News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Phil Simms calls Pennix the best college thrower he has ever seen

Started by MightyGiants, January 04, 2024, 08:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 12:44:00 PMI agree. There seems to be a view that a failure to use another top 10 pick on O line means the Giants aren't addressing the issue. They have two second round picks, one of which will be very early in the round and the other of which has a good chance of still being top 50 overall. They could use one or potentially both of those on O line. There are obviously other picks as well after those.

I appreciate that Neal looks like a bust and that OTs are hard to come by. IOLs however are available throughout the draft. You should certainly expect a quality front office to be able to find starting caliber IOLs in rounds 2-4 most years. Plenty of teams do. And not everyone with a good O line has two tackles that were both drafted in the top 10 or even first round. And obviously there is a free agent market for serviceable tackles in most offseasons.

The point of all this is just to say that folks who don't particularly want to use another top 7 pick on an O lineman aren't saying the O line doesn't need to be addressed. It does need to be significantly addressed. But failing to use another top 7 pick on O line does not negate significantly addressing the O line in the offseason.

I think some are just weary of this team being able to select the correct OL regardless of draft slot.  The current regime has selected 3 OL in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft and none have showed much thus far.  I am not saying, Neal, JMS and Ezeudu will never be good players, but as of now the results are not there. 

I know JMS is a rookie and it can take guys a year to progress.  I was as high on Neal as anyone and between injuries and poor play when on the field I have doubts now. 

Bottom line is that this team keeps dumping resources into getting players and has yet to see any results.  On the flip side, some OL who have left the team have gotten better on their new teams. 

I certainly don't think a team needs to spend a 1st rounder on an IOL, but this teams has swung and missed in the 2nd, 3rd and subsequent rounds for years.

katkavage

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 04, 2024, 12:17:28 PMBecause the OL sucked last year, mgmt knew it had to improve and made efforts to do so, and the end result was the OL still sucked. And the year before. And the year before. And the year before ...

I will NEVER trust that this issue gets resolved until the issue is resolved in actuality based on a change in performance, culture, health, etc. Until then, the assumption will continue to be that this unit will drag this team - and whoever the QB is - down once again.
Then the Giants need new management... again.

T200

Quote from: katkavage on January 04, 2024, 12:09:20 PMI'm not saying draft Penix at five but why does everyone assume that the offensive line will be just as bad next year. Do you not think management knows it has to improve and will make every effort to do so? Even if the first Giant pick is not an OL there are plenty of other picks and free agency to address the line.
It may seem like a pessimistic view but it's actually a positive one:

We're pretty positive that the line will not be fixed.  =))  <:-P
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 04, 2024, 01:09:20 PMI think some are just weary of this team being able to select the correct OL regardless of draft slot.  The current regime has selected 3 OL in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft and none have showed much thus far.  I am not saying, Neal, JMS and Ezeudu will never be good players, but as of now the results are not there. 

I know JMS is a rookie and it can take guys a year to progress.  I was as high on Neal as anyone and between injuries and poor play when on the field I have doubts now. 

Bottom line is that this team keeps dumping resources into getting players and has yet to see any results.  On the flip side, some OL who have left the team have gotten better on their new teams. 

I certainly don't think a team needs to spend a 1st rounder on an IOL, but this teams has swung and missed in the 2nd, 3rd and subsequent rounds for years.

Totally agree with that, but that's a different point from the one I was making.

Jolly Blue Giant

I never gave Pennix much thought, but I watched the game the other night, and I was really impressed. He has a cannon for an arm, and his accuracy was pinpoint accurate. He can throw a 50 yd rope without throwing it a hundred feet in the air. His throws were smooth and effortless and reminded me of Warren Moon in his prime...and that's a huge compliment. Moon might be the least appreciated QB in history. Tremendous talent
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 04, 2024, 02:05:25 PMI never gave Pennix much thought, but I watched the game the other night, and I was really impressed. He has a cannon for an arm, and his accuracy was pinpoint accurate. He can throw a 50 yd rope without throwing it a hundred feet in the air. His throws were smooth and effortless and reminded me of Warren Moon in his prime...and that's a huge compliment. Moon might be the least appreciated QB in history. Tremendous talent

Couldn't agree more.  I think Moon is one of the most underrated players in NFL history.

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 04, 2024, 09:37:53 AMIf you back up, you can also hear his and his son's take on JJ McCarthy

His son said Kellen Mond was an elite quarterback and his darkhorse pick in the draft.

DaveBrown74

Not to get too far off topic, but regarding Warren Moon (who I agree was fantastic), how underrated can you be if you're in the HOF and were in on the first ballot? Also won the Walter Payton award, which is extremely prestigious.

He was a great quarterback, but I feel like he has always been considered that, hasn't he?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 06:24:24 PMNot to get too far off topic, but regarding Warren Moon (who I agree was fantastic), how underrated can you be if you're in the HOF and were in on the first ballot? Also won the Walter Payton award, which is extremely prestigious.

He was a great quarterback, but I feel like he has always been considered that, hasn't he?

I think the die hard fans of football back in the 60's - 80's know it. The NFL knew what he was and hence the HOF induction in first ballot. Younger folks think of Brady, Rogers, Marino, Montana, Elway, the Manning boys, Rogers, and now Mahommes. As for me, I have a better memory of Roger Staubach, Dan Pastorini, Roman Gabriel, Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, Johnny Unitas, and of course Warren Moon (who I personally watched him carve up the Bills and never forgot his arm...or the stadium shaking chanting "juice, juice" when OJ hit the field). I guess certain eras of my life I had more time to watch and study the game then in other eras. The 90's and early 00's had me beating out a living that took all my energies and worked a minimum of 70 hours a week and any free time was spent going to my kids' games, plays, recitals, etc. when I was in the states. I spent over 10 years living out of hotels and airports and often flew out before the weekend in order to save the company money. So there's a black hole in memory of football
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

PSUBeirut

Moon's first year in the NFL- he was 28(!).  And he's still statistically dominant on the all-time lists...despite also playing when rules for passing were obviously much tougher.  But think about that...if this dude had played those 6 more years in the NFL, where would he be in the conversation?  And let's not even get into all of the unreal stereotypes around black QBs that this guy had to push through.

I say one of the most underrated because his name rarely, if ever, comes up when folks discuss best QBs of all time.  I think Moon and Brees are the two best throwers of the football that have ever played the game, personally.

Jclayton92

I like a lot of Qbs more than Penix or Nix. Remember with Penix and Nix, they are almost 24 playing 18-20 year Olds, they've had almost 5 years of college football compared to a lot of guys they play.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 04, 2024, 08:52:59 PMI like a lot of Qbs more than Penix or Nix. Remember with Penix and Nix, they are almost 24 playing 18-20 year Olds, they've had almost 5 years of college football compared to a lot of guys they play.

Penix was good in his earlier years, just has the injury problems.  He made Indiana competitive.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Uni on January 05, 2024, 01:40:55 AMhttps://clutchpoints.com/nfl-rumors-several-teams-worried-michael-penix-jr-s-medical-eval-so-bad-undraftable

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

At this point in time, it's highly unlikely teams have done their medical evaluations.  So when you hear comments like this one, you can be pretty confident it's misinformation being put out in the hope they can land the prospect (because he drops).

Quote"He won't even be on our board. That medical is going to be so bad that we're going to sub-board him. The only way we'll touch him is when there's no risk," Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson says, paraphrasing sentiment he's heard around the NFL.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 05, 2024, 09:10:59 AMAt this point in time, it's highly unlikely teams have done their medical evaluations.  So when you hear comments like this one, you can be pretty confident it's misinformation being put out in the hope they can land the prospect (because he drops).

Totally agree. They should be more subtle with their smoke-screens. If I'm an NFL team that's interested in Penix, and I read something like this, it just makes me think he's going to be even harder to get. Putting something like this out a few days after the guy has an historic game is idiotic from a strategy standpoint.