions of UW's left-handed QB.

That included some NFL talent evaluators, one of whom said he could see Penix emerge as a top-10 prospect entering the NFL draft in April.

"I have him high on my board. Very high," one AFC scout told The Times.

Longtime NFL executive Randy Mueller agreed.

"He is much more polished than people realized," Mueller said in an interview this past week. "He's asked to do a lot in that offense — all the shifts and motions and protections. And all that stuff he's going to have to do in the NFL, so it's good stuff for scouts to see."

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/michael-penix-jr-rising-very-high-on-nfl-draft-boards-after-dazzling-sugar-bowl-performance/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

1st point: I love the way Pennix throws the ball, but even more than that, the way he competes. He's persevered through a lot of adversity and is now on the verge of a National Championship.

A lot to like here!

2nd point: addressing the OL conversation.

Just as a team must build a culture to grow into a consistent winner....the same applies to position groups. It is my opinion that we have drafted and even signed some very good talent to begin building an offensive line.

But like the team, you put a solid player who needs to develop next to a player with bad habits...then the OL Coach is either not holding everyone accountable and/or not developing the player properly...it's going to appear that this is a talentless group when in reality it just needs a better culture and another piece or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 05, 2024, 01:46:42 PMAt this point, I really don't see any reason to think Penix will not be drafted in round one.

I'm less convinced of that. Two ACLs on the same knee and two separate shoulder injuries before he was even 22? I appreciate one can point out that he has had two healthy, highly productive years back to back, and I would agree that that strengthens his case considerably, but at an absolute minimum it seems fair to say that, so far, he appears to be a very injury-prone player. If I'm thinking about drafting him, I'd want some sort of discount on him relative to where he would be going if he hadn't had all these injuries. I know you're familiar with the "hurt guys stay hurt" adage. Maybe he'll be the exception to that rule, but am I spending a top 10 or top 15 pick to find out? I don't know that I would. It would take some convincing from unbiased medical professionals who have examined him to get me to even consider that.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 05, 2024, 02:25:21 PMI'm less convinced of that. Two ACLs on the same knee and two separate shoulder injuries before he was even 22? I appreciate one can point out that he has had two healthy, highly productive years back to back, and I would agree that that strengthens his case considerably, but at an absolute minimum it seems fair to say that, so far, he appears to be a very injury-prone player. If I'm thinking about drafting him, I'd want some sort of discount on him relative to where he would be going if he hadn't had all these injuries. I know you're familiar with the "hurt guys stay hurt" adage. Maybe he'll be the exception to that rule, but am I spending a top 10 or top 15 pick to find out? I don't know that I would. It would take some convincing from unbiased medical professionals who have examined him to get me to even consider that.

I appreciate the hurt guys get hurt axiom and agree with it.  I am also mindful that there are guys who did shake the injury bug after an early rough start (like Phil Simms, for example) who go on to have long, productive careers.

I laid out how the medical side of things would go.   I am still early in the QB evaluation process (waiting to see what our final draft position will be).  At this point, it seems like Penix has demonstrated elite-level talent and ability.   

With 32 teams, unless something serious turns up in his medical exams, it's highly unlikely every team will take them off their board or lower his draft position by round(s) because of medical.  Some will, but not all. 

Seems to me there are way too many teams needing or in desperate need of a QB that they will just let a QB prospect with elite abilities just pass them by.

Remember RB Todd Gurley tore his ACL late in his college career, and he was still drafted 10th overall and at the position of RB.  Do you really think none of the teams in the NFL would purchase a first-round lottery ticket at the most important position in the NFL?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 05, 2024, 02:25:21 PMI'm less convinced of that. Two ACLs on the same knee and two separate shoulder injuries before he was even 22? I appreciate one can point out that he has had two healthy, highly productive years back to back, and I would agree that that strengthens his case considerably, but at an absolute minimum it seems fair to say that, so far, he appears to be a very injury-prone player. If I'm thinking about drafting him, I'd want some sort of discount on him relative to where he would be going if he hadn't had all these injuries. I know you're familiar with the "hurt guys stay hurt" adage. Maybe he'll be the exception to that rule, but am I spending a top 10 or top 15 pick to find out? I don't know that I would. It would take some convincing from unbiased medical professionals who have examined him to get me to even consider that.

Consider Tua who was drafted 5th overall and his college injury history

— March 2018: During a spring practice before his first full season as Alabama's starter, Tagovailoa hits a lineman's helmet while throwing a pass and suffers a broken left index finger. The injury requires a quick surgery, but he misses no practice time.

— October 2018: Tagovailoa tweaks his knee during a win over Missouri. It's later revealed that he suffered a knee sprain, but he misses no time and is back in the lineup the following week against Tennessee.

— November 2018: During a late-season game against Mississippi State, Tagovailoa in the third quarter takes a hit to his left quad, the same leg of his knee injury a month prior. He sits out the rest of the game, an Alabama win, and returns the following week against The Citadel.

— December 2018: In the fourth quarter of the SEC championship game against Georgia, Alabama left tackle Jonah Williams accidentally steps on Tagovailoa's right ankle and causes an injury. Tagovailoa sits out the rest of the game and eventually has a tightrope procedure performed on his ankle so he can return for the College Football Playoff.

— October 2019: Tagovailoa suffers another right ankle injury, this time a high ankle sprain during a win over Tennessee. He again opts to undergo a tightrope procedure for a quick recovery. He misses one game (a win over Arkansas) before returning to start in Alabama's loss to LSU.

— November 2019: Toward the end of the first half of a blowout win against Mississippi State, Tagovailoa suffers the nasty hip injury that prematurely ends his college career.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 05, 2024, 02:35:28 PMDo you really think none of the teams in the NFL would purchase a first-round lottery ticket at the most important position in the NFL?

I didn't say that or anything like that. I said I am less convinced, which means I am uncertain. I also said I would need some convincing about his health prospects to take him top 10 or top 15.

Penix could certainly go in the first round, but I am not positive that will happen. Teams might get spooked about the injuries. I saw mock after mock predicting Ojulari to go in the 12-22 type range in the 2021 draft, and he fell to the mid 2nd. Like Penix, his injury history was from two years prior, and the most recent two seasons weren't an issue. I'm not saying the two situations are in any way identical, but the point is that his slide happened because of past injuries. I just wouldn't take anything for granted about draft order.

If Penix goes something like 15th I won't be surprised. I also won't be that surprised if he falls out of the top 25 or even into the second round. These things aren't always that easy to predict.

There is also more data to be collected, including the game on Monday night, the combine, pro day, etc. I'm not ready to make predictions of who will go exactly where.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: TDToomer on January 05, 2024, 01:30:56 PMSeems like Penix will fall out of the 1st round as teams will be scared of the slot value and 5th year option. He probably needs to go to the a perfect situation where he has fast receivers and a great OL. In other words he is not an option for the Giants because of the later. Backing up someone like Prescott or Mahomes would be where he could wind up. Maybe the Vikings to groom him to take over for Cousins at some point.

Not only would the Giants need a "great o-line", but they'd need a "great RT" because Penix is left-handed and the right side is his blind side
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

BluesCruz

I like Penix alot

Hes a winner, magical, ultra quick release, incredible touch.  Release so quick and ball speed so fast, I needed to see the replay to see the ball

I dont know why but as I watched that game (quite exciting to the end)
I thought Penix had a "Jim Brown" air about him. Not that they play/played the same position- just the power, confidence, strength etc

He's that good.  I'll take him, gladly if he is still on the board

After that exhibition I expect he will be amongst the 1st 3 QBs picked
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"